Dominican Republic information

Bud Z

Mar 20, 2013
Hi My name is Bud, I'm 71 years old,I'm new to the forum. I am from northern Wisconsin. I joined the forum to learn more about the DR. My wife & I & daughter & son-inlaw just returned from seven day all inclusive vacation on 3/11/2013 staying at the Barcel? Bavaro Palace Deluxe. We thought it was the most beautiful place. I have been on the forum & found it very helpful. We were hopping for more information, so we might be able to come back again for 2 or four weeks by renting & making arrangements ourselves, since the resorts are so expensive. Dreaming of coming back. Thanks Bud

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well Bud, you have probably come to the right place. Most people on the island have never seen Punta Cana, and some of us call it the IRE - the Independent Republic of the East- since it is so NOT the real Dominican Republic. It is beautiful, that is for sure.

But get this: There are even many much more beautiful places to see. Yup.

The country is not as big as Wisconsin, but it has high mountains, and misty forests, rain forests, semi-deserts and, of course, beaches to die for. There are also water falls to play in, both hidden away and very popular, depending on just where you go. There are mangoes, pineapples, bananas, strawberries, limes, passion fruit and many other fruits to be had at roadside stands. Not many pleasures can beat a "pig out on good mangoes" followed by a cleanup with a sopping wet towel!!

And there is the rum, but if you are like me (somewhat younger) a drink or two will do you fine, it is not foremost in your thoughts. And the beers--Yeah, I know Wisconsin knows a thing or two about beer--but these are very good, too. And the coffee!! Ah, that is wonderful and a great way to start any day, especially if prepared in the countryside with a little teeny tiny bit of fresh nutmeg...and chocolate....there is even a Chocolate Path with guided tours across a working cacao farm. And women's co-ops that make chocolate...

And cigars? This place is one of the great places for all kinds of cigars....really!

So, next time, plan on flying into Santiago or Santo Domingo and starting from there. People on these pages will suggest all kinds of side trips. And they will all be good.

Sit back and wait for the suggestions!! And get ready for some good times, and welcome to DR1.

HB

Bud Z

Mar 20, 2013
Thanks for your reply, we are working on plans to return for another vacation. We had a wonderful time, but it was to short. the next time will be longer. Bud