Suitcase scanners at SDQ airport

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Almost every time I take a taxi from Santo Domingo to the SDQ airport and get out, there is an airport employee waiting there on the curb who takes my suitcase and puts it on some conveyor belt where it is scanned or x-rayed or something before I actually enter the airport. The whole process takes about 5 seconds, but the guys seem like they are expecting a tip. Does anyone know what this is about and what kind of tip, if any, is appropriate? Thank you.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I expect he scans the case to see if you are carrying anything you shouldn't do, why ele would they. Why would you tip for an inconvenience?

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
They are no longer doing that, so no worries, and even if they are why would you tip them? They are security.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Well, my last 2 trips to the states were end of October 2012 and Feb 2013, and I didn't even see the scanner either time...but even if it reappers tomorrow, you shouldn't be paying anyone to get your bags scanned...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I think the OP is speaking about "tipping" the baggage handler who greeted him at the curb and not the person scanning the luggage.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Almost every time I take a taxi from Santo Domingo to the SDQ airport and get out, there is an airport employee waiting there on the curb who takes my suitcase and puts it on some conveyor belt where it is scanned or x-rayed or something before I actually enter the airport. The whole process takes about 5 seconds, but the guys seem like they are expecting a tip. Does anyone know what this is about and what kind of tip, if any, is appropriate? Thank you.

About the tip.... I treat them like the vendors on the beach..... look them squarely in the eye and politely decline

I rarely have much luggage - I'm no big loss for them.
Certainly , if I do have luggage worth carrying, they get their 100 pesos

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
After they scan it, they place a little bar coded label on the suitcase. They were still doing it last April, we'll see what happens next month when we leave.

We never tipped the scanner guys, just the guy who takes the luggage from the car and brings it inside to the line/counter.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
It was being done in partnership with the USDA to check for and prevent prohibited tropical fruits and plants from being brought into the United States. December 2010 was when I first noticed that the machine was removed and they were no longer checking. And yes, I have since traveled to and from the DR 4 or 5 times, it's no longer required

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It was being done in partnership with the USDA to check for and prevent prohibited tropical fruits and plants from being brought into the United States. December 2010 was when I first noticed that the machine was removed and they were no longer checking. And yes, I have since traveled to and from the DR 4 or 5 times, it's no longer required

The US is very serious about that - my sister-in-law was handed a $250 fine at JFK because her daughter snuck 2 mangoes into her suitcase.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
They still scan, but they do it in the back. Makes lines shorter and they catch more people. Ever been pulled off the plane to have them check your bags? This is why.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
All you had to do was enter departure go up stairs and you would've by passed the curb machine.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
They do the same thing flying out of San Jan.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The only person I tip now is the bagger at the supermarket.I stopped tipping left and right after two months of living here.I ask and take advice from my father who's been living here for years.He told me don't get into the habit of tipping because they will be expecting it and you're making it worse for those who live here.There is a price for gringos and Dominicans who live abroad and locals.The minute they see you're from abroad you're being charged a higher price and the "tip" is already included.For those who live here you need to be island smart like them.