Hola! I am new here.

aimeecollins

Mar 3, 2013
I have been to the D.R. once and am going again this month. Our plans to move there are coming along but I have so many questions.....especially health related questions. How can I find out if I can get my medications at the local farmacia without a prescription?

You could find a pharmacy when you come back and visit and ask them if they carry your Meds? As far as I know you don't need an actual prescription from any doctor for meds in the DR.

We just moved here 5 weeks ago from Canada and it is not at all like Vacationing for a few weeks so please take the advice that so many people told me RENT IN THE AREA YOU THINK YOU MIGHT WANT TO LIVE IN for a few months first before buying or making the big move. Safety is also a HUGE concern.
Enjoy all the great info you will get from the people on Dr1. I didn't want to believe some of the stuff that people say on here about the DR but I'm finding out it is ALMOST ALL TRUE!
:)

aimeecollins

Mar 3, 2013
We have some friends that are expats so we have been given good info. I think we are fairly informed. What part of the dr did you move to?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
All those considering a move to the DR, safety should be your number one priority in deciding where to live. It is not our first thought in North America but it should be anywhere in the DR. I live in a gated condo complex and have never had a problem but friends I have you own homes ALL have had break ins. If you are going to be a seasonal resident in the DR think about what you would need to do to protect your dwelling before you purchase anything.

LTSteve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Drug prescriptions can be mailed and sent from the US or Canada and freight forwarded to you by one of the companies in the DR, such as, CPS. This is a safe and economical way to get your meds.

LTSTeve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Aimee"
Welcome to "DR1", your "One Stop" site to learn all about the DR!
REALLY!
Now, the reality sets in!
With 2 posts on DR1, you have a Loooooooooooooong Way to go.
First,you need to ask VERY SPECIFIC questions, if you want Very Specific answers!
REALLY!
If your "Expat Friends" have lived full time in the DR for many years, "Listen To Them", and "Possibly" follow their wisdom.
If they don't live here,own property here, and have several years experience, listen politely to them,but change your "DR Advisers".
The combined wisdom of DR1ers has been estimated at 10,345 years, and growing!
So,tell us your, " Who,What,Where,Why,When,and How Much", and we will respond.
REALLY!
My personal advice is to pay more attention to the "Nay Sayers", than the "Rose Colored Glasses" crowd!
Remember, "Fore Warned, Is Fore Armed!!!"
Better to be Well Prepared for the worst, than getting your "Glasses" broken while you are looking through them.
Here you will find, "The Good, The bad, & The Ugly',but it won't be on the "Big Screen", it will be in "I MAX, 3 "DR" vision!
Come, ENJOY, But just like a "Boy Scout" you better be PREPARED!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I think I'll make a list of the "Merit Badges" we all can "Earn" living in the DR! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

aimeecollins

Mar 3, 2013
We are very lucky in that our friends have been living in the D.R. for many years, full-time. There have proven to be an invaluable resource. Do any of you see a doctor in the D.R.? What is your opinion on the health services available?

aimeecollins

Mar 3, 2013
We are definitely planning on renting first. I agree that is the best decision to get a feel for the area first. Canada! Quite a change!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What is your opinion of the postal situation? I have read mixed reviews.

What "postal situation"?
Occasionally the Dominican Postal system works.
If you actually need something important to arrive, you MUST use a freight forwarding service such as E.P.S.
Been discussed on many other threads.

Last edited:
We have some friends that are expats so we have been given good info. I think we are fairly informed. What part of the dr did you move to?

We moved to Las Canas, Gaspar Hernandez which is about 15 min East of Cabarete.

I wrote a long reply but then lost it, I hate when that Happens!!

We moved to a non gated community b/c that is more our style but we are adding bars to the windows, getting an alarm, built a cement fence, have 3 dogs getting at least one more, added more lights to the area, have a camera security system and i bought a hand held "Personal Security Device". Most expats houses I believe have been robbed around us.

The most frustrating thing I find is that you can't trust anyone here and shouldn't and the sooner you figure that out the better!

We have had a lot of things repaired and built since we got here and most Dominicans will say they know how to fix things or build something and that they are "professionals" but many don't know what they are doing so make sure you get references from non staff, expat people who have been here for a while like your friends.

We bought beachfront, so be prepared if you want beachfront that the sea air erodes things very quickly and that is an added expense. For instance my screwdriver I brought with me is pretty rusty from only being here 6 weeks.

It is wonderful here though, I'm just extra cranky from having no privacy for 6 weeks b/c we have had workers here everyday doing things :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I wouldn't mail anything from Canada Post and expect it to arrive with any certainty through the Dominican Postal Service. If it positively has to be there than stick with Fed Ex or UPS.

LTSTeve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"HOG"
WD40 is your friend, and so are big "Ziplock" bags.
Spray your "TOOL", make that "Tools" with WD40, and store them in the bag.
If you do, however?," want to spray your "TOOL",before use, be sure to use a good "PENETRATING" oil! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:;)
We have a tall fence, 3 big bad dogs, and we NEVER leave the house empty!
15 years, no problems.
But the General of the "Policia National" and his police watchmen right next door,probably hasn't hurt either!
Security, like property value, depends on 3 things.
"Location,Location, and most important, "Location!
Did I say "LOCATION"?????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
NOT EXACTLY!!!
"MY" General kills a "Ladron", he goes to bed.
Your X-Cop" kills ANYONE, he goes to jail!
Either way, you are protected.
Tell the cop to "pm" me when he arrives.
He will receive "Special Treatment" from the "PN", and military here because of his service.
CCCCCCCCCCC