Sosua Vendors

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
After repeated attempts to say no to the vendors/massage ladies/concho drivers etc in Sosua recently, thought I'd try a different tact and had this made! Let's see if it works next holiday :)

100_0369_zps777d7840.jpg

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Mamajava

Oct 19, 2012
lol You could probably make some good money on these! Sometimes a walk on the beach or down the street is an exercise in avoidance of all those things, often all in the same day! I love it!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Great business model... Hire a few street vendors to sell your shirts. Just make the beginning exclamation upside down. :)

I have often thought of that exact shirt.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One huge problem. You can read it and understand it. They cannot. 1.4% of the vendors might understand:

National tests fail 98.6% of all students

Santo Domingo.- 98.6 percent of the students in the elementary and high school levels who took the national tests during the 2011-2012 period failed all four subjects in the first round, by not reaching the required 65 points.
Of the 220,348 students evaluated, only 3,129 (1.4%) scored 65 or higher.
Grade school students had the most difficulties, as only 801 passed the four subjects, or 0.6 percent, while in the high school, it was between 3 and 3.3 percent, in the median overall technical- professional area.
The students’ performance evaluation with the national testing was introduced by the Think and Grow Foundation, chaired by former Education minister Melanio Paredes.
The organization released its second report yesterday on Classification of Educational Institutions (CLACE 2011).
The “school ranking” spanned 5,466 public and private schools, of which 3,587 are elementary, 1,677 medium level, and 202 professional- technical level.

<ins></ins>
Source: DT
Category: DR News |

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
One huge problem. You can read it and understand it. They cannot. 1.4% of the vendors might understand:

Santo Domingo.- 98.6 percent of the students in the elementary and high school levels who took the national tests during the 2011-2012 period failed all four subjects in the first round, by not reaching the required 65 points.
Grade school students had the most difficulties, as only 801 passed the four subjects, or 0.6 percent, while in the high school, it was between 3 and 3.3 percent, in the median overall technical- professional area.
The students’ performance evaluation with the national testing was introduced by the Think and Grow Foundation, chaired by former Education minister Melanio Paredes.
The organization released its second report yesterday on Classification of Educational Institutions (CLACE 2011).
The “school ranking” spanned 5,466 public and private schools, of which 3,587 are elementary, 1,677 medium level, and 202 professional- technical level.

<ins></ins>

I'll just have to revert to shaking my head and saying "No Gracias" on those occasions!
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Not to worry, they learn in grade school they can buy the answers from the teachers.

<ins></ins>

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I thought about putting a sign across the top of my windshield that saids' "NO LAVADO".
But they sneak up from behind you and toss their sponges onto the windshield.

So I want to add an additional windshield washer nozzle and pump to squirt the windshield washers.

"R"

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I thought about putting a sign across the top of my windshield that saids' "NO LAVADO".
But they sneak up from behind you and toss their sponges onto the windshield.

So I want to add an additional windshield washer nozzle and pump to squirt the windshield washers.

"R"
I think I have convinced a few of these boys not to bother with my windshield. After having a little conversation with one at an intersection I often go thru he now tells his buddies that not to wash mine as I don't like it. I slipped him a few pesos and he always passes me by. I never give them anything unless they ask permission to do the job beforehand and then I pay them not to do it. The soapy water just mucks up the glass worse anyways. Today they just waved to me and moved on to the next car.

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
let's see if we revert situations and you need the extra $5 to feed your family. As a Gringo instead of selling something you would pull out your big gun a shoot anyone moving near you to get the $5 you need. Being poor is not a crime. Save the hassle and stay back where you came from!

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
let's see if we revert situations and you need the extra $5 to feed your family. As a Gringo instead of selling something you would pull out your big gun a shoot anyone moving near you to get the $5 you need. Being poor is not a crime. Save the hassle and stay back where you came from!
You might want to check in which section I posted the thread before becoming too judgmental!!!
PS - We don't own a big gun (wouldn't know what to do with one!!) and whoops!! too late, already bought an apartment so can't stay back where I came from, sorry :)
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Turning on the wipers and wash before they throw the sponge works for me. Then I finger wag, smile and shaked my head. I refuse to let them annoy me but I do look around 360 degrees when I stop at lights. It has become a game.
As for the street vendors I have found that saying in a loud voice in Spanish "I live here" while smiling works every time. Have to remember that to them tourists all look alike and pushey sales tactics work.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
LOL... I had an "anti-vendor" t-shirt made for the Admiral for Christmas. In bright 4 inch letters it says: ?Yo Vivo Aqui! (special order for the ?, LOL) She forgot to bring it for our last visit ... but I suspect Winde is correct... to have half a chance of it working in P.C., it would have to be in French or Haitian Creole... if the written word would work at all.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012

Another example of justification of "4% for education".
Maybe it would help keep some of the clowns out of "The Clown Bin".

wv6fyb.jpg

"R"

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012

I would love one of those shirts and many times I have thought of doin the same thing...but just because your white doesnt automatically make you a ATM machine and a souce for lies and deception in order to take your money!!
Thats all been well and yes there is poor in this country but there the ones who are not begging.The ones that are are just after there next 'GRANDE' or bottle of 'BRUGAL' ..not wanting to work and wanting too are two different things.In the time I have spent here I have watched and observed,not just the Hot girls asses,but the regular day to day people..I have had hundreds just come up to me asking for money and some can be pretty forceful and persistent when I first came here I gave as I fell in to the trap but as time went on I sat and watched.I saw them go from one after the other telling there tales for 50 pesos for whatever then next minute standing at the Comido buying a Grande or bottle of Brugal..passing me by like 5 times a day on Motoconcho which are not free.Even I walk as I dont have that kind of money.Funniest thing I think s when they come up to you saying there hungry and there carrying food or eating !!!..or the mothers with the babies asking for money to feed them and you saw them 5 minutes ago with trays of food and dont look under nourished..I saw yesterday a young boy begging for money outside La Sirena in Sosua with his Gringo Minder who didnt look poor.the boys that walk Sosua all day that no one knows who there parents are..watch them take there money to those cash changers across the street from Rumba...Most have to make there earning before they can go home..Boca Chica is well organized like a well oiled machine.They all know each other but pretend not too_One minute you see them begging on the main strip but go off there and see them drinking in the back streets and eating large meals..ive seen many a shock on some of there faces when i have caught them out...
Poor is not a crime..if you are genuinely poor...most these people are not..wish I could afford some of those huge cars they pull up in at the Playa on weekends and they huge houses which most people think gringos own..most dont want to work..I give Haitian people one thing and the women who walk the streets selling fruit etc carrying them on there head...there working to earn a living not holding out there hand expecting everyone to keep them...maybe if they didnt lie so much people may help!!!!
AND if we do all go home.this place would be a wasteland with no tourist, businesses or investors..another Cuba.. and who would you beg off then?

I think there would be a huge market for those shirts with different things on..someone should give them a go

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
As for the street vendors I have found that saying in a loud voice in Spanish "I live here" while smiling works every time. Have to remember that to them tourists all look alike and pushey sales tactics work.

I don't live there, but I've learned to walk like a Dominican. When they see my dominican stroll it throws them off. By then I'm past them.

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
I saw yesterday a young boy begging for money outside La Sirena in Sosua,

Say Mangos, where in Sosua is a La Sirena?

Typo and there's always got to be one and isn't sosua Puerto Plata under same district anyways...least be constructive and not go through peoples post just to point out mistakes