Assistance needed in getting driver's licenses

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
My partner and I are planning on getting our driver's licenses and are reluctant to do it on our own. I'm confident that if I were to try it myself, I would end up killing someone. My tolerance for DR bureaucracy is next to nothing.

So, that said, we are looking for someone here in the Punta Cana / Bavaro area to assist. We don't have a car (but are working on it) and I'm not sure how that affects the process of getting the licenses.

We are more than willing to provide reasonable compensation for your help.

Please PM for details/questions/etc.

Thanks in advance.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do you both have Cedulas? And do you speak Spanish? Asking for a reason.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its been said here before- many times........

Go to the Driving School.... they have good experience expediting licences..... as k for the VIP treatment.
Should be about 4000 pesos a person.

The VIP should let you skip the road test..........

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In Punta Cana, Bavaro there is no where to go to get a license. And in Higuey they work sporadically from a trailer in town once every few months. I can get it done when they are working in Higuey.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Its been said here before- many times........

Go to the Driving School.... they have good experience expediting licences..... as k for the VIP treatment.
Should be about 4000 pesos a person.

The VIP should let you skip the road test..........

I guess you missed the part in my post where I stated I detest dealing with Dominican bureaucracy. I have no problems paying someone else to deal with the bull****.

Do you both have Cedulas? And do you speak Spanish? Asking for a reason.

Cedulas: Yes
Spanish: Mine is pretty awful, my partners is okay.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can put you in touch with someone who works for a car dealership in Higuey. He can call you when they are operating in Higuey and you would have to meet up with him in Higuey. But he speaks no English, nor does anyone else that works there, so you really need someone fluent to deal with this guy.

PM me if you are interested. Also, I have no idea how often they work there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Insane.... the VIP obviates the Dominican system - thats why I thought you'd like it.

They answer the questions for you and oversee your application - less than hour in all.

No bureaucracy whatsoever..... my kind of system.

You have two choices here in RD -- Bureaucracy or VIP.... you choose

oh, btw- make sure its legit - if you're not in the DOT office, fingerprints and photo - don't pay

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
To the OP,

In Santo Domingo getting a drivers license is probably the least bureaucratic thing you can do in the country, it's painless and rapid, some Spanish helps a bit but it's all a piece of cake, try it, it's fun, it's part of living here.
You want bureaucracy ?, try and get a gun license and then try and renew it. Good luck...

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
To the OP,

In Santo Domingo getting a drivers license is probably the least bureaucratic thing you can do in the country, it's painless and rapid, some Spanish helps a bit but it's all a piece of cake, try it, it's fun, it's part of living here.
You want bureaucracy ?, try and get a gun license and then try and renew it. Good luck...

Gun lic. not a problem- Banco R pay than go to the lab and pee- pick up new cards in 10 days.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Insane.... the VIP obviates the Dominican system - thats why I thought you'd like it.

They answer the questions for you and oversee your application - less than hour in all.

No bureaucracy whatsoever..... my kind of system.

You have two choices here in RD -- Bureaucracy or VIP.... you choose

oh, btw- make sure its legit - if you're not in the DOT office, fingerprints and photo - don't pay

Okay... just to be clear. Do we go directly to a DGTT office? You mentioned in an earlier post, "go to the Driving School". Do you mean go to "any" driving school or is there a special "Driving School" affiliated with the government. Where is this driving school?

Someone else mentioned Higuey but I thought I read somewhere that there is an office in La Romana. If I go to a DGTT office are these "VIP" assistants just hanging around? How do I know if one is legit?

This is why I made my initial post in the first place. I don't want to have to deal with this crap. I just want to pick someone up and they tell me where to drive to. They do all the negotiating. Tell me where to stand, what to sign, what to pay, etc. My Spanish sucks, which is why I'm certain if I try to do this on my own I'll screw something up. I have a very hard time trusting anyone in this country so I figured I could get a local ex-pat whose willing to help out (for a fee of course).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Any driving school will work.... get a local reference if you can .

No gov't sponsored schoo;ls to my knowledge.

Places like Sto Domingo are btter for propinas than the hinterlands - if you ask me.
Day trip to SD - get licence - have a nice lunch - drive home legally.

Cedula--- remember.... getting that fast/easily is trickier