Public Hospital for Sosua. When, if ever?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]The inhabitants of the town of Sos?a, with a population of more than sixty thousand inhabitants, continue their struggle for the promised construction of a public hospital (hospital p?blico). This writes F?lix Corona, press officer of the municipality of Sos?a. He continues: In Sos?a live more than 50 different nationalities and there are thousands of tourists present in the village. It is incomprehensible that there is no public hospital. In case of an emergency (traffic accidents, heart attack, etc.) victims have to be brought to the private clinic (CMC) or to Puerto Plata.[/h]

[h=5]An ambulance needs more than 45 minutes to make it to Puerto Plata, in many cases this takes too long. Saturday 28 April 2012 the former President Leonel Fern?ndez, in the company of the former Health Minister Bautista Rojas G?mez and many notables brought a visit to Sos?a. In the presence of thousands of residents, with a pickaxe the former President hit the ground at where the new hospital was supposed to be constructed. This piece of land is located near to the La Uni?n neighborhood, part of Sos?a. Leonel Fern?ndez said that for the construction of the hospital with 81 beds, and a first aid station $ 27 million was available. Then on May 20, 2012 it was election day for a new president. And the promised hospital? In the field where the hospital was supposed to be constructed remained only a few weeds and a board. The board and the heap of gravel have recently been stolen.
A public hospital for Sos?a?
It remains an empty election promise![/h]

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I heard it will be started again 2 months before the next election in three years or so.

Bob K

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
What about converting one of the defunct AIs/hotels? There are unfinished projects too.

Maybe possible. I've worked on hospitals and you would not believe the amount of crap that goes inside the walls.
oxygen, special electrical and on and on. Probably easier to build new.

May 29, 2006
Some of the false starts could be easy tear-downs. I think ideally, you'd want something between Sosua and Cabarete on the highway.

Sosua should do something about all of the abandoned lots anyway. If you can't sell something and it sits idle for five years, it gets sold to the town at below market price. How does the property tax work there anyways?

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I have noticed activity at the proposed site for the new hospital in La Union this week. Several heavy Bulldozers seems to be flattening the land and numerous deliveries of hardcore (brick, rock, cement etc) have arrived.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have noticed activity at the proposed site for the new hospital in La Union this week. Several heavy Bulldozers seems to be flattening the land and numerous deliveries of hardcore (brick, rock, cement etc) have arrived.

That's interesting. If it actually gets built, a lot of people will be surprised. Including me.

Please keep us informed.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From Today's Sosua News

[h=5]Last Thursday morning residents of Sos?a saw, to their great delight, trucks loaded with sand headed for the place where the promised hospital is supposed to be constructed. There are rumors that president Danilo Medina will fulfill his promise and that he has ordered to start the construction of the public hospital near the neighborhood of La Uni?n. It was Saturday April 28, 2012 that former president Leonel Fern?ndez visited Sos?a. In the presence of thousands of residents, with a pickaxe the former President hit the ground at where the new hospital was supposed to be constructed. Leonel Fern?ndez said that for the construction of the hospital with 81 beds, and a first aid station $ 27 million was available. Then on May 20, 2012 it was election day for a new president. And the promised hospital?[/h]
[h=5]In the field where the hospital was supposed to be constructed remained only a few weeds and a board. But now it seems that the newly elected President Danilo Medina will keep his promises. So there is new hope that the hospital will be constructed. The sand for leveling the construction ground are already there.[/h]

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A year in the DR is like a day elsewhere. Hope to see the hospital in another DR year.