7.5 KwP Photovoltic System Installed & Kudos to a DR Gov. agency & EDESUR

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Someone once asked for pictures, here's the link to the system and production stats....:laugh:

https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/public_systems/HDAt149204

Went into full production on March 13, 2013 when EDESUR installed the Bi-directional meter.

The dual axis function goes active as soon as I can install the components....hopefully by monthes end!!!

My compliments to the CNE (Comision Nacional de Eneregia) the for the Exoneration of the imported items and subsequent Certification of the equipment for inclusion into the Net metering program and EDESUR for the effortless application process and the damn quick service to install the Bi-directional meter.

Application turned in on March 8, on morning of March 13, meter change over is done and the solar switch was turned on, first day production was 33 Kwh!!!!!

Thank You

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
How much did that installation cost?

Panels & MI's 13k, maybe 20k all in not including my labor.

Fixed position as is now Production is in exceeds needs, with 2 axis active should increase production 40%, which EDESUR pays back annually minus distribution cost which is 25%.

I expect payback in about 65 months!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004

Fixed position as is now Production is in exceeds needs, with 2 axis active should increase production 40%, which EDESUR pays back annually minus distribution cost which is 25%.

Were you able to secure financing, or was this out of pocket?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Someone once asked for pictures, here's the link to the system and production stats....:laugh:

Went into full production on March 13, 2013 when EDESUR installed the Bi-directional meter.

The dual axis function goes active as soon as I can install the components....hopefully by monthes end!!!

My compliments to the CNE (Comision Nacional de Eneregia) the for the Exoneration of the imported items and subsequent Certification of the equipment for inclusion into the Net metering program and EDESUR for the effortless application process and the damn quick service to install the Bi-directional meter.

Application turned in on March 8, on morning of March 13, meter change over is done and the solar switch was turned on, first day production was 33 Kwh!!!!!

Thank You
Awesome. I saw your graph on the Enphase site, and it looks like you have a lot of up and down spikes. Where there rain showers today, or some thick, passing clouds. Anxious to see what they do on a full sunny day.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Today, yes some clouds, some rain, here and there, looks like we may make 30 Kwh today, anything over 23 is putting it in the bank, our average usage is 23 Kwh, being semi-conservative, but now I think I will be ok opting for the A.C. instead of the fan!!!!

I think in fixed position a good day, sunny blue sky all day we may hit 45 Kwh, best so far was the 14th and we had a few clouds passing though.

When we get rotating with the tracker, I hope for 65 Kwh days plus............I will start one rotating this week, I have done all this from scratch.........so the as rotation works in my head I hope is going to work all right in real life.

Let the sun shine!

May 29, 2006
Some good DIY instructionals on YouTube for tracking systems. Some use paired photo-resistors and the motors adjust them until they are balanced. I think some use portable drill motors. One in reverse, one in forward for each axis. The North/South you can prob do manually since it only changes by a degree a day or so at most. Only about 5? total movement back and forth from Nov-Feb.

One of my friends was asking me about the math to calibrate his system and I said to just drill a hole into the frame and stick a dowel or pencil into it. When there's no shadow, you're calibrated.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Horizon tracking is driven with a 24 VDC 1,200:1 gear motor with rotation reduced further reduced another 56:1 making the final drive rotation 1 Revolution in about 75 minutes. The horizon rotation arc is about 110 degrees, although 180 degrees is ideal, but because No.1, I am in a valley I an not catch the early morning sun nor the late afternoon sun anyway, and further clearance from the roof would have mean more height and I am already pretty high, column height is 18'

Solstice arc Tracking with a SE-T Lineal Actuator with travel of 36" and a fully loaded speed of .072" per second. Ideal Solstice arc would be, summer -7.28? and winter being 40.5?, again for the reason mentioned above I had a trade off with a total range of about 39 degrees, I am set at summer -7.28? and winter being 31?. By the way the 2 furthest points in the arc are 21 June to 21 December.

Let the sunshine!

May 29, 2006
Yeah, but for the vertical, you'd only have to adjust at most maybe a half degree a day to have it spot on, if that, and for only a few weeks out of the year. Is it really worth it to motorize it? I'd prob want to be checking on it twice a week anyways. Isn't there a max the panels can produce regardless of sunlight? Would it being 5 degrees off really make a difference? I can see 20 degrees, but not 5. Maybe there's something missing that I don't know about the geometry...

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Actually it is .219 degrees per day, if one was inclined to manually make the adjustment every 2 weeks that would be fine, I do not have that inclination. For US$200.00 for the LA, I do nothing but reap the benefit.

Remember we want to be as efficient as possible, insolation degradation due to misalignment is not efficient and like I mentioned, full payback or recuperation of investment is expected to be 65 months, every 1% of inefficiency will cost 20 additional days or the equivalent of US$205.12, so LA or manual adjustment?

Besides there's nothing wrong with fixed installations, or alternately single axis are fine too, it just depends on ones location and goal. Mine is to suck up as much photons as possible within my own limitation.

I dreamed, designed, fabricated & installed what I wanted for my families benefit, which has our electricity needs covered for more than the rest of my life, as well over the first 20 years I will see the investment returned 2 - 3 times and like gold, does anybody believe electricity is going to get any less expensive???

If anybody wants to gain insight from my work to do anything similar then they are welcome to do so.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

Thank You

Have you installed batteries as a backup, and have you been successful "tricking" the micros to still operate with power from the batteries during an outage?

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
"Have you installed batteries as a backup, and have you been successful "tricking" the micros to still operate with power from the batteries during an outage?"

Have System tied to my previously existing Xantrex SW5548's w/16 T105's on the house side.

Plan on working on the "Mini Grid" Aspect as soon as I have a chance, meanwhile we are on a 24 hour circuit now for about a year, although yes there are still outages, not nearly as much as previously, so I am not pressured to make the Mini Grid happen too much.

The fact that I can not sell back to EDESUR during a "no luz" event, the only real advantage to a Mini-grid is for long to power outage, such as following a storm or other natural disaster which may adversely affect the grid. anyway, will work on that aspect as soon as possible.

My next priority is finishing the tracking system to increase my daily production.

Let the sunshine!!!

grsher

Jan 16, 2008

Nice system. How much does Edesur pay per KW?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
You designed and built the mounting poles, which are capable of moving to track the sun, yourself? I'd be very interested in any of the details of that that you'd care to share.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
yep 100% and all the details you want and what after doing it what I would change/improve....most parts I have even drawn up assembly and detail plans, I did this to minimize mistakes in fit ups, so the plans I do have are not professional but they got the job done.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Update

21 days installed and have now covered full electrical consumption of the house for the month and just exceed and produced the 1st Megawatt hour!!!!

Production average so far 34.56 Kwh per day..............