Dominincan with DR passport and US Green Card.

ardepena

Mar 18, 2013
My wife and I are going to visit for our 1 year anniversary. I havent been back since I moved 9 years ago.

I have a DR passport and an US Green Card.

Do I need anything else to enter the DR?
Do I need anything else to come back in the US?

Thanks in advance...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A DR passport is all you need to enter the DR. I assume the Green Card will get you back in the US for sure.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
How long are you staying?
If you are going to stay more then 6 months, you need to get a reentry permit. Since my wife don't have her citizenship yet, she had to get reentry permit and it's good for 2 year. She can stay away for up to 2 years and enter and go out as she wishes without worrying about going back to State.

ardepena

Mar 18, 2013
I m just trying to cover all bases, I left when I was 15, now i m 23 and I dont know if anything has changed. I bet it hasnt. Also, isnt the speed limit in kph? How long do you think it would take to drive from santiago to cabarete or rio san juan? driving in a rental car???

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Speed limit? If you can manage to get a speeding ticket driving from Santiago to Cabarete you will make the Guinness Book of Records as the first to do so.

Should take about 2 hrs 15 minutes to Cabarete. Another 50 minutes to R.S.Juan.

ardepena

Mar 18, 2013
haha, I do remember ppl driving like crazy and no cops around. That is good to know. I just saw a post that said renting a car is a bad idea, do you have any thoughts on that? Thanks SKY!!!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
haha, I do remember ppl driving like crazy and no cops around. That is good to know. I just saw a post that said renting a car is a bad idea, do you have any thoughts on that? Thanks SKY!!!

If you are coming from NY you will feel right at home driving here.

ardepena

Mar 18, 2013
I actually live in Houston TX. Not as bad as NY but its pretty crazy, I m not worried about the crazy ppl at all...
So renting a car bad.... bad idea?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There are several, "Depends On" to consider.
Where, for how long, how far are you wanting/needing, to travel.can you get where you want to go by busses, taxis, friends,
do you speak Dominican Spanish, have you seen today's posts about how the DR ranks 121st., out of 122 countries in traffic deaths per 100,000 people?
Is MONEY a consideration?
I have read dozens of "Unhappy Stories" from people who rent cars here.
And "Last, But Not Least", the rental agent is out to "Screw You" when you drop off the car!
You might have a flight to catch, they know it, and they will hold you up for phoney charges until you pay up!
You "Pay Up", just to make your flight!
Did that help???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ardepena

Mar 18, 2013
I do speak Dominican spanish, i left the country when I was 15. THere are several places that I want to visit, mainly to show my wife where I grow up and all of that. From Santiago to cabarete so we can celebrate 1 anniversary. Cabarete to rio san juan, there s a children's home there in bobita where I meat my american parents. Then I have to travel to Puerto plata to visit some of my real family as well as Santiago to visit the rest of the family. I know pagando pasaje would work but its at their own time, and my wife is not comfortable riding motoconcho to go up to bobita...

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
One word of caution - depending on how long you plan to stay in the DR - on a green card you can leave the US for one year only. If you stay out of the country longer the nice people at ICE will promptly deport you once you go back to the US.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Can you "Borrow" a car from a family member?
They might need a few thousand pesos in "rental" money.
There are also some DR1 members who provide "Taxi" service, for a fee!
CC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I do speak Dominican spanish, i left the country when I was 15. THere are several places that I want to visit, mainly to show my wife where I grow up and all of that. From Santiago to cabarete so we can celebrate 1 anniversary. Cabarete to rio san juan, there s a children's home there in bobita where I meat my american parents. Then I have to travel to Puerto plata to visit some of my real family as well as Santiago to visit the rest of the family. I know pagando pasaje would work but its at their own time, and my wife is not comfortable riding motoconcho to go up to bobita...
Maybe someone here can recommend a driver for a week you and decide? I wouldn't drive here unless you are looking foward to be tensed throughout your vacation.

On a side note...
I almost hit row of people crossing Duarte this morning....

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
... have you seen today's posts about how the DR ranks 121st., out of 122 countries in traffic deaths per 100,000 people?

DR second in the world in traffic deaths

The Dominican Republic is the country with the second highest rate of traffic accident fatalities per capita, of the 182 United Nations member states.

"R"