Punta Cana to Santo Domingo in 6 days

Timaaeee

Mar 24, 2013
I will be travelling to DR with my girlfriend at the start of may - we fly into PC where we have a few nights booked in a resort checking out on the friday morning (may 3rd) and then plan on seeing some more of the country before our flight to cuba from SD the following thurs afternoon and I was hoping for a few suggestions of what to do with this time?

We are both well travelled and have been backpacking around South/Central America and Asia although this is intended to be more of a relaxing break so I would prefer not to be travelling for more than say 6 hours in one go?

I had read nice things about Samana/Las Terranas area so I was thinking that we could head directly there for 4 nights and then come back to SD for the last 2 nights, or head straight to SD first as it may be enroute anyway? or go somewhere different?

1. Can we get a coach/minibus from Samana area direct to SD airport or if not is it an easy change in SD?
2. Would it be realistic to try do this leaving Samana area in the morning in time for a 1.30pm flight or should we stay in in SD the night before?
3. Is SD worth visiting and if so is it worth trying to go on the weekend for better nightlife?
4. How long from PC to Samana by minibus/coach/taxi/plane and what option would people recommend?
5. Anywhere alternative suggestions for what to do with these 6 days?

thanks
Tim

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If I were you I would definitely go to Las Terrenas. Some of the nicest scenery in the DR. You have a number of ways to do this. You will take a bus from PC to Santo Domingo. From Santo Domingo take Transporte Las Terrenas. It will take you directly into the tourist area of LT. It is about a 3hr ride and the cost is about $9us per person. Very reasonable. This bus depot is at 129 Calle Baraona, behind Plaza Lama. So, depending on what bus and where is arrives in SD you may have to take a taxi to this bus depot. There is an express bus that leaves at 1:40PM and also a regular bus that leaves at 3PM. Call Transporte Las Terrenas at 809-481-2494 or 829-986-1887. So you can get on the bus in SD and be in LT before dark. On the return there is an express at 7AM or reg service at 9AM and 11AM from LT. I would go to LT first and then a couple of days or one day before take the return bus back to SD and stay in the Colonial Zone. Suggest Hotel Conde de La Penalba. This is an older colonial style hotel with a large outdoor cafe directly across the plaza from the oldest church in the new world. The cost of this hotel is about $65-75usd per night. Get a room with balcony. From here you can take a taxi to the airport as needed.

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
My advise : I do assume you are coming from a 1st world country, right? If that is the case, you shall act like a 1st world citizen and as such avoid being a cheapskate. Rent a midsize car, buy your DR gps map and there you go. You can also purchase an updated travel book and avoid the advise from people who do not match your standard of living.

Timaaeee

Mar 24, 2013
LTSteve thanks for the advice! do you know how long the bus takes from PC - would it be practical to try and do these two bus journeys in one day?

palmiche53 yes we are coming from the UK - I am happy to rent a car if but I would need to be able to pick one up in PC and leave it in DR and I was not sure how easy this would be to sort out. Also I did have some strong concerns about navigating and whether tomtom etc would be any use in DR, if we can get a decent quality bus then I'd be happy with that as I wouldn't have the stress of driving - or do you think it would be more stressful trying to get the bus?

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would guestimate that it would take a 3+ hours from PC to Santo Domingo by bus. If you catch an early bus you certainly could do the trip to Las Terrenas in one day. It is not difficult driving in the DR but it would be much more expensive with a car and the cost of gas and tolls. Stick to the bus then you can sit back and relax.

LTSteve