Living in DR

Cha12

Mar 5, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have been living here in Santo Domingo since October. I am here for work and will stay here until at least 2014. I've been perusing DR1 since before I moved here for tips on living/things to see and do but I thought I'd finally register as a member and join the community. Plus, I think I've been here long enough that I may actually be helpful to people thinking about traveling or moving here.

There are a lot of really great things in the DR, obviously the beaches (I've been to Cabarete and Samana-Las Terrenas, and also the closer-by Juan Dolio, but there are many more I'd like to go to!) and the general happiness and helpfulness of people. I do find myself getting homesick quite a bit though. I'm no stranger to traveling and being abroad, but there are a couple of things here I just can't get used to: 1) super machismo and whistling at/harassing me on the street, 2) ubiquitous hyper-Christianity. It's so jarring to hear strangers say "Cristo te ama" as a greeting, and seeing "cristo viene" as graffiti on the walls.

Other than that though, I'm having a good time :) . I'd be happy to meet up with fellow expats (or locals!) who are in Santo Domingo, either living or visiting.

Also, if there are any beach/other natural wonders excursions that anyone knows of, I'd like to know about them.

Saludos!

Crockettt

Mar 3, 2013
I will be coming to visit for 5 days next week. Not decided on where I will be Santo Domingo or Juan Dolio ! Some days I want the beach scene but then like today I would like the culture of the city and the history.
Any ideas or suggestions ! I kind of need a wing man as they have been saying. I am coming solo as a treat to myself before my kids go on springbreak.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
The guys "whistle" at you on the street. How dare they. That sexual harassment is outrageous.
In the States a guy can and does get fired for that type of behavior. Here, no problemo.

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
Cha you will get use to the machismo here. The people are very religious but do all the crazy things anyway. And hope God forgives them.:sleep: But that is life. I have been living here for over a year and sometimes I am still not use to it. SD is fun. Crockett the beach is cool if you have a few friends. But can get old quick especially when everyone looks at you like a dollar sign. It can be fun.
Zona colonial is fun to hang out. I am still looking for a great pastry and cake shop. One that does not cost $10 dollars for a slice of cheesecake. The search continues.

Liong

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
Hi Cha12! Glad to hear you're having a good time, even though you're homesick!
We're moving down (me, husband and our son) to StoDgo this summer and I'm so excited!

I know what you mean about the machismo (it's similar in Argentina, but the whistling and the comments are much worse in the DR), and even though I wish you didn't have to, I think you'll get used to it and eventually you won't even hear it (at least I hope so!).

Where are you from?

Saludos

//Chennifer

Cha12

Mar 5, 2013
Thanks, Chennifer. I try to ignore it but some days it irritates me more than others. It really is much worse than any other country (Latin America and elsewhere) I've been to. A few days ago some guy "helped" me open the gate to my apartment building because my "delicate hands can't use too much force" or something like that. He straight up told me I'm a weak woman who can't open her own doors. I wanted to say a string of mean things, but I just smiled and walked away.

I'm from the US, although of Mexican and gringo descent. I was most recently living in New York City, which I miss a lot! Although, I'll take DR weather any day to NY winters...

Welcome to Dr1!

I find the God stuff pretty crazy as well but it isn't so much diff from traveling to small town USA or Canada....

Where are you homesick from? I thought I would be crazy homesick but I don't even want to go back and visit!! Maybe in a few months I will feel different though??!!

Cha12

Mar 5, 2013
I think I'm mostly homesick for NY. I'm originally from Arizona, which I never really miss except for the people I still know there.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!