Glad to be here.

Glipt

Mar 25, 2013
Hello all. Been here for 3 years and done some lurking on the site here. Decided it was time to join. Been living in the southwest and we have become permanent residents. Cashed out all our belongings in fantasyland (aka North America) and arrived 5 days after the earthquake in Port au Prince. Spent 2 summers in fantasyland working to support ourselves here the rest of the year and now in the midst of transitioning to online work to keep us here even more of the year. Despite the challenges, of which there have been many, we are enjoying it very much. Very empowering to leave everything we were used to behind and start a new life. Biggest concerns for us right now:

1: Renewing our permanent residency. Have appreciated the experiences shared here as I understand the process has changed drastically. We have to face this in September of this year and have an immigration lawyer helping is.

2: Banking starting to be a concern. I have a 'Popular' account I use to send money to from North America which I then send to a local bank for a higher interest rate. Recently I noticed my name was spelled wrong on the 'Popular' account information. Spoke to the bank and they informed me that I shouldn't even have this account as it was opened with my cedula 'extrajero' and would now be subject to a whole slew of 'new' requirements should I which to correct the spelling of my name. They said I need:

1: Passport.
2: Letter from a bank in NA stating my assets.
3: Letter from my employer stating my solvency.
4: Letter from a local business (as in the grocery store) stating my good conduct.

Anybody else come across this yet? Would love to hear any experiences or advice.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Did you talk to the branch manager at the bank or a clerk. Many times they will not waiver from what they perceive as rigid policy. Go over someones head to get that changed.

LTSteve

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
On the banking issue: why don't you open an account in another bank to receive the funds you send yourself? I opened an account at Scotiabank once with only a passport. Our popular account + credit card are on my wife's name for exactly the same reason: too many requirements.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Banco Popular

Welcome to DR1

I to had the same problem with Banco Popular. I wanted to have a direct deposit to D.R. and the embassy told me i could only use Banco popular. I thought this strange but remembering when i went to sign up for social security they had a person in front of citizen services with Banco popular forms all filled out [all but account number and signature ] As i already had an account with another bank i wished to use that to save the inscription charges. Well what a problem they said Banco popular or continue using my bank in the U.S. No OPTIONS! This ****ed me off to say the least. I have had bank accounts in many countries as i worked as an expat. In no other country was i told what bank i must use. So i resolved this first problem by a clever tactic. [ undisclosed] Then i had another pension to have sent here. [this was some years later] Back to the same crap. Thinking that i now had my s.s. going to my bank of choice i returned to Embassy for this one to be signed up. No chance Banko popular or no way. So thinking i had no recourse off to Banko popular For my new account. Not wanting to go into lots of work this time i gave in. Well Banco Popular first told me i must have a current cedula Ok got new cedula and went back. They then said i needed the following in order to have an account.

1. Deed to house or apartment or rental contract. whare i live.
2. Two letters from company i used.
3. letter from some one who would be my hope of solvency and pay if i could not.
4. Two letters from people who say i am not a theif just a good old boy.
5 . Contract from CAASD Water.
6. Contract for electric.
7.letter from Bank in U.S. stating i have lots of funds there.
8.Letter from police that i'm not a drug dealer.
Couple other things cant remember now. Oh yes phone contract.

So that was it back to going around the problem. My old way like with S.S.

This was time wasted but finely did it as before.
So now am probably the only Yank without an account with Banco Popular.
I am proud of this as i proved [to myself at least] i can not be forced to deposit my funds against my will in a Bank That i now dislike.
End of story hope this helps others.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Banco Santa Cruz has been very easy for me to deal with. Not sure if you have a branch near you.

Glipt

Mar 25, 2013
Thanks. Only other option I have seen is Reservas. Anyone have xperience with them?

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Glipt:
They make mistakes too. You have to keep your eyes open here forever.
Banco de Reservas is a solid bank and it's not bad.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's, "All GREEK To ME!""""
Do you know the "Motto" of the Greek Army????????
"NEVER Leave Your Buddies "BEHIND"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"O Pah!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
How Stupid do I look if it's Not GREEK??????????????????????????????
Not to worry, I can insult any Nationality!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Actually its Russian :)

By no means I wanted to let you look stupid now, of course...:bunny:

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
Many kinds of people in this world.
He who know and knows he knows,
He who knows not and knows he knows not (can be taught).
He who knows not and knows not he knows not (Dominican Republic. It only p888y town)