Super Lama opening soon at Palma Real

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The signs are up now - looks like Super Lama is going to be opening after all. Good news for residents of Cocotal, especially, but does the B?varo Punta Cana area really need YET another supermarket?

Feb 7, 2007
I find Super Lama much more expensive than La Sirena, and La Sirena slightly more expensive than Iberia. In Higuey/Romana, that is.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I find Super Lama much more expensive than La Sirena, and La Sirena slightly more expensive than Iberia. In Higuey/Romana, that is.

You are correct on this. Iberia definitely has the lowest prices of any of them, but lacking a bit in selection in the Bavaro, Punta Cana area. I doubt Lama can compete on price here, but it will help anyway. Just don't buy any electronics there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Odd, I find Plaza Lama cheaper than the other supermarkets in SD on a lot of things. They've always been cheaper for coffee, for example. I remember that one in particular, because we bring back 20-30 pounds of beans each trip, and 10-15 pesos each adds up.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Agree, Iberia the cheapest supermarket in Bavaro-Punta Cana.
Not having all stuff we can find at Pola, but enough to make the normal shopping to make kitchen plenty of everything ...
When going to Pola for any reason, just take that opportunity to buy some stuff that I dont find at Iberia, like some kind of cheeses, etc ...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT recently has observed Pola revamped its Bavaro store to carry more housewares. Guess their maketing gurus figured they could use former isle space to serve the houseware needs of new settlers. However, suspect this change was done at the sacrifice of quantity and selection of food essentials. Items that PJT found in abundance are disappeared or in short supply, ie: beer selection. The honeymoon with Pola is over. PJT's honest opinion of this move spells disaster for Pola should Plaza Lama start to carry product that Pola no longer carrys.

Regards,

PJT

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Nacional is the best place to shop in Bavaro, PC area in my opinion. But each place has it highs and lows.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree on both counts. I have to admit that we reduced our monthly shopping bill by about one-fifth by doing most of our shopping at Pola (as opposed to Nacional). I don't like it as much but it's definitely not as expensive. Super Lama has, or used to have, a reputation for poor hygiene - but I'll be giving them the benefit of the doubt.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
. Super Lama has, or used to have, a reputation for poor hygiene - but I'll be giving them the benefit of the doubt.

The truth be known all stores in the DR do is to what the public expects of them. If the public does not give a heck about the hygiene, then why should they care to be spotless clean. Yet, in this tourist zone, the three existing major food stores, El Nacional, La Pola, and Iberia have made an honest effort to maintain good hygiene because it is what the public expects and demands of them.

Regards,

PJT

agw

Feb 14, 2010
We heard today, that not only is Plaza Lama opening in one month at Plaza Real, but Jumbo is going into the new mall they are just starting at the intersection of the highway from the airport and the road to Veron. Basically right next door to Super Pola.... We heard correctly about Plaza Lama a year ago, so I have no reason to think that it isn't correct about Jumbo.

That would be 5 stores in just what? 3 or 4 years?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
PJT recently has observed Pola revamped its Bavaro store to carry more housewares. Guess their maketing gurus figured they could use former isle space to serve the houseware needs of new settlers. However, suspect this change was done at the sacrifice of quantity and selection of food essentials. Items that PJT found in abundance are disappeared or in short supply, ie: beer selection. The honeymoon with Pola is over. PJT's honest opinion of this move spells disaster for Pola should Plaza Lama start to carry product that Pola no longer carrys.

Regards,

PJT
I beg to differ on the possible debacle of Super Pola. Grupo Ramos has a history of reducing or removing product lines that are not selling well from any of their stores, and they do tailor each situation to the reality of each store. This is why they might have a certain product line in one store and not in another. This is hard to verify when their is only one Grupo Ramos store in the vicinity, although the La Sirena in Hig?ey might be carrying those products that the Super Pola in B?varo is no longer selling or has reduced the space dedicated to them. But in Santo Domingo this is easily verifiable. Sometimes the stores are mere minutes away and one store will consistently have more of a line of products and not in another store less than a kilometer away and vice versa.

On the other hand, the B?varo-Punta Cana area has among the highest average incomes in the country and is one of the fastest growing areas in both, economy and population. Its also the area with the highest concentration of foreigners, after Santo Domingo. Not only do I think there's a market right now, but there will be a much bigger market for all of these stores in the not too distant future. If a store fails it will be due to their own carelessness (maintenance or customer service issues) thanks to the greater competition.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Nacional is the best place to shop in Bavaro, PC area in my opinion. But each place has it highs and lows.

I've noticed Nacional mentioned before, but don't know where it is located in P.C. Where is it?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
gezzzzz.... that's right - I should have remembered (almost senior moment) ... thank you for the memory jog.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I have never been to Nacional, I always go to Iberia or Pola. I keep hearing thier priced higher so I have never
bothered.