IS THIS TRUE? U HAVE TO APPLY IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE OUT OF DR 4 6 months???

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I am a permanent resident and i just was informed if i am out of the country longer than 26 weeks i need to apply for permission ? does anyone have knowledge on this?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
That FAQ list had some useful information, however not the answer to the original question as far as I could discern. I would like to know where the OP obtained such information. I remember hearing rumors about this months ago and asked my attorney about it, who I believe said that this is a new rule and DOES NOT apply to permanent residents, but rather only temporary residents.

Can anyone verify that?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My understanding is that Permanent Residency remains intact provided you are not absent from RD for more than 6 months.

We had this discussion a while back.
Most countries have a 'minimum stay' residency requirement, RD has the opposite.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
My understanding is that Permanent Residency remains intact provided you are not absent from RD for more than 6 months.

We had this discussion a while back.
Most countries have a 'minimum stay' residency requirement, RD has the opposite.

Thanks for the input. Could you please share your source of information? I've talked to an attorney who claims that is not the case.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Maybe another reason to just plow ahead to get your Dominican citizenship? It's not all that hard although it does take time. I'm unsure of what I would do with a Dominican passport but since I don't have to renounce my US citizenship to become a DR citizen...maybe this is a reason?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe another reason to just plow ahead to get your Dominican citizenship? It's not all that hard although it does take time. I'm unsure of what I would do with a Dominican passport but since I don't have to renounce my US citizenship to become a DR citizen...maybe this is a reason?

With the new more time consuming and costly renewals of DR residency, even if it is not intended by the government, there is more motivation to become a citizen because of those changes.

I did read that permission was required to leave the DR for more than 6 months for those with residency, but trying to find that now using the search function is not easy.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I don't remember Mr. Guzman or any attorney confirming that this supposed new rule applies to permanent residents. It would be nice we had something written by Migracion about this. I'll do some searching around (unfortunately my Spanish is not great).

For those of us who insist that this new rule does apply, what are the consequences for being out of the country for more than 6 months? Loss of residency permit, penalty fees, etc.? I wonder how it would ever get detected if one were to just purchase a tourist card at the airport? Does Migraction check the entry/exit passport stamps when someone is trying to renew residency?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for the input. Could you please share your source of information? I've talked to an attorney who claims that is not the case.

Source was from here = DR1

As others have suggested - citizenship means no more renewals.

Don't take this wrong - but not all lawyers are created equal - especially here..... seek another opinion.

As I recall, this 'maximum absence' rule camew/ thenew regulations.... won't be on the FAQ todavia

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Here's the section of the new law. Nothing about it applying to those who already have permanent residency. To anyone who still disagrees, please share that section of the law. Maybe someone who speaks fluent Spanish could translate this for the rest of us.

Secci?n XIII...

ART?CULO 85.- Los Extranjeros que est?n en proceso de obtenci?n de una residencia
temporal o permanente en la Rep?blica Dominicana, podr?n obtener permiso de reentrada
cuando, estando en el pa?s, deban salir al extranjero por causa determinada, estando a?n su
expediente de solicitud de residencia en proceso para su expedici?n.
P?RRAFO.- Un Extranjero en proceso de expedici?n de residencia temporal o permanente no
podr? ausentarse del territorio nacional por per?odos superiores a seis (6) meses. Pasado este
tiempo, sin causa justificada, si el Extranjero regresare al pa?s, deber? reiniciar el procedimiento
de solicitud de residencia sometiendo toda la documentaci?n requerida al efecto y enunciado en
los art?culos relativos a la residencia.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Altho' I'm not totally familiar w/ the exact facts......

I recall the new helmet law was written in an incorrect manner... such that it was sufficient to simply 'carry'the helmet, not 'wear' it to comply w/ the law

Similarly, F. Guzman is in the process of critiquing the RD constitution to identify certain grammatical errors contained therein.

Remember, its a developing country....... we may be helping it develop:smoke:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Here's the section of the new law. Nothing about it applying to those who already have permanent residency. To anyone who still disagrees, please share that section of the law. Maybe someone who speaks fluent Spanish could translate this for the rest of us.

Secci?n XIII...

ART?CULO 85.- Los Extranjeros que est?n en proceso de obtenci?n de una residencia
temporal o permanente en la Rep?blica Dominicana, podr?n obtener permiso de reentrada
cuando, estando en el pa?s, deban salir al extranjero por causa determinada, estando a?n su
P?RRAFO.- Un Extranjero en proceso de expedici?n de residencia temporal o permanente no
podr? ausentarse del territorio nacional por per?odos superiores a seis (6) meses. Pasado este
tiempo, sin causa justificada, si el Extranjero regresare al pa?s, deber? reiniciar el procedimiento
de solicitud de residencia sometiendo toda la documentaci?n requerida al efecto y enunciado en

As I read it once you have your permanent residency you can spend more than 6 months out of the country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My limited Spanish reads it that way too, Windy........... but they may mean it to mean otherwise....

Great question to seek an answer for those who just 'drop by' for the winter months.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

Secci?n XIII...

Here yo go:

ARTICLE 85.- Foreigners who are in the process of obtaining temporary or permanent residence in the Dominican Republic, could obtain a re-entry permit when, being in the country, have the to travel abroad on determined cause (specific grounds), while their resident application is still in the process of being issued.
PARAGRAPH.- A foreigner in the process of being issued a temporary or permanent residence may not leave the national territory for a period greater than six (6) months. If the foreigner returns to the country, after this period, without justified cause, he must restart the residence application procedure submitting all required documents stated in the articles relating to residence.

NotLurking

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
You would think that the government would encourage peopleto stay in the country longer by making it easier to stay in the country. A longer stay in the country means thatforeigners will pump more money into the local economy. My suspicion is that the government doesn?tcare about the local economy; they want direct payment into their coffersFIRST! I wonder why a government wouldthink like that?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The immigration laws are based upon a policy regarding Haitians. Once you realize that you will understand the reasons why they are getting more difficult.

Back to the OP, the good news appears to be that if you have permanent residency you can spend more than 6 months at a time out of the country.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Back to the OP, the good news appears to be that if you have permanent residency you can spend more than 6 months at a time out of the country.

I would ask anyone who still disagrees with this to speak up. Otherwise I think we can view this matter as resolved.