BLACK BAMBOO - the plants @ where to buy?

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Wow, no replies...I guess bamboo is not sold anywhere in the Dominican Republic? :rolleyes:

What if, someone was to bring a couple of well rooted single bamboo culms cut to approximately 2.0? in length and packed in moist sphagnum moss - in their luggage from the US?

How bad is DR customs with something like this>?

Heavy fines and jail time?

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
I'm not in DR yet, but from previous threads I can tell you nobody has an answer.

It depends on who is there at what time, and what side of the bed he/she got up on... how late are his/her bills, etc. etc.

What I've been told by people who live there is that your best bet is to pay a "maletero" and let them take care of your luggage.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Gitana, that is entirely right, pay the guy to carry your luggage, give him tha luggage reciet(sticky bit on ure ticket), and u should have no problem.... I travel from europe once a year ( 6months here, 6 months there) and we always have at least 8 bags( my wife drives me crazy) so u would think they would check..... never. Its a well spent 150/200 pesos.....

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Wow, no replies...I guess bamboo is not sold anywhere in the Dominican Republic? :rolleyes:

What if, someone was to bring a couple of well rooted single bamboo culms cut to approximately 2.0’ in length and packed in moist sphagnum moss - in their luggage from the US?

How bad is DR customs with something like this>?

Heavy fines and jail time?

You will have to fill a paper for the department of agriculture. What will be your answer to: are you bringing plants......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listen, any vivero should have bamboo. i don't know if black... but normal bamboo grows well here, i saw it in many places: offices, houses, gardens and just on the side of the road.