Seeking English Teaching Position

oceanslily

Nov 11, 2011
I am seeking an English teaching position in the Dominican Republic. While I would prefer to teach English as a foreign language, I am also interested in working in a bilingual or English speaking school at the elementary level. I would like to start around August and will be in the country from April 3 -- May 10 (could meet/interview).

Qualifications:

M.Ed. in English Language Learner Education
B.A. Psychology
120-hour TEFL Certificate
Teaching experience (currently work as an online instructor for a TEFL certification company, spent a semester student-teaching at a college, one-on-one ESL tutoring)
Experience with children
Elementary Spanish (please note: I will be taking intensive Spanish courses)

If you have any leads or are interested in seeing a detailed CV, please email:

when will people learn,.....no emails on DR1

Last edited by a moderator:

oceanslily

Nov 11, 2011
[B said:
when will people learn,.....no emails on DR1[/B]

I apologize for positing my email address. I only did that based on the information provided in "Guidelines to using this forum," which states:

Important is to say how prospective employers should contact you. Again, an e-mail address is perhaps better than posting telephone numbers.

Perhaps that should be updated.

You can reach me by PM.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I apologize for positing my email address. I only did that based on the information provided in "Guidelines to using this forum," which states:

Important is to say how prospective employers should contact you. Again, an e-mail address is perhaps better than posting telephone numbers.

Perhaps that should be updated.

You can reach me by PM.

Perhaps you should not talk back to a SUPERMOD and take constructive criticism.
You do realize you will need a few hundred grand in the bank to eat and pay rent on a Dominican salary?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps you should not talk back to a SUPERMOD and take constructive criticism.
You do realize you will need a few hundred grand in the bank to eat and pay rent on a Dominican salary?

Perhaps you could be more helpful.SupMod get real. Yes the salaries will be lower than North America or Europe. To the OP. Look up the post Private schools using the search button. After you finish reading that look in the DR1 info. There is a list of schools with addresses. Most have websites and usually are looking for teachers for the next year. I suggest you look at St Georges in the capital, Carol Morgan...etc. There is also several on the north coast and in Santiago that pay a living wage.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why Not Just "BAN" Her????
"Ocean" English teachers at the #1 private schools here get a good salary, enough to live on.
Hope you find a "Fit" for yourself!
You seem to have great qualifications.
Best Of Luck in your job search!
You can send me an "E-Mail" if you want, just "click" on my "Name", then "click" on E-mail!
I LOVE e-mails, SOME PEOPLE DON"T, I guess!
Cris Colon
aka., CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

oceanslily

Nov 11, 2011
I was simply stating why I posted my email address. There is incorrect information on the "how to" post, which I tried to follow. I do not construe that as "talking back," for what it's worth. I'm quite aware of my own financial situation.

Bob -- thank you for your helpful advice! I will check with some of the schools you listed. I have been in contact with a few others already (and was very surprised [in a good way] at some of the benefits/salaries). Just want to keep all of my options open. I figured maybe some people on here work in the field, so if anyone had any good leads or if employers search, it wouldn't hurt to check in. I'll be visiting some schools while there in a few weeks. Thanks again!

Cris -- I am a fan of emails as well! Not used to forums though. :) Networking, right?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
OP have you looked at the classifieds here on this forum? I've seen quite a few messages concerning faculty for upcoming classes at a few different schools there. I believe the Carol Morgan school has a good reputation and I would also contact the Dominican American Institute. Sure looks like you have the credentials to teach at a high level school or at least that is my opinion. On the Con side you do realize that the salary will be nothing similar to the US but some schools also provide housing to balance on the Pro side of the argument.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
https://www.iss.edu/education-careers/careers-for-educators

I would recommend signing up with ISS to get a job. Do you have an actual teaching certificate issued from a state? Most of the better private schools try to keep accreditation with various agencies likes SACS or Middle States and one of the criteria is having certified teachers.

We taught in the DR for nine years before moving on and lived very well, raised two young children and still were able to save money each year. Most of those that are talking about poor salary and benefits only have knowledge of the public school system there, not the private schools.

Good luck in your search and try to keep an open mind - there are amazing opportunities in international education all over the world, not just in the DR.

oceanslily

Nov 11, 2011
Thank you two for your great suggestions! I just got in touch with ISS and found another great lead on the message boards. Again, thank you -- I hope others find this information as valuable as I have. :) Exactly what I was looking for!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Oceans - send your resume to the PUCMM. Decent pay, flexible hours and a nice working environment - I'd send it to both campuses (different directors) in Santiago and Santo Domingo.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I'd start by thinking about what area you are interested in living in. I currently live in Punta Cana and was a teacher at an international school here for a year, before moving on to other opportunities. Start considering where you would be happy living, then look into the schools in that area and contact them to see about available positions for the next school year. Good luck!

Idrin7

Apr 20, 2013
Hello LaTeacher. I am also looking for an English teaching position in DR for this coming academic year. In re: to your post do you know where on the pucmm website the directors contact details are as I have been looking around the sites and I cannot find any contact details for directors of either campuses.

Thanks in advance.

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
I think ocealslily's post was quite decent and if she noticed an error on the page the "SUPERMOD" should be appreciative instead of responding in such a child-like manner.

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
oceanslily, Santiago Christian school in Santiago might be interesting.. it's an all-English speaking elementary middle and high school, very good standard (quite expensive thou) and their degrees are accepted in the USA... Good luck i am sure you will find something!

J

jamasterj

I can't PM you for some reason, but I am interested in hearing what happened (since this was a year-ish ago). I have the exact same qualifications as you (weird!) except for the MA. Anyway, if you could msg me that would be excellent! Thank you!