One way ticket to DR

Gibster

Mar 3, 2013
Hello everyone,

My family (wife and daughter) and I intend to buy a one way ticket from Sydney, AU to SDQ.
I have a Dominican passport but my wife and daughter only have an Australian passport at the moment.
Will this pose any issue in entering the country? Can we still all enter DR with a one way ticket?
We don't know how long we're staying.

Regards,
Gibster

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Tough question. I guess it all depends on how the folks at immigration feeling that day. I had always bought a one way tickets coming in to DR and we had no problem entering. Me and my son US passport my wife Korean passport. If in doubt buy full refundable ticket and you shouldn't have to worry about this.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you have a problem be allowed to board you can purchase, as suggested above, fully refundable return trip tickets at the airport and then get the refund on those tickets after you enter the DR.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
This may actually also depend on your airline. I know we have on occasion been stopped in the past at our orginating US city and asked for our return ticket. We then had to show our DR residency cards and explain to them we live here. Most times we are not asked at all. Just depends...

Bob K

Chris Dogan

Nov 6, 2012
www.twitter.com
i was also worried about this same problem, so i had a copy of my apartment lease contract showing i had residence here, as well as a letter from my employer showing my start date. didn't need any of it, they waved me through without incident

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It is up to the individual airline whether or not you will be allowed to travel one way. Every time I have booked reservations out of the States the various airlines I have used would not sell me a one way ticket to the DR. If you can get a one way I don't think Dominican Customs and Immigration will be a problem in allowing you into the country. The only tricky part will be your passport status. If you only have a Dominican Passport than you will go into the line for citizens where as your wife and daughter will probably have to go through the tourist line. I am really not sure how that works in your case. Good luck.

LTSteve

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in my last trip to europe i was asked for the proof of residence when checking in for my return trip. airline requirement.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Its more the airlines that are an issue wanting to get you to pay for a two way ,especially american airlines and certain european ones ,,But the issue of you being separate entering and your family being tourists .... And changing rules ... if you could fly from Australia to vancouver BC and take west jet from vancouver to the dominican republic ,you most likely would be able to pull it off . because you could then alway book a one way out quick online if an issue arrises....

Feb 7, 2007
in my last trip to europe i was asked for the proof of residence when checking in for my return trip. airline requirement.
Which airline?

I traveled on Air France multiple times and last two years on Condor (out of VIE) and was not asked, ever (knock knock)

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009

Me too, I traveled back here on Monday Evenings BA flight from Hong Kong, and at the in town check in facility in Kowloon, was asked to show my residency as my ultimate flight was SDQ, I was ticket through with BA/ American on the last leg. Apart from being asked the usual stuff on entering Miami, about my reason for trip to the DR, nothing else was asked or requested.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Which airline?
I traveled on Air France multiple times and last two years on Condor (out of VIE) and was not asked, ever (knock knock)

air belin. i traveled before with both air france and iberia and i cannot remember any fuss.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my worry here is that this family will travel from australia. this a looooong way. it is better to be safe than sorry. i assume a flight from australia is with different airlines for different parts of the trip. why take a risk that on the last leg from europe or america they will be told no go?

and, in regards to immigration queues: when i travel home with miesposo we always go via citizens of EU gates even thou only i have european passport. spouses and kids can always join a citizen of the country/area they enter.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes, as DV said, when one of the souses is a citizen of the destin country, the family can use all together the Citizens line for immigrations, at least that's the case for the European Union and also when arriving in the DR.
i fly Condor between Punta Cana and Frankfurt/Germany often, the last 2 flights out of Frankfurt I've been asked for "return ticket or residency card" at the Condor check in counter, it never been the case before.
i never heard that immigrations here asks for the return ticket upon arrival, but could not tell such by own experience, as i always use the Citizens Line with my residency card, and there a return ticket is of course not needed anyways.
for the family coming on a long connection from australia, maybe you can add to your series of tickets a additonal last legg to Puerto Rico as a refundable ticket, that way you have the "required documentation" at hands and once here you can cancel that for a refund.

Mike

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Cant they just buy two refundable one way tickets from RD to Miami or Puerto Rico.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The airlines that ask that you have a "Return" are just covering their own A$$!
International flight rules state that if you are refused entry at your destination, the airlines is responsible to get you out!
Forty years ago, I was told by "Quantus" that if I wanted to enter Australia, from Thailand, I must have a valid "Return" to Thailand before I could board the flight.
I bought one.
However, "Back Then" they didn't have "Fees" for cancelling a future ticket, or canging flight times/dates either.
When I left Australia for New Zealand, I got credit for the unused ticket, plus the additional amount in CASH!
My, My,My, how"Things" have changed!
I am now , SOMETIMES asked by Jetblue in Boston, if I have a "Return" from SD.
To avoid the hassle, I always buy a "Return, as many months in the future as I ca. Usually 8 months or more.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Cant they just buy two refundable one way tickets from RD to Miami or Puerto Rico.

if such tickets are offered/vailable as Full refundable ones, such would be an option.
of course only if Australian Citizens get a easy Visa for the USA/Puerto Rico.
the OP stated that one of the family is traveling as a DR Citizen, that one would need a Visa for the entry of PR.

Mike

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
The airlines that ask that you have a "Return" are just covering their own A$$!
International flight rules state that if you are refused entry at your destination, the airlines is responsible to get you out!
Forty years ago, I was told by "Quantus" that if I wanted to enter Australia, from Thailand, I must have a valid "Return" to Thailand before I could board the flight.
I bought one.
However, "Back Then" they didn't have "Fees" for cancelling a future ticket, or canging flight times/dates either.
When I left Australia for New Zealand, I got credit for the unused ticket, plus the additional amount in CASH!
My, My,My, how"Things" have changed!
I am now , SOMETIMES asked by Jetblue in Boston, if I have a "Return" from SD.
To avoid the hassle, I always buy a "Return, as many months in the future as I ca. Usually 8 months or more.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Good answer CCCCCCCCCCCCC......Please proceed to the front of the class. :cheeky: