Dengue Fever: Do you know what to do?

Dengue Fever...

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One of the most widespread diseases with basically no viable treatment (thanks in part to the absence of this disease where it counts -aka, the rich countries-), people should be aware of what can be done to prevent being infected by this mosquito spread virus. Every year the DR goes through waves of Dengue infections, some of which become deadly.

The poll is quite straight forward. Pick the answer that best suits your experience with this disease. If you have been infected, pick the first option; but if not, but know someone that has been infected, then pick the second option. The last two options are quite straight forward.

Share experience you have had with this disease, whether as a victim or as related to/knowing someone that was infected.

What are the symptoms like?

What can be done once infected to reduce the symptoms?

How can someone identify Dengue on someone else?

How to avoid getting the disease?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You need to know that Dengue is also known as "Bone break fever"...it is that bad...You think your bones are going to break..Rash and Fever like you won't believe.

As far as I know, there is no real cure for it. You will be given acetomenophen or something similar; lots of fluids, and anything to keep the fever down.

It can have lasting effects, so:
Make sure there is NO standing water anywhere near your house.
Sleep with mosquito nets
Make sure you know if there is anyone nearby with dengue.

Mosquitos are the vectors, so death to all mosquitos.

HB

The "word with the bark on it"": http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002350/

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Break Bone Fever.... it can affect your joints - serious pain/inability to ambulate/walk on your own.

My version came with only a headache... behind the eyes.
A headache so severe you cannot sleep.... or function normally.
You may thrash your legs and arms from the pain.

Your blood count and liver function go berserk.

It starts with a VERY high fever (in some cases).... may feel like the 'gripe' in mild cases.
Will last for 10 days or so -- I was 11-12 days before the pain subsided.

Very little treatment b/cit will interfere with your blood restoration.
Acetephetamine for the pain/fever and IV rehydration......lots of it.

There are 4 types in total, they tell me - as you experience each of them , you will develop some immunity.
I have had 2 so far..... the first time I thought it was an extended 'gripe' session..... tired, listless, a bit of pain/discomfort.
I had no treatment.

This last bout was more easliy identified - excruciating........

It ain't fun......
Life's cruel -- I can't win the lottery, but I can find that one mosquito.

If only there was a high stakes "Needle in the Haystack" game around here - I'd enter.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I've had dengue three times. Twice in Puerto Rico and once in DR. There are several types (I recall four). Some give up to one year's immunity. The hemorrhagic type is what I had here. In addition to the fever, chills and muscle pain, the hemorrhagic dengue turned the whites of my eyes flag red and bruises sprouted everywhere, even blood through the skin.

Went to HOMS and recovered without transfusions by copious amounts of guayaba (guava) juice blended with red bell peppers to fatten up the platelets and raise their count.

Since a malaria-like illness in Sumatra nearly 40 years ago, I've had to delay treatment of fevers until I identify their source by profiling my temperature. My Nemesis has 6-8 hour high peaks with shattering chills. (The first time I broke a tooth with my knee during the tremors.) Attempts to treat Nemesis put me in a long coma the first time. At my age now, it would kill me. So it's a life and death issue with me to identify fevers before treating them — as ordered by my doctors.

Dengue has a double hump fever, the second lower than the first, and it tapers off into a low grade fever that can last a week or even more. Treatment is absolutely necessary when hemorrhagic signs appear. Non-hemorrhagic types usually can be suffered through like the flu by non-senior adults.

For a picture of the mosquito and more information about dengue punch up http://www.thornlesspath.com/parasites.pdf

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Break Bone Fever.... it can affect your joints - serious pain/inability to ambulate/walk on your own.

My version came with only a headache... behind the eyes.
A headache so severe you cannot sleep.... or function normally.
You may thrash your legs and arms from the pain.

Your blood count and liver function go berserk.

It starts with a VERY high fever (in some cases).... may feel like the 'gripe' in mild cases.
Will last for 10 days or so -- I was 11-12 days before the pain subsided.

Very little treatment b/cit will interfere with your blood restoration.
Acetephetamine for the pain/fever and IV rehydration......lots of it.

There are 4 types in total, they tell me - as you experience each of them , you will develop some immunity.
I have had 2 so far..... the first time I thought it was an extended 'gripe' session..... tired, listless, a bit of pain/discomfort.
I had no treatment.

This last bout was more easliy identified - excruciating........

It ain't fun......
Life's cruel -- I can't win the lottery, but I can find that one mosquito.

If only there was a high stakes "Needle in the Haystack" game around here - I'd enter.
This...

At first, I didn't realized I had Dangue last April, I thought I was just having a bad flu. And I went through that "same flu" last December. I might have got dangue more times when I came here for weeks at time for several years before I did the move. Many people here have told me if I had dangue I will not be able to move and I will definitely have to go to hospital. But they were wrong. I was dying from pains and tiredness but I was able to move and worked. It's just awfully painful especially that sharp pain behind your eyes, I don't think there's a English word that can describes how painful it is.

As you laying down, you well know that how much you are suffering and dying from headache and pain behind your eye.
And all of sudden....
Yippee!!!!!
You feel that sneeze or bad coughs coming....
Now.....
Your eyes waters as you know that there's nothing that can do to stop that multiple exploding pains you are about to endure.
You faint as you let that sneeze go and curse and yell "SOMEONE JUST SHOOT ME NOW!"
Wake up 15 minutes later and repeat the process....

Dangue is scary and you won't know how scary it is unless you had gone through it's evil pains. Now, every time I catch a common cold (just like right now) I get more angry because at first I automatically think it's dangue and brain brings back that wonderful pains.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You guys are scaring me!:eek:But it's better to be well informed.Dengue fever is
not to be taken lightly.

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
This...

At first, I didn't realized I had Dangue last April, I thought I was just having a bad flu. And I went through that "same flu" last December. I might have got dangue more times when I came here for weeks at time for several years before I did the move. Many people here have told me if I had dangue I will not be able to move and I will definitely have to go to hospital. But they were wrong. I was dying from pains and tiredness but I was able to move and worked. It's just awfully painful especially that sharp pain behind your eyes, I don't think there's a English word that can describes how painful it is.

As you laying down, you well know that how much you are suffering and dying from headache and pain behind your eye.
And all of sudden....
Yippee!!!!!
You feel that sneeze or bad coughs coming....
Now.....
Your eyes waters as you know that there's nothing that can do to stop that multiple exploding pains you are about to endure.
You faint as you let that sneeze go and curse and yell "SOMEONE JUST SHOOT ME NOW!"
Wake up 15 minutes later and repeat the process....

Dangue is scary and you won't know how scary it is unless you had gone through it's evil pains. Now, every time I catch a common cold (just like right now) I get more angry because at first I automatically think it's dangue and brain brings back that wonderful pains.

Sounds just what I am going through right now, we got back 2 weeks ago and I just thought I had a bad flu ! I have been working through it the best I can, I could sleep on a clothes line at times and my bones have been aching, eyes sore and painful

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's not always easy to diagnose yourself... it can slip by you as Gripe..

I finished my hospital stay at Clinica Abreu in SD..... the doctor there (who has had all 4 types of Dengue) told me NEVER to drink the guave juice - after I had at least 2 jugs full in Cabrera.
He claimed it would make you vomit.

I have a VERY strong constitution about vomiting - I admitted that I felt sick but didn't vomit after drinking it.
He was dead serious about it and treated it a "Native Cure"... not true medicine.
Suit yourself on that one....

Oh, I too had the hemoraghic type - which you only get as a second or third type of Dengue.
The SD doctor said that the Hemo one cannot be your first experience.

That 's the only reason Iknow I must had a prior experience..... it was totally undetected or treated.

Did I mention no drinking for a month after???
While your liver functions recover??

Just when you need it most............. POOF !! not allowed:tired:

rubia1981

Jul 11, 2011
I contracted dengue fever in November. It is one of the most frightening experiences. If you have managed to 'work' whilst having this, I very much doubt that you had dengue. I didn't even have the energy to lift my arms above my head without breaking out into a sweat and having to vomit from the exertion.

Mine started with an itching sensation on my skin, then I developed the most excruciating headache (one that cannot be relieved with painkillers). This then developed into extreme fever, sweating turning into extreme chills. My body ached all over and I had pain all down my legs until I could no longer stand.

Then came the eye pain - unbelievable. My white blood cell count dropped dramatically and my liver stopped working properly. I was hospitalised throughout.

It came in two waves. After about 4 days i thought i was getting better, then came the second bout. This was worse than the first for me. My case was haemoragic (which is the worse of the two outcomes). On top of all the above symptoms, I had bloodshot eyes, bleeding gums, bleeding under the skin (forming rashes). I was vomiting throughout, had no appetite and when I did eat, couldn't keep it down. I lost loads of weight.

It literally took my body a month or more to recover from this. A very scary experience. The doctor told me I will have a year immunity to that particular strain of dengue, but if I encounter a different strain, then my immune system will not recognise it, and therefore help it to invade, making it more severe next time.

It is everywhere in the DR, I know numerous people who have had it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He did say Homo......

Asked me if I had anybody to call in an emergency.... In SD

I gave him your name... he screwed up his nose and said "Homo"
Must have worked with you in the hospital at one point..........

Ms Eve

Mar 27, 2013
www.kudoshealthclub.com.au
Dengue fever..one of the most dangerous disease in the world which can kill you. I saw some people in my life which had dengue fever ,,and the death was there destiny. i see also very whom recover form dengue and live health life.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I've had dengue three times. Twice in Puerto Rico and once in DR. There are several types (I recall four). Some give up to one year's immunity. The hemorrhagic type is what I had here. In addition to the fever, chills and muscle pain, the hemorrhagic dengue turned the whites of my eyes flag red and bruises sprouted everywhere, even blood through the skin.

Went to HOMS and recovered without transfusions by copious amounts of guayaba (guava) juice blended with red bell peppers to fatten up the platelets and raise their count.

Since a malaria-like illness in Sumatra nearly 40 years ago, I've had to delay treatment of fevers until I identify their source by profiling my temperature. My Nemesis has 6-8 hour high peaks with shattering chills. (The first time I broke a tooth with my knee during the tremors.) Attempts to treat Nemesis put me in a long coma the first time. At my age now, it would kill me. So it's a life and death issue with me to identify fevers before treating them ? as ordered by my doctors.

Dengue has a double hump fever, the second lower than the first, and it tapers off into a low grade fever that can last a week or even more. Treatment is absolutely necessary when hemorrhagic signs appear. Non-hemorrhagic types usually can be suffered through like the flu by non-senior adults.

For a picture of the mosquito and more information about dengue punch up http://www.thornlesspath.com/parasites.pdf

You are 100% correct on taking the guayaba and red sweet peppers. Works better for raising my platelets than medicines prescribed by my doc in SD. (Inmunoferon 500mg). Utter useless (for me), make me feel terrible. The juice on the other hand,is one of the most pleasant drinks both in flavour and texture. I was advised of this by an elderly woman in the campo. I can raise my platelet count up from 60-70,000 to over 100,000 in a matter of a few weeks drinking this, and at this point the chronic tiredness subsides and I feel great.

The doc in the city pow pows the virtue of the stuff, the doc campo (Dr. Gomez Diaz), says nothing finer, and my monies on the local remedy this time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My doctor ay Clinica Abreu (SD) said never touch the juice - not good for you.

I guess you never know.... before seeing him, I had 2 large jugs - with no improvement on platelet count.

The passage of time is the only cure - some say

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my brother in law in the hospital right now. dengue, apparently. his plaquetas falling sharply. worse still, my in laws are away so i get to cook for him. surprisingly he has strength to eat large amounts of food...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Sounds just what I am going through right now, we got back 2 weeks ago and I just thought I had a bad flu ! I have been working through it the best I can, I could sleep on a clothes line at times and my bones have been aching, eyes sore and painful

I think if you had Dengue you would not be able to look at this screen. I've been through some crap, pain and illness in my life, but Dengue took me to another level, I thought I might be experiencing a swollen brain or something. It is unmistakable for sure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
dv8... I couldn't eat anything for days..... just awful.
It willlast 10 days or so - if it is Dengue , just rest and fluids.
Ther liver takes a beating - noalcohol for a month afterwards.

GDH, my attack was the hemo one - a type you can only get after you've had a prior Dengue.
I didn't know I'd had Dengue before but in thinking back tolast year, I had what I thought was Gripe - it lasted for almost 2 weeks.
In retrospect, it must have been Dengue.

Some attacks, especially the first, can be milder than others. I was just very 'fluish'

The second one, this year - I could barely stand up.. just headache and sore behind the eyes.
They say if you get the real 'breakbone fever'. where your joints ache that walking is extremely difficult.

So, Whiskey - you may have Dengue.... nothing to do, don't worry... and you'll have a bitof immunity.
Good luck