Another Semana Santa In Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Maundy Thursday and Good Friday (March 28 and 29) prior to the Easter weekend, will be commemorated with the most respect in Sos?a. For example, Friday afternoon, Good Friday, Pastor Bernardo V?squez of the parish in Charamicos, will lead a large group of believers, with a large wooden cross along the beach of Sos?a. It will be a quiet and devout lot because there may be no music played nor danced. But the following Saturday and Sunday will be party time. From all parts of the country, Santo Domingo, Montellano, Puerto Plata, Santiago and La Vega, visitors will come to our beach resort to celebrate. All hotels will be overloaded. Especially at the beach it will busy and festive.
The traffic police (AMET) will, as announced the commander Juan Polanco Mart?nez, patrol with 40 officers extra. This to prevent calamities. On the beach will be much to see and to do. Besides fish, chicken and other sales, there are many performances by musical groups.[/h]
[h=5]Semana Santa[/h] [h=5]In addition, various sports competitions will be organized with great prizes to be won. Also there is a miss bikini pageant. The festivities are sponsored by the Brugal rum manufacturer and the water producer Sasino located in Sos?a. By the end of the (Sunday) afternoon the beach will be deserted. Most visitors go home again. With the end of the Semana Santa celebrations also the low season for Sos?a arrives. The coming months it will be much quieter in the beach resort.[/h]

[h=5]Semana Santa[/h]

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
The trash they leave behind is a big problem with this kind of festivities in Puerto Rico. Is it any better in Sosua?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gitana - if anything it is even worse. not only sosua, all over the country. trash producing trash...
i live just by the ocean and during semana santa i do not even go anywhere near it. i don't drive either so i do not contribute to our yearly semana santa death pool ;)