Activities for teen girls in SD

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
Ok, so we have a couple of sobrinas who are really great girls who spend their time studying and helping out at home. They're not allowed to go into the city by themselves, and since everybody works they rarely get the chance to do anything fun in the city. I was wondering if anyone knew of any activity/place that would be nice to take these girls? I know they both love to bake and read (even though I'm sure they would appreciate a break from reading and baking/cooking as well). If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I'm trying to gather all the info I can before we live in a few months and while our baby is napping :)

Saludos
//Chennifer

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Most teenagers like malls, movies, fast food, boys, not necessarily in that order. Studying and baking? It does not sound like that much fun to watch cake rise. Only kidding, I am sure you are being protective living in the Capital. How about taking them to the Zona Colonial to learn about the history of the DR. That is always fun and a learning experience at the same time. Make a day of it. Go out to lunch at the Hard Rock cafe. That will impress them, Mom. Also be sure to tour Diego Colon's original stone house. It is a look into life of 500 years ago. Go luck.

LTSTeve

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Thanks LTSteve!

Yes, Zona Colonial is a good idea since I didn't get to see too much of it myself, so I'll have fun too :)
I've seen so many activities for kids (museums, pekepolis edupark, etc), isn't there something similar for teens? Or just any places that they like?

/Chennifer

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Chennifer:

Perhaps those that live in SD came chime in with some ideas for museums,etc. I am really not that familiar with a lot of the city. One other idea is also go to Altos de Chavon in La Romana. If you have never been there it is worth a family outing. Google it and you will get all the info you need. It is a re-created Roman Village now used as an Artists retreat. Bring a picknick lunch with you.

LTSteve

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
mueseo de casas Reales.. the Royal house museum in the Zona is the one for teens.. take the Coca Cola tram tour of Zona Colonial.. Then over to Acropolis Mall for dinner at TGIF which is where the teens are dropped off for social nights on Friday and Saturdays... The Parque Botanica is great and the zoo is an adventure although I sometimes thing that they hide the animals.But definintely go to the Larimar museum and the Zona

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Jardin Botanico", Hands Down the best place to go in Santo Domingo!!!
Morning is best.
Take a ride on the tram.
If they haven't been, you MUST take them!
YOU will love it as well!
Cris Colon

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Thank you so much guys!

LTSteve - there are many places outside of SD where I want to go, and Altos de Chavon is the first place on my list. I've wanted to go there for years! I wish I was younger and could go to their art school ;)

mointainannie, thanks you! The museums sound great. I would never have guessed TGIF would be the place to go! And to Botanico I can even bring my baby son :)

Criss Colon, thanks! Yes I know I'll love it. Jardin and Parque Botanico is the same place, right? Can you eat there or should I bring a picnic?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Please be aware

Chennifer, please be aware so there is no surprise :surprised, the Altos de Chavon is a great place to visit at an entry fee of US $25 per person.

PJT, like Cris recommends the Jardin Botanico. The orchid garden is a feast for the eyes.

Regards,

PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It is called the "Jardin Botanico".
When my girls were younger, 5 & 6 "ish", we took a lunch, and their 3 wheelers.
We would sit under some trees in the parking lot, eat, and "Ride"!
Don't forget the "Zoo"!
Don't expect much, and you won't be disappointed!
It's more to see the school kids visiting and enjoying themselves, than the animals.
I live 1 block above the zoo, you can visit me, if you want to see a REAL ANIMAL! :bunny::bunny::bunny:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
PJT, thanks! Good thing it's not that close to SD ;)

Ok, Cris, sounds like a perfect place for an empanada-lunch!

This is great, I have ideas for several outings now! So glad to have all this info before we're there - who knows if or when our Internet connection will work once we are there? :)