moving to the DR soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolecan

Mar 14, 2013
Hola!!
We are moving to Sosua after this summer and cant wait!! I have only been once and loved it. I never thought this was possible but here we come from Ontario, Canada!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Can't wait to follow all your posts!
I TOO Love Sosua!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
That must have been SOME Visit!!!!
What made you decide to move there?

nicolecan

Mar 14, 2013
Wow thanks for all the replies!! Yes it was quite the visit....did not just stay on the resort. Coming soon to buy a house....looking in a gated community, but not glued to it

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Wow thanks for all the replies!! Yes it was quite the visit....did not just stay on the resort. Coming soon to buy a house....looking in a gated community, but not glued to it

Every Worldly location consists of two images.

(1) The glamorous one that only visitors see and enjoy.
(2) The real life one that you will wake up to one day.

Rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent!

"R"

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
We bought our home here ....omg....without renting first (please DR1 gods, don't strike us down!). My husband and I came here for our honeymoon, and we knew immediately, we wanted to stay forever. We bought our place here in El Cortecito after a four year search that took us all over the island. Before I retired the most we could come down for was a week, because I had to get back to work. We didn't like Sosua, but for some we know it is amazing. Here, we have more ability to travel around the Island, and there is so many Canadians here, although I wish it was less touristy sometimes. Welcome to the Dominican Republic.
I may be a newbie (after living here two years only), but expect little, then you will be amazed when you get so much more .... and mould to the place you are in, instead of expecting the whole place to mould to you.

Every day I wake up , I am grateful to be here.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Congratulations to the OP. It is amazing how many people have recently said they are coming to the DR to live!! I wonder what are the various reasons for the recent surge.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
nicolecan:

You got the bug, you got bit, you now have island fever. Thankfully there is a cure. You will find it when you get back here. Take your time looking for a house. Remember that security is the number 1 priority here. There are a few different "gated communities". Be sure there is adequate security. Sosua is a very pretty area. You might want to take a road trip and look at other areas before committing yourself. You are in for the long haul, take your time and don't rush the process.

LTSTeve

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
We bought our home here ....omg....without renting first (please DR1 gods, don't strike us down!). My husband and I came here for our honeymoon, and we knew immediately, we wanted to stay forever. We bought our place here in El Cortecito after a four year search that took us all over the island. Before I retired the most we could come down for was a week, because I had to get back to work. We didn't like Sosua, but for some we know it is amazing. Here, we have more ability to travel around the Island, and there is so many Canadians here, although I wish it was less touristy sometimes. Welcome to the Dominican Republic.
I may be a newbie (after living here two years only), but expect little, then you will be amazed when you get so much more .... and mould to the place you are in, instead of expecting the whole place to mould to you.

Every day I wake up , I am grateful to be here.

Please pay close attention to the BOLD / HIGHLIGHTED part of the above post.

"R"

Feb 4, 2013
Nicolecan, welcome to DR1, wealth of information and incredable stories, some funny some scarey. We too are also from ON, Canada. This is our third trip to the DR, we stay for a month at a time and travel around the island abit. Listen to the DR1 pros, don't rush, really check lots of different areas. Sousa is great if you like the crowds and action, things tend to be a little more expensive because it is touristy. We are settling in the Cabrera area. Probably going to snowbird it for a while, hoping to be full time one day. Need a game plan. Cabrera is not so much touristy, the town feels pretty safe. Really do your homework when finding a real estate agent and lawyer. Highly recommend Guzman Ariza (Julio Brea) for a lawyer. Also recommend not buying at sea level (Too Hot), the hills offer a nice breeze. If you any questions you can PM me. Best of luck on your adventure.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Please pay close attention to the BOLD / HIGHLIGHTED part of the above post.

"R"

I knew the DR1 Gods would strike me down. :rolleyes:

We immediately knew we wanted to be here, but yes, we took our time looking. We probably wouldn't have spent so much time looking, except for the fact that I could not quit my job immediately, so why rush? Also, we always knew it would be El Cortecito. We just went to the North Coast once to check it out, knew it wasn't for us, and went back to Bavaro area to look around. Our price range was more North Coast, but our hearts were not there, despite a huge ex pat community there. We love it here because we can travel around easily.

Oh yes, here is the shocker. I feel pretty safe here. Don't judge me please.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We need a Thread, called "BUYER'S REMORSE" :disappoin:disappoin:disappoin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those who bought here, without RENTING FIRST, could post their "Horror Stories" there for all to see! :cry::cry::cry:
You Know, the ones who thought they were right :rolleyes:, and "WE" (Those of us who actually have many years residing on this "ROCK", Know, and UNDERSTAND, what's good, and what's NOT in the DR, or What's Safe, and what's NOT) are NOT :ermm:!
We don't hear from too many of those folks, they just "disappear" from DR1 forever.
I call them the "Hot Stovers"!
You can tell them 100 times, that "The Stove Is HOT,You Will Get BURNED if you touch it!!!!!"
Later you see them with their hands bandaged.
I am a man of "Simple Pleasures", one of them is telling people who choose to ignore DR1's "Voices Of Experience"..
"We Told You Sooooooooooooooooooooo!" :laugh::laugh::laugh:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Perhaps those hot stovers got tired of the negativity that is often times perpetuated here on DR1? I've got thick skin and an open mind so I don't mind it so much, I read the forum at least once a week, but I rarely post because I don't want to be attacked on the internet. Perhaps I am not the only one? I don't know.
I bought my place sight unseen, as the first deal had fallen through and only my husband was available to come here to look again. So not only did I buy without renting, I let my husband pick the place while I worked. That takes trust in a relationship. Because I have a teenage son in Canada I am only able to come down for the winters (he stays with his Dad), but I will and would move here in a heart beat. Every day I love it here more and more. The people are so gracious, by that I mean the Dominicans, the Haitians and the expats; everyone. Whenever I am bored there is always something to do. The cost of food here is so much lower than Canada, and everything tastes so much better. I can light a cigarette here without getting a fine. We have made more friends here than we have ever had in Canada. We don't feel pressure to always be busy, we are allowed to just enjoy. You can stop here and talk on the streets with anyone, and not feel like a wierdo for being friendly.

We got a good deal on our apartment, and we love it. We enjoy having pride of ownership. We rent it out when we are not here and use the money gained from the rental to have more fun here while we are here, or to redecorate, or buy a scooter. Next year we are going to take the funds and go to Thailand for a month before coming here for the rest of the winter. Yes they are hard to sell. But if you buy in a good building, keep the place nice, it will not be impossible. Places here in my building sell all the time, even though there are new buildings going up all the time.

All of that and more, is why more and more people are coming here. Thats your answer. Yes there are negatives here. There is anywhere. But sometimes the heart just knows when it is happy.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
And Criss, If it is so horrible here. Why don't you just go back to wherever you are from? There are flights that leave daily.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I WOULD, but I'm afraid I might have to sit next to someone like YOU!
And then there are all those "Dominicanas" here,who need me to buy some "Leche Y Pamper", that I have the urge to help out!
ps., if you go to "THIGHland" you might meet some of my kids!
When I lived there I had the "URGE to help out TOO!!"
It's just that the DR is only 4 hours from Boston, and thousands of dollars cheaper for the ticket!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.