Barcelo dumping garbage in Cortecito near schools

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Since I have not received any response from the hotel management I am using all the social media venues to raise my concern. Every morning I walk my daughter to the Arca de Noa school in Cortecito. Although it is not unusual to find garbage on the streets everyday there has been a particular empty lot beside this little school that has been accumulating an exceptional amount of garbage the last few weeks. It has even been lit on fire once creating a huge thick black cloud of smoke in the area. This morning I finally caught the culprit, a white pick up with Barcelo staff, uniform and name tag included emptying his truck in our little community. Who is controlling this mess. Politur wont do anything nor Ayuntamiento. I cant even get my head around how a huge hotel such as Barcelo would even do such a thing so close to its hotel and in the community so close to a school. Attracting stray (aggressive) dogs, rats, all kinds of insects and mosquitos.
I was thinking to post pictures up around the area but that would only turn into garbage adding to the problem. Does anyone know who might be able to help resolve this issue.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
David and Goliath. Well, it can be assumed that even if the "authorities" got involved, a few bucks would cause instant blindness.

If what you say is true... how about first contacting the Barcelo management? I say, if one has a problem, the first step is to try to fix it directly. Second step... Barcelo Corporate level. If none of that works.... go VIRAL. the power of the internet. Trip Advisor... et. al. And then you also have the added ammunition that your attempts to get the culprit to fix the problem were ignored.

Good luck... you'll need it... but then again... David DID win, didn't he?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
David and Goliath. Well, it can be assumed that even if the "authorities" got involved, a few bucks would cause instant blindness.

If what you say is true... how about first contacting the Barcelo management? I say, if one has a problem, the first step is to try to fix it directly. Second step... Barcelo Corporate level. If none of that works.... go VIRAL. the power of the internet. Trip Advisor... et. al. And then you also have the added ammunition that your attempts to get the culprit to fix the problem were ignored.

Good luck... you'll need it... but then again... David DID win, didn't he?

GO VIRAL FIRST!! why bother wasting time with them, having them dicking you around? a few videos on youtube will fix their collective asses.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Seriously? What a bunch of.... I agree. Catch them on camera. Make sure loads of people see it. I can't believe it. The just did a community clean up too, and all the garbage is back again. ugh.

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
After 3 attempts to speak with a manager at the hotel I finally got through after threatening to go to the media. Mr. Simone Farci sub-director of Barcelo Dominican Beach has assured me he will rectify the situation. Let us see! He advised me if I had any future concerns to contact him directly 809-723-1937. I would say all of us concerned citizens should give him a shout this upcoming week! I don't see why any of these colossal hotel chains can't contribute much more then just clean up their own trash.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
GO VIRAL FIRST!! why bother wasting time with them, having them dicking you around? a few videos on youtube will fix their collective asses.

I just figure it's best to give someone a chance to make things right. That's how I roll... on a person to person / face to face level and out in the open whenever possible. If that doesn't work... then other tactics. IMO it's better than a "behind the back" maneuver. But whatever... everyone has their own way of dealing with problems. The one up side is that maybe they'll clean up the mess!!! Not much chance of that happening if you go with the sneak attack first. My Grandmom always said, "You can catch more flies with sugar than vinegar." (Yes... for real... she said that all the time.)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
After 3 attempts to speak with a manager at the hotel I finally got through after threatening to go to the media. Mr. Simone Farci sub-director of Barcelo Dominican Beach has assured me he will rectify the situation. Let us see! He advised me if I had any future concerns to contact him directly 809-723-1937. I would say all of us concerned citizens should give him a shout this upcoming week! I don't see why any of these colossal hotel chains can't contribute much more then just clean up their own trash.

Awesome. Hope it works. BTW... if I'm not mistaken, I think maybe the B.D.B. contributed to the recent "neighborhood clean up" effort. I'd have to go back to my emails from those in my complex that participated.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I just figure it's best to give someone a chance to make things right. That's how I roll... on a person to person / face to face level and out in the open whenever possible. If that doesn't work... then other tactics. IMO it's better than a "behind the back" maneuver. But whatever... everyone has their own way of dealing with problems. The one up side is that maybe they'll clean up the mess!!! Not much chance of that happening if you go with the sneak attack first. My Grandmom always said, "You can catch more flies with sugar than vinegar." (Yes... for real... she said that all the time.)

Captain, i am all for the 'give them a chance first ' approach, but with caveats. it depends upon what they do. if they contribute to pollution, and create a public health nuisance and hazard, i do not see that they should merit a civilized approach. if you and i , and the poster, are aware of the negative externalities of dumping rubbish in a public place, so are they. they just do not give a darn. as such, they do not merit common decency.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Unfortunately almost all emptly lots in el Cortecito are a black hole plenty of trash.
I feel so tired of seeing this every day. when you enter el Cortecito area by the road on the lateral of Plaza Artistica,there is a lot which is an absolut hell of trash, that is the view some apartments from Estrella de Mar condominium have.
I cannot understand how authorities do nothing about it. Dont understand how the builders of all condominiums here in el Cortecito do nothing about it, dont talk to authorities, dont do anything by themselves ...
How nice to be in a nice apartment at any of those nice condominiums and while having a coffee on the terrace you are able to see all that s**** surrounding the whole area ...
Im really tired to see how so many people behave worse than animals and degradate the place we are living in, no education, no respect for the others and the environment ...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Unfortunately almost all emptly lots in el Cortecito are a black hole plenty of trash.
I feel so tired of seeing this every day. when you enter el Cortecito area by the road on the lateral of Plaza Artistica,there is a lot which is an absolut hell of trash, that is the view some apartments from Estrella de Mar condominium have.
I cannot understand how authorities do nothing about it. Dont understand how the builders of all condominiums here in el Cortecito do nothing about it, dont talk to authorities, dont do anything by themselves ...
How nice to be in a nice apartment at any of those nice condominiums and while having a coffee on the terrace you are able to see all that s**** surrounding the whole area ...
Im really tired to see how so many people behave worse than animals and degradate the place we are living in, no education, no respect for the others and the environment ...

there is a sociological concept known as 'lack of a good example". heck, when the poor people see the so called 'high society" folks in their multi million peso jeepetas throwing bottles and styrofoam plates onto the highway, what can we expect them to do? i have seen Dominicans fastidiously sweeping in front of their homes, in order to keep their frontages clean, then proceeding 10 yards down the road and throwing rubbish on the street , in front of SOMEOME ELSE'S place.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The reality is these guys just aren't doing their job, they will be being paid to dispose of this elsewhere, dumping it in your area and spending the time it should have taken them doing sod all or sharing a brugal.
If the hotel was dumping its waste there then you would know it, this is just plain laziness. Take a camera, take a few pics of napkins or else with the name on, then pop into the hotel and tell the manager of your concerns, I will wager he knows nothing, nor does the disposal boss man.

usually when they start burning it is a sign they are establishing a new site, just nip it before it begins, shouldn't be difficult, a couple will be sacked, ya!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
there is a sociological concept known as 'lack of a good example". heck, when the poor people see the so called 'high society" folks in their multi million peso jeepetas throwing bottles and styrofoam plates onto the highway, what can we expect them to do? i have seen Dominicans fastidiously sweeping in front of their homes, in order to keep their frontages clean, then proceeding 10 yards down the road and throwing rubbish on the street , in front of SOMEOME ELSE'S place.

This Dominican behavior is annoying and counterproductive to the marketed paradise image the world receives from the spin masters.

Ever follow behind a bus/gua-gua/motor coach ?

One would think by law/regulation each coach have a trash recepticle and the conductor has the right to throw out the passenger(s) who toss trash from his vehicle so they may reunited with their trash.

Regards,

PJT

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Since I have not received any response from the hotel management I am using all the social media venues to raise my concern. Every morning I walk my daughter to the Arca de Noa school in Cortecito. Although it is not unusual to find garbage on the streets everyday there has been a particular empty lot beside this little school that has been accumulating an exceptional amount of garbage the last few weeks. It has even been lit on fire once creating a huge thick black cloud of smoke in the area. This morning I finally caught the culprit, a white pick up with Barcelo staff, uniform and name tag included emptying his truck in our little community. Who is controlling this mess. Politur wont do anything nor Ayuntamiento. I cant even get my head around how a huge hotel such as Barcelo would even do such a thing so close to its hotel and in the community so close to a school. Attracting stray (aggressive) dogs, rats, all kinds of insects and mosquitos.
I was thinking to post pictures up around the area but that would only turn into garbage adding to the problem. Does anyone know who might be able to help resolve this issue.

Arca de Noa school..........Is that the little school across the street from the Palladium grounds, on the way towards the beach in El Cortecito?
It seems somehow ludicrous that Barcelo Hoteles would be dumping their garbage in this manner.....Theirs is a large operation with literally "tons" of garbage every day. Why would they be dumping in El Cortecito? Perhaps an errant employee moonlighting in some other capacity?
This sad story is sadly not a new one. I saw it mentionned in some posts and I can agree that a goodly part of the land in El Cortecito is sitting atop garbage dumps...All of the large hotels in the area once dumped their garbage in plain view of the population, it would be left for a certain period of time to allow for scavanging and further putrification and then it would be burned.....
Interestingly enough, the one hotel that did this "in private" on unarguably, their own land, was the Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort. For reference purposes I am talking about the early to mid nineties.
The issue of garbage disposal in Punta Cana/Bavaro was always one of my pet peeves. When you would get up in the morning and inhale those noxious fumes and witness the haze in the air.........Somehow the beauty of the coastline did seem so beautiful any more......:disappoin

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
changes come slowly. there has been an educational effort put forward over the past couple of years, trying to teach the next generation the advantages of cleaning up the environment. On a more immediate approach, there was recently, (couple of weeks ago), a major clean up of the neighborhood, spearheaded by a couple of ex pats and a local R.E. agent, and supported by a number of local businesses, developers, and residents with donations of money, materials (bags, etc.), food and beverages for those working, trucks to haul away the trash, and of course the volunteer efforts of many in the area. Sadly, it happened after my recent visit.

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
this country has no solution at all ... absolut lack of minimum ethic behaviour from a big part of the population, authorities not taking care of the degradation of the touristic areas (the ones which are the best source of income for the country!), etc, etc, etc ...
I really wonder how this country can compete with other Caribbean destinations which are cleaner, more developed, with more educated population and with the sense of taking care of their own treasures which give income to the whole country.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
changes come slowly. there has been an educational effort put forward over the past couple of years, trying to teach the next generation the advantages of cleaning up the environment. On a more immediate approach, there was recently, (couple of weeks ago), a major clean up of the neighborhood, spearheaded by a couple of ex pats and a local R.E. agent, and supported by a number of local businesses, developers, and residents with donations of money, materials (bags, etc.), food and beverages for those working, trucks to haul away the trash, and of course the volunteer efforts of many in the area. Sadly, it happened after my recent visit.

do not worry, Captain. i assure you that there will be more than enough garbage to clean up on your next visit, should you be so inclined to doing a civic duty.