US phone number questions: Calling the US / Receiving calls from the US

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I currently have a US phone number, sim card and US plan as well as have a google voice account but not a separate google voice number (at least not yet).

I would like to keep my US phone number if possible or at least get a US phone number when in the DR.
Can I get a DR plan and keep my google voice US number?

And finally, I'd like to be able to call the US for free or for pretty cheap displaying possibly the same number.

All of this can happen over wifi or 3G if needed.

I hope I didn't make this too complicated. Thanks all!

--
Manuel

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I use my Google voice number while in the D.R. with my computer and I use Skype number with an android phone on wi-fi. The other stuff you ask about is too technical for me to understand.

"R"

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I use my Google voice number while in the D.R. with my computer and I use Skype number with an android phone on wi-fi. The other stuff you ask about is too technical for me to understand.

"R"

You can do better than that Don!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I am doing exactly what you want. I ported my cell phone number to Google Voice and I've been using that number to call and receive calls from US. Simpler way to do this is just buy a app call GrooveIP. But there are free alternative way as well, like sipdroid and manual sip settings with voip app will let you receive and call US from your android phone for free. When I bought GrooveIP app it was on sale when I bought them and I thought it was way worth paying for because other app had some voice quality problem when I was using it on my old phone.

1. Do a search on google on porting your phone number.
2. do a search on free call app.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Great information, I will do more research and write findings here.
In the meantime, please feel free to add some more to this thread.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can also buy a Magic Jack and link it to your cell phone with the Free Call APP MJ. Both for IOS and Android phones. This would give you a number in the US and all calls to and from are free. So you can use a real phone plugged into the MJ, and your cell phone will ring also when someone calls you.

Works well from here.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I actually don't bother plugging in my Magic Jack any more. The app works beautifully on my Android phone and the voice quality is better than when I had the device connected to my computer.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I actually don't bother plugging in my Magic Jack any more. The app works beautifully on my Android phone and the voice quality is better than when I had the device connected to my computer.

I have a Motorola Droid that is not activated and I only use it for Wi-Fi.
Where can I find the app to put on it for the Magic Jack?

Thanks

"R"

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
So my plan is to get my phone number ported over once in the DR.
My US plan will then be terminated. I will need to get a new DR data plan and should be able to receive phone calls to my old US number at that point (need to add new DR number and set a forward as per instructions).

-----------------------------------------------

Port your number into Google Voice FAQ - Google Voice Help
[h=3]How to port your number into Google Voice[/h]Here’s how to port your number into Google Voice:

1. Visit voice.google.com
  2. If you already have a Google Voice account visit your Settings and select Change / Port under your Phones tab. If you are new to Google Voice you may immediately see a pop-up asking you to select the type of account you want.
  3. Select I want a new number.
  4. Type your mobile phone number and then click Check for available options.
  5. Select Port your number.
  6. Select the checkboxes under “Things to understand before porting your number to Google Voice”.
  7. Click Next: Phone Verification.
  8. Follow the prompts to verify your phone number.
  9. Enter your account information and then select Next: Confirmation.
  10. Confirm your transaction and then select Next: Checkout.
  11. Checkout with Google Wallet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now in regards to calling from abroad:

It looks like calling options are: Gmail Phone, Talkatone (iPhone), or GrooVe IP (android) apps (such as sipdroid).
Because there's really no advantage calling via Google Voice in terms of rates and such.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/voice/3IxY2bXnBvU

Sounds good?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Is you phone number under contract? Check to see if you are out of the contract and they won't send you anymore bills. I have received a stupid bill from Verizon wireless, and it turns out they owed me money and I got about $70 credit back.

I am not 100% sure on this since now I just call directly from my cell but confirm if you can confirm the US number to DR number. (I don't think they can). This is why you need to go though extra app.

Just follow this if you have android phone.
1. Open Google Voice App.
2. Log in to Google voice.
3. When ask to "Verify your number" go to home screen.
4. Open a Groove IP.
5. Log in using Google voice account.
6. Call and receive away for free!

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Call forwarding with your Google number - Google Voice Help

If you're using Google Voice with a Google number (including a number that you've ported into Google Voice), your Google number is now your hub for getting all of your calls. So, when people call your Google number, you can have your calls forwarded to different phones.
For example, when someone calls your Google number, you can adjust your settings so that it rings your home landline phone, work phone, and mobile phone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

So you are saying that they can't forward onto an international number there? That's quite possible, which means that I couldn't get calls to my US number unless I am on wifi or have a data signal, am I right?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Call forwarding with your Google number - Google Voice Help

If you're using Google Voice with a Google number (including a number that you've ported into Google Voice), your Google number is now your hub for getting all of your calls. So, when people call your Google number, you can have your calls forwarded to different phones.
For example, when someone calls your Google number, you can adjust your settings so that it rings your home landline phone, work phone, and mobile phone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

So you are saying that they can't forward onto an international number there? That's quite possible, which means that I couldn't get calls to my US number unless I am on wifi or have a data signal, am I right?
Correct.
I have just tried and it doesn't work. You will need data or WiFi and App like Groove ip to receive calls through your cell.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Is anybody using Vonage? It works great for me down here, but I've been on it for years and maybe Google Voice is better now? I pay $30 per month, have a U.S. number, call and receive calls fine. When I'm out I forward it to my Dominican cell phone. It even has a bypass that will automatically forward to my cell phone if the Internet is down at my house which thankfully doesn't happen much at all where I'm at now. The first place I lived at on the North Coast had terrible Internet.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Is anybody using Vonage? It works great for me down here, but I've been on it for years and maybe Google Voice is better now? I pay $30 per month, have a U.S. number, call and receive calls fine. When I'm out I forward it to my Dominican cell phone. It even has a bypass that will automatically forward to my cell phone if the Internet is down at my house which thankfully doesn't happen much at all where I'm at now. The first place I lived at on the North Coast had terrible Internet.
I got ooma but I have never activated it. I believe they are cheaper per month but you have to buy the device. I don't know if you can forward to DR number though. I just don't call us enough to use it maybe in future it will be put in to good use if our voip dies in our company....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have a service where you pick the area code from the states and for around 800 pesos RD per month you get unlimited calling to and from the states. The down side is that it is for a house/business phone not cell phone

I currently have a US phone number, sim card and US plan as well as have a google voice account but not a separate google voice number (at least not yet).

I would like to keep my US phone number if possible or at least get a US phone number when in the DR.
Can I get a DR plan and keep my google voice US number?

And finally, I'd like to be able to call the US for free or for pretty cheap displaying possibly the same number.

All of this can happen over wifi or 3G if needed.

I hope I didn't make this too complicated. Thanks all!

I have a service where you pick the area code from the states and for around 800 pesos RD per month you get unlimited calling to and from the states. The down side is that it is for a house/business phone not cell phone

--
Manuel

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
So yesterday here is what I did:

- When under my Google Voice settings and got a google voice number (I already was using google voice as a service and had google voice installed on my phone).
- Installed GrooveIp Lite (works on wi-fi only, the paid version works on 3G/4G).
- Under Google Voice settings, I checked the Google Chat forward option and unchecked my carrier phone number.

I was then able to receive IP calls to my phone on wifi when the Google Voice number was dialed.
However, when my regular number was called, GrooveIp wouldn't ring. I signed out of Google Voice on my phone and signed back in, now when the regular dialer phone rings, I decline the call which triggers the GrooveIp app to ring. I can then benefit from not using any "minutes" on all calls.

Under GrooveIp settings, I decreased microphone gain and speaker volume to reduce (and practically eliminated) the echo. There's a slight delay I'd say about 1+ second between the time something is said and is received. So it adds up to 2 seconds when receiving the answer. However, the call quality was excellent but can be a little crappy on a weak wifi.

So now I'm setup to call and receive calls between US/Canada from anywhere in the world with a wifi. This is really good.
The next step is to port my phone number so that my regular number becomes my google voice number and people who call me would call me on IP only.

Thanks all for your help, really good information on here.
Again a dr1'er to the rescue!

PS: I should have set this up earlier to use a plan with fewer minutes.

Feb 15, 2005
So yesterday here is what I did:

- When under my Google Voice settings and got a google voice number (I already was using google voice as a service and had google voice installed on my phone).
- Installed GrooveIp Lite (works on wi-fi only, the paid version works on 3G/4G).
- Under Google Voice settings, I checked the Google Chat forward option and unchecked my carrier phone number.

I was then able to receive IP calls to my phone on wifi when the Google Voice number was dialed.
However, when my regular number was called, GrooveIp wouldn't ring. I signed out of Google Voice on my phone and signed back in, now when the regular dialer phone rings, I decline the call which triggers the GrooveIp app to ring. I can then benefit from not using any "minutes" on all calls.

Under GrooveIp settings, I decreased microphone gain and speaker volume to reduce (and practically eliminated) the echo. There's a slight delay I'd say about 1+ second between the time something is said and is received. So it adds up to 2 seconds when receiving the answer. However, the call quality was excellent but can be a little crappy on a weak wifi.

So now I'm setup to call and receive calls between US/Canada from anywhere in the world with a wifi. This is really good.
The next step is to port my phone number so that my regular number becomes my google voice number and people who call me would call me on IP only.

Thanks all for your help, really good information on here.
Again a dr1'er to the rescue!

PS: I should have set this up earlier to use a plan with fewer minutes.

Good info. When you say from an IP phone, can someone call GrooveIp from any cell or just from a client on a computer?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have Groove IP on my cell phone and I can receive calls from regular land lines as well as from cell phones that do not have Groove IP. Also, if it is set up correctly, Google Voice will send a transcription of any voicemails from missed calls to my gmail address.

ETA: I believe in redundancy. I run both Groove IP and Magic Jack!