Is anyone happy here?

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
There seems to be a lot of negativity around here these days. I am still happy here in the DR and I wonder if I'm alone. I don't pretend everything is perfect all the time but for me the good still outweighs the bad otherwise I wouldn't still be here. Complaining about isolated things that are bad is one thing but for those who truly believe there is nothing good left here or that the bad outweighs the good why wouldn't you just leave instead of being so miserable all the time?

Dec 26, 2011
Criticism reveals a very special kind of love. Know the wife that bitches about her husband but you don't dare say anything bad about him to her? The husband that says his wife's crazy and stupid but he'd be lost without her? It's like that. The intense desire to sugarcoat the realities of a very chaotic place like the RD is suspect. It smacks of insecurity, someone overreaching to convince themselves that they've made the right decisions. Doubt and discontent and introspection are healthy.

May 12, 2005
I think people just like to complain. Sure it would be nice to read more positive posts but DR1 seems to be a place for folks to vent.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Criticism reveals a very special kind of love. Know the wife that bitches about her husband but you don't dare say anything bad about him to her? The husband that says his wife's crazy and stupid but he'd be lost without her? It's like that. The intense desire to sugarcoat the realities of a very chaotic place like the RD is suspect. It smacks of insecurity, someone overreaching to convince themselves that they've made the right decisions. Doubt and discontent and introspection are healthy.

that is worthy of Doctorial dissertation. i am always suspicious of the usual suspects here, who will get into a bloody, drawn out war with anyone who dares say that Dominicans are noisy, or throw garbage on the street. why do they have to do that? are they afraid of the truth, or are they apologizing to the Dominicans for having noticed their foibles?

Dec 26, 2011
that is worthy of Doctorial dissertation. i am always suspicious of the usual suspects here, who will get into a bloody, drawn out war with anyone who dares say that Dominicans are noisy, or throw garbage on the street. why do they have to do that? are they afraid of the truth, or are they apologizing to the Dominicans for having noticed their foibles?

When you love a person, place or thing you want to see it succeed. You want to see it happy. You want it to be as good as it can possibly be. With no selfish motive. Simply because you love it.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Some people are going to revel in their misery regardless of where they are.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When you love a person, place or thing you want to see it succeed. You want to see it happy. You want it to be as good as it can possibly be. With no selfish motive. Simply because you love it.

having read your posting, it just hit me. maybe they are subliminally telling the rest of us who complain to leave Dominicans alone, because they are all that they can be, or will ever be. so do not scold them about antisocial and self destructive tendencies, because that is what destiny planned for them, and they are happy in their current state of being. leave them alone in their indiscretions, and you go live your way that civilization requires, but they cannot attain those heights.

Dec 26, 2011
having read your posting, it just hit me. maybe they are subliminally telling the rest of us who complain to leave Dominicans alone, because they are all that they can be, or will ever be. so do not scold them about antisocial and self destructive tendencies, because that is what destiny planned for them, and they are happy in their current state of being. leave them alone in their indiscretions, and you go live your way that civilization requires, but they cannot attain those heights.

Exactly. It's as if they're patting the whole country on its head saying, "There, there, dumb savages. You're capable of no more. Adorable fools." It's enabling at its worst. You dignify someone when you ask, "What the fukc are you doing? You've gotta be kidding me."

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZkiSYmn74os" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>....................... lol

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
why wouldn't you just leave instead of being so miserable all the time?

Amen... Very happy. I have sunshine most days. Green mountains, water and yes.. Eden Norte, Motos, crazy price changes etc... OR I can deal with the unhappy, unprofessional, disgruntled WalMart, Walgreens, A and P, etc employee on my block every day. I can pay $25 to see the doctor here or I can pay a $250 co pay to the doctor and pay $20 for a hospital aspirin. What a choice? Love it here. I keep life very simple. Respect my neighbors. No fancy life. Enjoy the differences and go with the flow. Life changes and this place is a welcome change from cold temps, jaded i-pad, run around crazy life in the states.
I welcome the day when I am here 365 days a year.

I read the usual blah, blah blah about how horrible it is. Then I simply blot it out, go sit in the garden with a cold bottle of water and enjoy the sunshine, listen to the little kids play in the street and watch the daily parade of cows go by...

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I know for many if it weren't for someone or something,(everyone has their reasons why they're here or why they keep coming)all this talk about how much they LOVE this country would go out the window.They would no longer be here.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Do you live in Bayaguana? My wife and I drove from Sosua to Punta Cana last summer. On the way down we took the main highways down the South Coast through La Romana but on the way back we drove through Bayaguana. We had to cross a river at one point between Hato Mayor and Bayaguana I think. Someone said the road is closed in the rainy season because the river gets too high, lol. It wasn't so bad when we crossed and I had a high jeep so it was not a problem.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Misery breeds company. As the Eagles wrote "all this bitching, fighting and pitching a fit, get over it."

LTSteve

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Do you live in Bayaguana? My wife and I drove from Sosua to Punta Cana last summer. On the way down we took the main highways down the South Coast through La Romana but on the way back we drove through Bayaguana. We had to cross a river at one point between Hato Mayor and Bayaguana I think. Someone said the road is closed in the rainy season because the river gets too high, lol. It wasn't so bad when we crossed and I had a high jeep so it was not a problem.

Indeed I do, on the outskirts of the pueblo, Guerra side. Quiet, relaxing and great folks ( except one f***ing nutter who is sort of connected) !!!

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I know for many if it weren't for someone or something,(everyone has their reasons why they're here or why they keep coming)all this talk about how much they LOVE this country would go out the window.They would no longer be here.

So very true, other beautiful places in the planet as well, for example, Northern Luzon,Philippines,- Switzerland of the East, folks great, weather superb, clean, etc etc. My cards folded here I would relocate there or similar.