Citizenship and naturalization process

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Is anyone familiar with the sequence and timetable of the citizenship and naturalization process? I am thinking about beginning it within the next few months.

The way I understand it, the first step is to schedule an appointment for the Spanish-language interview. This should be scheduled at least 2 weeks in advance I have heard. Can it be scheduled for a specific day, or would I summoned whenever they are ready for me? (This is important for me because I live in Europe and need to schedule appointments a while in advance).

The next step (assuming I pass the exam) is where things get confusing for me. I think I would have to return to Santo Domingo 7 months after the interview to take part in the swearing-in ceremony. Then in a third step I would have to return 3 or 4 months after that to pick up my citizenship cedula, Dominican passport, and Dominican birth certificate.

Can anyone confirm whether this information is accurate and complete? It would be nice to have a timetable and an overview of how many visits to Santo Domingo are necessary from the date of application to the date that the passport can be picked up. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is what you need to do.

1. A letter asking to be a citizen to the Executive Committee via the Ministry of Interior and Police.
2. Five recent photos 2x2 from the front, with your hair short and clean shaven.
3. Two (2) certificates from the Immigration Department confirming that you have more than two years Permanent Residency in the country and that you have deposited a guarantee letter with them.
4. Colour photocopy of your residency with at least 4 months to go before it expires.
5. Certificate of good conduct from the Procuraduria General. (That has to be done in the capital)
6. Original birth certificate, translated into Spanish by a legal translator, apostilled, or if the country is not part of the Hague convention legalised in the Dominican embassy or consul and the Ministry of Foreign Relations here. The translation has to be legalized by the Procuraduaria General.
7. Letter of guarantee notarized and legalized by the Procuaduria, done by a Dominican, economically solvent, and where he guarantees that they are responsible for your morals, finances, cost of maintaining you and repatriation if necessary. In addition they must provide:
a) Copy of their cedula.
b) Copy of title of house
c) Copy of vehicle matricula
d) Bank letter
8. Legal declaration in front of 3 Dominican witnesses where the applicant declares that they live in the Dominican Republic, done in front of a Notary Public in the DR and legalized by the Procuradura General.
9. Receipt from a national newspaper for advertisement saying you are applying for citizenship.
10. A receipt for the application for naturalization (RD$1,500.00) plus the application form. Make sure you use the correct form which is available here Consultor?a Juridica - NATURALIZACIONES
11. When the applicant is sworn in as a citizen need to pay (RD$5,000.00).
12. Colour copy of the last three pages of the applicant’s passport.

The questions for the Spanish exam are on the same link as the application page.

Matilda

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
8. Legal declaration in front of 3 Dominican witnesses where the applicant declares that they live in the Dominican Republic, done in front of a Notary Public in the DR and legalized by the Procuradura General.
Matilda

That is interesting and important to know. So does this mean that one actually has to be physically living in the DR to apply for citizenship? I've never heard of this before. I wonder if it would be sufficient if a law firm allows the applicant to use the firm's address in the DR on the declaration.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
That is interesting and important to know. So does this mean that one actually has to be physically living in the DR to apply for citizenship? I've never heard of this before. I wonder if it would be sufficient if a law firm allows the applicant to use the firm's address in the DR on the declaration.
You gotta be kidding :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why would you want a dominican citizenship if you do not live here? care to explain? because the only reason i can think of are all related to crime: the need for a "clean slate", avoiding taxes/alimony/fines, money laundering...

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I'm not involved in any crime nor have I ever been. I am considering moving to the DR in the future. I'm somewhat surprised by this because it is not necessary at all to live in the DR to obtain residency.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'm not involved in any crime nor have I ever been.

isn't that the infamous quote from al capone? ;)

I am considering moving to the DR in the future. I'm somewhat surprised by this because it is not necessary at all to live in the DR to obtain residency.

forgive my skepticism, but i have not seen before a person who does not live here at all present such interest in dominican citizenship.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
isn't that the infamous quote from al capone? ;)

forgive my skepticism, but i have not seen before a person who does not live here at all present such interest in dominican citizenship.

Well apparently there's nothing I can do to convince you I'm not involved in dubious activities. So please think what you like. There are probably hundreds of thousands if not more than a million Dominican citizens living outside of the DR.

The question remains whether it is really necessary to be actually living in the DR at the time of citizenship application.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
There are probably hundreds of thousands if not more than a million Dominican citizens living outside of the DR.
The question remains whether it is really necessary to be actually living in the DR at the time of citizenship application.

yes, this is true. but those folks are actually dominicans. born here. of of dominican parents. does this apply to you? why on earth apply for a resident of a country you barely visited and you do not live in?
as far as your question i think matilda has replied already: yes. and i have been kind enough to call my mother in law who is a lawyer and she says that you actually have to live here to apply for citizenship.
on the other hand, there is nothing money cannot buy. i have seen ads on a polish website about DR: a citizenship at request, 25k dollars.

B J

Feb 20, 2013
you must watch the POLISH they are all criminals, hide your money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM KIDDING SORRY!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
go ahead :) i do not get offended for bashing polaks :)
that particular polak offers anything imaginable at unimaginable prices. my guess is he has bribed his way to all sort of places...