The new guy

carterkerrie

Mar 29, 2013
Hello everyone

I am the new guy here I guess one can say.I am engaged to a dominican woman that resides in the city of santiago.We have been engaged for a long time now I am not in any rush to get married until I know for sure that this is what I want to do and the one I want to do this with.

I have a question about the true cost of living there in the dominican republic?We are not yet married for the reasons stated above.I send to her 200 us every week and she use this money for food and things in home she tells me.My first question,how much does food items cost there for a woman and child?It seems to me that 200 US a week is kind of steep for food.But I could be very wrong I am not afraid to admit my ignorance about this subject.I just need sound information before I start to make judgements.

If anyone cares to reply to this post I will greatly appreciate it thanks.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
$200 a week seems extremely high. ($8,200 pesos a week)
A police officer, although poorly paid, gets about $200 a month.
How did she survive before you started paying her?
You should read the "Men from mars and women from venus" forum.
Men from mars and women from venus

Sounds like she may be a member of the "Western Union Club".

"R"

Dec 26, 2011
No bullying, carterkerrie. There are some posters here that will insist that if your gf can't answer your phone call on the first ring it's because she has some guy's junk in her mouth. :) We don't know your gf and that's not a nice thing to say. But we can do some simple math and, as you state your intentions, you can begin to make some judgments based on facts and figures.

What's her rent?

Is it just her and the baby? Or do parents or siblings live with her?

Does she work? If not, has she worked recently? What is/was her income?

What's the situation with the baby's daddy? Where is he? Does he visit? Does he provide support?

That's enough to get you started.

Good luck.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hello everyone

I am the new guy here I guess one can say.I am engaged to a dominican woman that resides in the city of santiago.We have been engaged for a long time now I am not in any rush to get married until I know for sure that this is what I want to do and the one I want to do this with.

I have a question about the true cost of living there in the dominican republic?We are not yet married for the reasons stated above.I send to her 200 us every week and she use this money for food and things in home she tells me.My first question,how much does food items cost there for a woman and child?It seems to me that 200 US a week is kind of steep for food.But I could be very wrong I am not afraid to admit my ignorance about this subject.I just need sound information before I start to make judgements.

i am going to pile on, hoping it will help. there are several guys who i know who live decently on 1000 dollars per month here. very decently. with that grand, they pay rent, light, internet, cable, health insurance, and all the miscellaneous other doo-dads. and they buy food!!! what is your girl eating? chateaubriand 7 nights per week? better yet; what was she eating before she had a 200 dollar per week stipend for food? here is an idea. stop sending her 200 per week for a month, and see how much weight she loses. just hope that some guy called Fausto, who rides a Yamaha Jog, does not have a contemporaneous bout of food insecurity.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
.... there are several guys who i know who live decently on 1000 dollars per month here. very decently. with that grand, they pay rent, light, internet, cable, health insurance, and all the miscellaneous other doo-dads. and they buy food!!! .....

And they are probably not Dominican ... a Dominican can usually live on less money ... ;)

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Do whatever makes you happy! You will be getting abusive responses by losers that wished they could afford to do the same thing and maybe even wish you would send them $US200 weekly, so they would have an easier time paying for their cigarettes, rum and crack putas for the week.
Whatever makes you happy dude!

So far, I have seen no one say that he shouldn't send that money. I agree that he should do what HE is comfortable with. After all, it may just be "pocket change" for him.

He wanted to know, and he was provided with, a "perspective".

Dec 26, 2011
So far, I have seen no one say that he shouldn't send that money. I agree that he should do what HE is comfortable with. After all, it may just be "pocket change" for him.

He wanted to know, and he was provided with, a "perspective".

Exactly, Major.

It may be as simple as he offered and she gladly accepted. That's great. What the OP himself seems to be seeking, Tonto, is some feedback on what's a realistic weekly grocery bill for a mother and infant in Santiago. Are we allowed to help him with that?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Exactly, Major.

It may be as simple as he offered and she gladly accepted. That's great. What the OP himself seems to be seeking, Tonto, is some feedback on what's a realistic weekly grocery bill for a mother and infant in Santiago. Are we allowed to help him with that?

Exactly, Pollogringo.

maybe he confided in some Dominican guy that he sends her 200 dollars for food, and the guy had a fainting spell, so he caught a hint that he might be sending too much, and is asking for info to right the ship.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
A grand a month in the DR while paying rent etc in my opinion is working on a shoe string budget. I spend a grand a week and don't pay rent. I can pay 500 bucks alone, for gas for my SUV, during a 3 week trip though. I go to nice restaurants often too.
12 grand a year doesn't cut it in my opinion.

But he wasn't asking about supporting YOU ..... or YOUR costs .....

msdelarenta

Apr 4, 2013
The info is a little to vague. It ALL depends in different factors, if she works, how many people are in that household, were she does her groceries, what other expenses does she have to pay. But from my experience, I've bought groceries that range from 2,000-4,000 for a family of 4 which still isn't as much as $200 USD.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
There is no reason whatsoever to be sending her 200 per week. NONE.

stop it immediately. dont be a pendejo. - scale it back to 200 a month

her reaction will be priceless - lt us know how it turn out.

Dec 26, 2011
The info is a little to vague. It ALL depends in different factors, if she works, how many people are in that household, were she does her groceries, what other expenses does she have to pay. But from my experience, I've bought groceries that range from 2,000-4,000 for a family of 4 which still isn't as much as $200 USD.

And her debt.

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
Hello everyone

WOW been with my girl for almost 5 years.She is dominican (no kids) When I am not here (d.r.) she takes 2000peso a week for food, gas for her scooter and saloon. She gets by fine..