Playero still no clue

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
After all this time and updates with the shelves loaded with overpriced imports, overpriced local items, and a new coffee shop they still have no clue on customer service.

I went in today for a few items and on the end cap in the front of the store there is a large display of soda with a sign of OFFERETA pepsi at 46+ pesos for a 2L bottle. So I got a few. The same sign was also where the cold sodas are.
At check out I was charged 50.9 pesos. I pointed out the sign (easily visable to the check out register) to the check out person and she called over a manager. She went to the display took the sign down, came over to me and said the offer was not good anymore and the price is 50.9 pesos. I did not even tell her about the other sign in the cold soda isle.

Needless to say I left my order telling them I did not want anything and left my 1000 pesos order with the bag boy. Let them restock and balance the register.....NO CLUE

The will be in deep water when the new la Sirena opens and I have it on good authority that they will start building before the end of the year. Can't come fast enough in my opinion.

Don't even get me going on how 95% of the time they hold back a peso with your change.

BObK

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Bob, I realize there's a principle involved... but I for one am thankful for Playero and the varied selection they offer. In my opinion La Sirena doesn't come close, nor does anything else within an hour's drive. I don't mind the premium in exchange for the convenience. I'd hate to think I had to get by with the limited choices at La Sirena, Janet's, Supermercado Sosua, or the big stores in Santiago. Not to mention at 240 pesos a gallon for gas one has to buy quite a lot to make the extra time and cost worth it.

Let the few pesos here and there slide... it's not worth the stress and you can afford it. It's a beautiful day... grab a pepsi at Coastal and go sit under a palm tree at the beach!

May 29, 2006
This is the kind of thing that makes Dominicans think all ex-pats are crazy. Not that you aren't justified to have some resentment out of being ripped off for :::gasp::: 5 pesos. Not many Dominicans would stock up on soda for the savings. They usually just buy what they need for a day or so. When you impose mainland expectations, you won't be happy. The best advice here is to "choose your battles." If you expect higher standards from a new store, good luck..

I knew a Spanish teacher who went to Cuba. He was buying some trinkets and the guy he bought them from said, "Wow, your Spanish was so good, I only charged you double!"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is not about mainland expectations, it is about a store the rips people off and does not care. Doctor BobK has been here long enough to know and understand the culture. He donates his time performing free medical care for the locals.

I agree with his assessment of Playero. His example is one of many that could be posted about Playero. I go there only on occasion to get some unique things they might offer, but do most of my shopping elsewhere.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
About 6 months ago I purchased 2 large bottles of coke zero (along with other stuff) from Playero. When I got home I realized the bottles had rounded bottoms and could not stand on their own (an inconvenience and more importantly indicating a possible defect with the soda inside).
I immediately bought them back to Playero and they offered to let me exchange them for others. When I went to the shelves ALL the bottles were defective (they were propping each other up).
I showed this to the manager and requested my money back. He told me I was out of luck because 'the problem was with the manufacture and not with Playero'
I left ..leaving my soda there ....I still enjoy shopping there....but used the experience to stop drinking soda!!

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Needless to say I left my order telling them I did not want anything and left my 1000 pesos order with the bag boy. Let them restock and balance the register.....NO CLUE

I have seen this happen a couple of times at Playero, the last time, they would not accept a 100 peso note from a guy because it had a tear in it so he just tor it up into little pieces, threw it onto the floor, and walked out leaving all his shopping and the bag boys trying to find all the pieces!

I have no problem with them charging 40/50/60 pesos or whatever for a bottle of pepsi, no one is forcing me to buy it there but I agree and find it irksome when a shop advertise one price for an item, then they try to charge you more at the checkout...... it never seems to be less at the checkout!!!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

I have seen this happen a couple of times at Playero, the last time, they would not accept a 100 peso note from a guy because it had a tear in it so he just tor it up into little pieces, threw it onto the floor, and walked out leaving all his shopping and the bag boys trying to find all the pieces!

I have no problem with them charging 40/50/60 pesos or whatever for a bottle of pepsi, no one is forcing me to buy it there but I agree and find it irksome when a shop advertise one price for an item, then they try to charge you more at the checkout...... it never seems to be less at the checkout!!!!!

Torn money is not accepted anywhere, or is not supposed to be. It should be taken to the bank to see if they will replace it. If I am given a torn bill somewhere, I refuse to accept it.

I am glad to hear the cashier saw the tear and refused to accept it. Otherwise the problem might have been passed on to me or some other customer.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've linked this thread in a message to the owners of Playero. Since they can't observe every transaction, they appreciate being informed when there are reports on dr1 by customers who have had a bad experience.

It is unfortunate, but maybe human nature, to blame the entire organization when an employee makes an error, regardless of the efforts of management to make their business as error free as possible.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Torn money is not accepted anywhere, or is not supposed to be. It should be taken to the bank to see if they will replace it. If I am given a torn bill somewhere, I refuse to accept it.

I am glad to hear the cashier saw the tear and refused to accept it. Otherwise the problem might have been passed on to me or some other customer.

The guy was adamant he received the note from them the day before! I have no idea if he was telling the truth or not!

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Lol on a similar note in the colonial zone ahuge sign that advetises 25 us a nite at their hotel , is never 25 us anymore they say its high season yet leave the sign up and sometimes are unable to give change at night since the owners dont give the lad or girl much money So if you leave early u either go get exact chg or consider it a gratuity. i recently got rundown by a motoconcho who turned and drove right into me ! Cost ? 7 weeks indoors recouperating from a thigh and knee injury ,and Not Even a oh are you okay? From the driver ...... perspective I counted my blessings i can walk now and no permanent damage This took place right out Janets supermarcado in cabarete . I would have gladly paid more to be in playero that day! Word of caution i was fortunate i heard a gringo was killed there in dec by a pickup... With aschool across the street i have often wondered how an incident has not been involving a young child there !..,yes Playero is Mexican owned customer service i think is not their high suit .Bob has been here a long spell ...and maybe another day that may not of bothered him ... He is a good man Be careful Semanta Santa is on the horizon

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The guy was adamant he received the note from them the day before! I have no idea if he was telling the truth or not!

Could be a cashier accepted a torn bill. Who knows. But the guy, if he was given a torn bill in his change, should not have accepted it. I doubt his change included so many bills that he wouldn't notice if one was torn.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As a result of discussion re Playero in a previous thread, the owners put up a suggestion/request box so that customers could make suggestions, request products, report problems.

BobK, I am sorry you didn't put a brief not about your experience in the box. The owners will be reading your message because I sent them the link to this thread, but it would have been better if you had made use of the opportunity they provided to communicate directly with them via the box.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
As a result of discussion re Playero in a previous thread, the owners put up a suggestion/request box so that customers could make suggestions, request products, report problems.

BobK, I am sorry you didn't put a brief not about your experience in the box. The owners will be reading your message because I sent them the link to this thread, but it would have been better if you had made use of the opportunity they provided to communicate directly with them via the box.

But, had it been done that way, there would have been no way for him to grandstand about the evils of Playero and the still claimed to be forth coming new La Sirena. BTW, didn't we hear the same claims regarding the "good authority" and "start building before the end of the year" a year or so ago from the same source?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
About 6 months ago I purchased 2 large bottles of coke zero (along with other stuff) from Playero. When I got home I realized the bottles had rounded bottoms and could not stand on their own (an inconvenience and more importantly indicating a possible defect with the soda inside).
I immediately bought them back to Playero and they offered to let me exchange them for others. When I went to the shelves ALL the bottles were defective (they were propping each other up).
I showed this to the manager and requested my money back. He told me I was out of luck because 'the problem was with the manufacture and not with Playero'
I left ..leaving my soda there ....I still enjoy shopping there....but used the experience to stop drinking soda!!

well, if the problem is with the manufacturer, it is incumbent upon him to take the matter up with them. he is the intermediary. you did business with him. you have no contact to the manufacturer. typical Dominican customer service.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Any soda is bad news.

except with some Barcelo.

The complaints about the Playero seem trivial compared to some of the intractable obstacles that you expats/business owners face on a weekly basis.

Maybe it is better to complain about the trivial since that might be the only thing you can actually change.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

and you do not see where he should make it public so that some unsuspecting people do not fall prey to Playero's dishonorable practices?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
and you do not see where he should make it public so that some unsuspecting people do not fall prey to Playero's dishonorable practices?

Now we are going from bad to worse. You know zilch about the circumstances. You don't know who put up the display, whether it was Playero or the Pepsi salesman, you don't know if the computer programers for Playero had been notified that the display, with the sign, was up, you don't know if product sales people are supposed to put us sale signs until the Playero people have given the ok, you are just shooting off your mouth and making accusations without knowing zilch abut the circumstances. Is this the way that you conduct all your activities in life?

Regarding posting a perceived problem on DR1, I have no objection to that. All I am saying is that besides posting a rant on DR! they should try to also inform store management.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

I have confirmed that banks to not accept bills that are torn, written on, or have even a small piece, like a corner, missing. For this reason, employees in all businesses are instructed not to accept money damaged in any of these ways.

Sure the guy said he got the bill from Playero the previous day, I might try the same. But how does he know? If he knowingly accepted a torn bill, then he has nobody to blame but himself. If he didn't see the tear when he accepted the bill, how does he know he got it from there?

If he is a DR1 poster, we'll probably get a rant-starting thread on that, too.