Van from airport to Zona Colonial

Mir

Feb 28, 2013
Almost all sources say a taxi is needed to get from the airport to the Zona Colonial; however this wiki travel page gives another option:

"Alternatively, go up to the second floor at the Arrivals (at the very end), where a minivan will accommodate up to 8 passengers for a ride (70 pesos or ~ 2 USD, 1/2 hour) to the Zona Colonial (only). For further distances to the center (i.e. to the Caribe Tours Terminal), you will need to negotiate just like you would have with the usual un-metered taxis."

I would love love love this, but feel pretty iffy about it without confirmation in a guidebook or from other people. The site says it was recommended by the tourist desk at the airport. Has anyone heard of this? We'll just have our backpacks, so we don't need a taxi for luggage reasons.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
here is the section from the wiki although I have never heard of a wiki travel page before

and have certainly never heard of the van to the Zona.. Nor would I ever recommend to tourists that they take a bus and walk 20 minutes.. talk about penny wise and pound foolish. Seems like the taxi is a good investment compared with 20 minutes in the sun with luggage on the side of the highway.. ugghhh..

anyway, Mir,, I would spring for the cab.

From the airport You can book your airport transfers in advance. Can try Dominican Airport Transfers[8] one of business leaders, you can actually get an instant quote and book online on their automated site but the office is located in the city.
Taxis charge anywhere from US$25 to US$40 for the drive from the airport into Santo Domingo.
Unlike most major metropolitan areas, there are very few roaming taxis in Santo Domingo. Even if you see one, it is best not to take a chance, it can be dangerous. In most cases you have to call a dispatcher to have a taxi sent to your location. This isn't a problem and most businesses will gladly call a cab for you. Relatively expensive, usually US$ 4-15 per average trip and possibly more if you use one of the friendly cabs waiting in front of your nice hotel lobby. Again, depending on circumstances, you may find that hiring a cab driver for the day is a good bargain.
Alternatively, go up to the second floor at the Arrivals (at the very end), where a minivan will accommodate up to 8 passengers for a ride (70 pesos or ~ 2 USD, 1/2 hour) to the Zona Colonial (only). For further distances to the center (i.e. to the Caribe Tours Terminal), you will need to negotiate just like you would have with the usual un-metered taxis. To return, the cheapest option is to go to the corner of Av. Sabena Larga with Av. Las Americas (walkable in 15 minutes from Zona Colonial), where this same van may be there, or if not take the bus going to Boca Chica (40 pesos, about 1h); ask the driver to stop before the express route to the Airport, from where you can walk (about 20 minutes, some 2 km). I would not recommend this return during night time, nor do I know if lack of Spanish will hinder this option (hardly anyone speaks English in the bus, around the terminals etc). However getting to the city center seems more viable, that van was recommended at the Tourist Desk in the airport, and some sort of authority (with a badge) was entertaining the driver while waiting for the car to be filled.
Bottom line: taxis are convenient but expensive.
Also be sure to never get into stray cabs at night or cabs that aren't sent by a dispatcher, they are not the safest. Another note, some cabs will put several passengers in at once, each paying a separate fare.

Mir

Feb 28, 2013
Yes, I read all the information, but I'm only planning on using this van to get from the airport to Zona Colonial, not for the return trip. Our return flight leaves early in the morning, so we will take a taxi to the airport then and just suck it up with the expensive fare, but since when we first get to the DR our flight arrives late afternoon, I thought the van from the airport to Zona Colonial sounded simple and cheap if it really existed.

you can catch the bus to boca chica at the isla gas station on 30/march (around the corner from the conde). it will take you to a bus station where you transfer to the boca chica express. the cost is 70 pesos. ask to be dropped off at the overpass at the airport entrance where you will find moto conchos who will take you to the terminal for short money.(50 pesos or so) there is a van as mentioned above from the airport (usually used by airport employees) that you can take into the capital (usually parked by 1st door of terminal on upper level as you go up the ramp.

Thank you for confirming about the van!

SharonY

Mar 17, 2013
Hello Mir,

Can you confirm if the van from the airport to the Zola Colonial exists, have you used it since you posted this question?

Thanks,
Sharon

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
A mini van will not take 8 people to the CZ for RD560, I can assure you of that. Unless they now have rerouted the local guaguas (which i know they haven't) and have permission from airport taxi clan (which I know they would never get). It is possible to get a mini van from airport taxis, but not for that price.
I figure they are referring in some way to grabbing a drop off vehicle, which many people do.

for me, I just never get what people are doing coming here if the cost of a taxi from the airport is in any way at all an issue. If you're looking to save Mil peso just to get to the city then I struggle to see how you are going to have anything of a good time in the capital. It's not the place to be for penny pinchers.

SharonY

Mar 17, 2013
Thanks for the info Givadogahome, I think you are right, I will just take a taxi. When you intend to travel for a week and have a certain budget to do so, making small savings here and there (especially on transport) adds up and can help, and means you can spend more on enjoying the local cuisine and buying local art to bring back home, it doesn't make you a penny pincher in my mind. :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
SharonY:
Do you have a hotel res in the colonial zone. If so, contact your hotel and have them make arrangements for a taxi to pick you up at the airport. They will negotiate the price and let you know. Don't forget a tip about 10% min. Have fun.

LTSteve

SharonY

Mar 17, 2013
Yes I have a hotel reserved there. Great advice, I will do that. Thank you LTSteve.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sharon:
In the Colonial Zone, don't miss going to Alcarzar, Don Diego Colons house. Also go to see the first church in the new world. There is a hotel across the square from the church called Hotel Conde de la Penalba. It is a great old colonial building and they have a wonderful outdoor cafe. Great place for coffee or a drink and people watching. There are tour guides who want to show you around the Colonial Zone. Some of them can be very imformative but just be aware that they also want to bring you to souvenir shops to get you to buy something so they will make a little kick back. I would however recommend that you have a guide. Good luck.

LTSTeve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sharon if you like history, when you are in LT take the tour to go to Taino Village. It is about 45 minutes away. It is all about the history of the Taino Indians, the first indigenous people, and their interaction with the Spanish.

LTSTeve

SharonY

Mar 17, 2013
Thank you so much for all those tips! People watching from a nice caf? is one of my favourite hobbies :)

So you really do think getting a (competent) guide for the Zona Colonial is recommended....?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yes, get the guide. you will learn much more and have a better time.. just avoid going into the trinket shops that they want to steer you into ... buy the larimar from the larimar museum until you know larimar and stop at a cigar store if you know a smoker.. go up to the San Francisco Ruins and see the Museo de Casas Reales...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
A guide is probably a good idea if you are genuinely interested, I am embarrassed to say that most fly by night tourists know more of what it has to offer in the way of history and significant culture than I do, and I've been here quite a while. I may very well have seen something significant, but wouldn't be aware of it as it's never been pointed out to me.

Mir

Feb 28, 2013
for me, I just never get what people are doing coming here if the cost of a taxi from the airport is in any way at all an issue. If you're looking to save Mil peso just to get to the city then I struggle to see how you are going to have anything of a good time in the capital. It's not the place to be for penny pinchers.

For things like transportation to/from airports, I definitely will be a penny pincher. I do the same in the U.S., taking the city bus to the airport for $1.50 instead of taking a taxi for $30 or driving and paying for parking while I'm gone. Sure, it takes more than twice as long, but then I have $28.50 more to spend on fun stuff during my trip.

Thanks for the information that the cost quoted on that site is likely unrealistic.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Having visited various countries in the world, it is a bit strange that there is no public transport to/from Las Americas. (On the other hand, Punta Cana has a bus stop very close by.) Many cities have a metro or bus stop relatively close by. But as mentioned by a previous poster, it really has to do with the transport unions here.

Having said that, given the lack of security at Las Americas (last year, someone stole the chain-link fence), first-time, single, and/or female visitors are much better off asking their hotel to send a taxi. The cost is around US$40 (RD 1,600 pesos), and many drivers prefer to take dollars. After a long flight, the sense of security with a confirmed taxi is worth the cost.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yes it would make sense to have a bus from the airport. I am sure there is probably a local one not far from the airport but you would have to be a local to know where to get it. I think if you tried to start a bus service you would find your tires flat or your vehicle damaged.

LTSTeve

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Can anyone verify whether there actually is an airport minivan you can get in at the corner of Av. Sabena Larga with Av. Las Americas?