How I met my wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I'm going to give this another shot. Hopefully people won't get so personal this time. I'm just offering some positivity among all the negativity. There are certainly enough folks on here that bash Dominican women and say they are all no good gold-diggers. I just don't believe mine is.

dv8 commented that I shouldn't be so quick to boast after only knowing her for 4 years, but in reality most relationships that end will end in 2 years or less so while I haven't been around long enough to be married 30 or 40 years yet I do believe I have found a good wife.

Luperon asked how I met her and that may be helpful information too. I met her at the market. The Associacion in Charamicos. We both did our shopping Saturday mornings. After seeing her there a few times I would ask questions and we would just have quick conversations that started to get longer. Then I would help her carry her stuff to a motoconcho sometimes and we just ended up talking more and more and started having dates.

She is not some young girl I met at a bar. She was independent and responsible when I met her. She understood that paying the rent and buying food is more important than flashy things.

That is important. If you are meeting women at the bar where all the tourists go then those women are looking for a sucker and a meal ticket. Also, chances are if you pick up a 20 year old or younger hottie then she has no clue what is important in the world and just wants her daddy to take care of her. My wife is older than me.

Also if you are intimate the first time you meet someone that may not be a good sign.

I met her just about four years ago. We have been truly dating for about 3 years 8 months. We got married last June.

I said yesterday that she never asks me for anything because I see people post that question all the time. I was just trying to get ahead of the naysayers.

Of course she may ask for something from time to time but its always something little like $200 peso sandals and maybe it happens once every 3 months. The point is she's not asking me to buy her a house, bring her to the U.S., give her ridiculous amounts of cash for something that may or may not be true, etc.

She always knew I had no intent of going back to the U.S. and therefore no visa for her either.

For the first two plus years we were dating she thought I was poor just having enough money to get by modestly here but couldn't afford it in the States. I told her I moved her for cheaper living which is true. I didn't tell her about any of my bank accounts in the States. She knew I still worked every day so she didn't think I was living off of a big bank account. I never dress flashy, don't have a high end rental, etc. She would have no reason to have thought I had any extra money.

If she was planning to suck me dry I don't think she would hang around that long thinking I didn't have anything. There are plenty of easy suckers out there all to willing to buy their love from day one that she could have looked for.

She never mentioned marriage until I asked her to marry me.

I get along very well with her entire family and they are good, working-class people. They are not super poor but they are not rich. They are the typical working class Dominicans.

When we are out at the bar and a relative stops by, sure I buy a couple of drinks. When I am at their house they cook for me.

I have never had her say my relative is sick, give me some money, like you hear everyone else say. I have never had her say I want this or I want that. She shops at the flea market. She actually goes all the way to Puerto Plata in the public car to shop at the flea market there and save a few hundred pesos. I tell her that is silly and she could just go to the flea market here in Sosua but she truly believes it's worth it to save a few hundred pesos and I admire her for sticking to it.

If I buy her something nice because I want to she always says I shouldn't do that and I need to save my money. She even told me a couple of times that something I got her was too much and I should take it back but of course I don't. She understands I am still fairly young and the money I have is to last us the rest of our lives.

I don't buy her nice stuff every day or even week or month. Just for a special occassion. If you try to buy love and buy someone something every day of course they are going to expect it.

She used to work and I convinced her to stop because she wasn't making much money. At first she didn't want to. She didn't want to depend on me and she liked the security of having her own job in case things didn't work out between us. But one time she was truly sick and couldn't work and her boss told her if she didn't work she wouldn't have a job anymore so I told her not to worry about it. I mean she was only making $10,000 pesos per month anyway. I told her if she just took care of the house that would be fine so I could concentrate on my work. I work at home over the internet.

She got bored sitting around the house and wanted to go back to work. I told her it isn't worth it for $10,000 pesos but said she could consider doing good by volunteering to work with children or animals and she does that from time to time and loves it.

So again, just trying to show a positive side. I don't believe every Dominican woman fits this description but if there is one there must be some others out there. Amidst all the negativity don't we need a little light?

How do you NOT find a woman like this? Do what most of the complainers and naysayers do. Throw your money around all the time like your a big shot, meet your women at the bar, only look for girls under the age of 25.

If you really want to meet a real woman, meet a woman not a girl. Don't do it at the bar. Don't try to be mister big shot that is going to fix all her problems from day one.

If you have the right attitude and the right goal you may actually get good results.

Dec 26, 2011
She used to work and I convinced her to stop because she wasn't making much money. At first she didn't want to. She didn't want to depend on me and she liked the security of having her own job in case things didn't work out between us.

Mine is exactly the same. I've hinted at her quitting a few times but she's hesitant, for the reasons you've given. I respect that about her, though I don't like to see her treated unfairly at work or go her whole shift without taking a break.

Four years is a long time, as relationships go. Six months is usually a marker of sorts. Best of luck to the both of you.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
If you really want to meet a real woman, meet a woman not a girl. Don't do it at the bar. Don't try to be mister big shot that is going to fix all her problems from day one.

If you have the right attitude and the right goal you may actually get good results.

Great advice.

Now, come back with an update after a few years.

I will post the "Successful Relationship" thread as soon as I find it.

Please do not open another thread about your wife.

CLOSED

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.