Moving to DR!

mattlbrody

Mar 29, 2013
Hi,

My girlfriend and I are want to move to the Dominican Republic. My friend used to live there, and said that it's cheap and amazing. We moved back to the states after living in Chengdu, China for 2 year, so I'm not worried about bargaining or culture shock. I am worried that we won't find the right neighborhood to live in or pay to much for an apartment. We have between $3000-$4000 spending cash, not a lot I know. So we don't want to make a fatal error.
Where should we be looking to move in the Dominican Republic? My friend recommended Santo Domingo, but I don't think he traveled much. I like the idea of living in a city on the ocean though.
How much should we expect to pay for an apartment? I've read that they start around $300 in Santo Domingo. Can you recommend a good place to start looking for apartments?
Is food expensive? or is it going to be $1 a meal like in China?
Do you need a license to own a scooter? and How much do they cost?
Thanks for your help in advance. We're hoping to move in a month or two and can't wait to get there.

Matt Brody

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Welcome! Good luck. So many people moving to the DR, incredible, how can it be??? Your post is not structured for a reasonable answer. You can start with your income (jobs)??? Goals?? Ages?? Hobbies, likes? Speak Spanish? Is it $3000 a month? etc etc....

This is why I assume so many puppets exist.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
When you say you have $3000-4000 is that the total amount of your savings? Santo Domingo is a very large city with close to 3 million people. I'm sure you could find reasonably priced apartments but they may not be in the most desireable locations. I take it you don't speak Spanish? You can eat cheaply if you don't mind rice and beans and fruits and vegtables but generally food prices in the Supermarket are not that far from US prices. Honestly I don't know what a used motor bike would cost. It could be from $300-500 and up. Buying a vehicle in the DR is a more complicated process than in the states. If you have a US license you can use that for a while. Although Santo Domingo is on the Caribbean Sea the beaches in town are not very good. There are many other areas of the country with great beaches. I guess it all depends what you are really interested in. Good luck in your search.

LTSteve

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I suggest slowing it down a bit. I have moved here from the U.S. and saved a lot of money but I don't see the prices as low as you do if you are going be comfortable. I live on $1,500/month total right now, but it is more modest than most expats. Also, the cost is not the only thing. This place has a lot of ups and downs. It's not for everyone. It's not for most people. Some like me have enjoyed it here, but I wouldn't commit to moving here before I spent several months visiting. To find the right neighborhood and apt, etc. it is best to have your feet on the ground and look around. Bottom line is I love it here and I think others can to but I have known far too many that moved down here after a one week vacation or less and turned out dreading it shortly thereafter.

Mar 1, 2009
Hello Mr. Brody, the Dominican republic is a great place to live if you have the right mindset. If your positive and can be very fluid you can make it here. If your negative and not easily adaptable you'll fall flat on your face. Dominicans are amazing folk, are very friendly and you'll never be alone here. We are very nosy people. Your 3000, is that all your coming with?
Do you mean that will be your monthly income?
For how long are you staying?

If you want to live by the ocean, I humbly recommend Juan Dolio, it's 45 minutes away by car from the capital, the beaches are superb, less population heavy.
If you want less people and more of Pirates of Caribbean "lite", stay in the North Coast.
There you will find Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete.

The island is big and varied enough you'll find a lot of variety. It's a minor air hub so you can catch flights to South America, Central America and the other islands easily.

Come check DR out and see the most beautiful of islands

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I don't know about Santo Domingo but I heard $300 a decent apartment for rent is going to be OK in Santiago. You need to supply the basic appliances like refrigerator, stove and washer though. But for the food $1 is not going to take you anywhere, unless you like egg, rice and been or yucca. If you want some variety in your diet and wants some of the food from back home, expect to budget exactly same as back home(US) with slightly less quantity and quality.

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
You need to give a little more infro. I lived in S.D. for a year..I now live in San Predro..I pay 200us a mo. rent nice place.Very good area..1 block from malicon.. Hot water, luz all the time many places to walk too.. No you do not need anything to buy or drive a scooter..Well plate and Ins. A good used scooter run about 1000us a GOOD one.. I have a few from 700 to 1500us I paid.. food if you eat D.R. and shop right about 30dls. a week.. I like steaks,ect. I spend a lot..

Feb 15, 2005
You need to give a little more infro. I lived in S.D. for a year..I now live in San Predro..I pay 200us a mo. rent nice place.Very good area..1 block from malicon.. Hot water, luz all the time many places to walk too.. No you do not need anything to buy or drive a scooter..Well plate and Ins. A good used scooter run about 1000us a GOOD one.. I have a few from 700 to 1500us I paid.. food if you eat D.R. and shop right about 30dls. a week.. I like steaks,ect. I spend a lot..

So $350-$400 covers your overall costs?

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
So $350-$400 covers your overall costs?
Well I have cable, phone, internet, 2 in wall A/C (the big ones) car (gas) and I like steaks and presidente..So NO.. But when my girl is here and I am in states yes..She trys to keep A/C off she loves here scooter (doesn't really drive car) and eats like a Domincan so yes Oh and yes nice place and area..Plus I have a nice place in San Diego, CA..So when I say my place for D.R. is good it is good..Bills here phone and internet and sky cost 2800 a mo. casa 8000 a mo. luz 2000 a mo more or less and food 40001 a mo. only my girl..16800 a mo.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If your girl is spending almost 17,000 pesos a month for food, she is feeding a lot more "Friends", not just herself!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That said, after seeing her pictures (Why On Earth Did You Take Them Down??????)
It is money, Well Spent"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
She has the nicest teeth I've ever come across!