Plane crash at the Santo Domingo air show. 2 pilots missing.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
BHRtuziCEAA5HwS.jpg:large

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Tragic news. Condolences to their families and comrades.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Not the first time this has happened in Santo Domingo, so I hear.

This is what happens when third world countries try to do first world things. Typical of the Latin American ego. Showing off when one doesn't have the ability, education, training, or correct attitude. But plenty of machismo to make up for all those shortcomings.

Sad loss of these young airmen. RIP.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
RIP

[video=youtube;i_vGX7lzVMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_vGX7lzVMQ[/video]

Dec 26, 2011

This is what happens when third world countries try to do first world things. Typical of the Latin American ego. Showing off when one doesn't have the ability, education, training, or correct attitude. But plenty of machismo to make up for all those shortcomings.

That sounds very harsh, and very true.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That sounds very harsh, and very true.

it is sad, and it is true. the DR is not exactly renowned for the quality of its pilots. either that, or the quality of its planes. there have been so many crashes of small aircraft here, i sometimes wonder if they are being flown by motoconcho riders.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

not all third world countries have incompetent pilots. i have buddies that work in the Arab states in the middle east, and those countries swear by pilots from Trinidad, Barbados, and Jamaica.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
not all third world countries have incompetent pilots. i have buddies that work in the Arab states in the middle east, and those countries swear by pilots from Trinidad, Barbados, and Jamaica.

I hear you, but that's why I emphasised the Latin American ego. A culture of show offs. Trinidad, Barbados and Jamaica aren't Latin!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Air shows are low altitude events. The margin of error is razor thin.

Not every pilot is Bob Hoover*.

*Greatest piloting I ever saw was at Sun 'n Fun in Lakeland, Hoover doing engine-off barrel rolls and loops barely off the deck, ending up with a two-touch perfect landing...in a big Aero Commander Shrike:

[video=youtube;9ZBcapxGHjE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBcapxGHjE[/video]

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Dec 26, 2011
Beeza flies. He flies in RD. He works at an airport in RD. His testimony has great weight. The apologetics are getting old.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have flown with DR pilots to San Juan, New York, Caracas, Haiti, Jamaica, on all kinds of aircraft, from Hueys, DC-3s to Super Constellations, DC-4s, DC 7s, and DC-9 and the 747 of Aerovias Quisqueyana and Compa??a Dominicana de Aviaci?n....

I have also heard some friends say"No way I'd try and fly that plane" referring to a small cloth-winged jet of the FAD way back in 1963...a "Mosquito?" ?? No!!! it was called a "Vampire" ...a British plane.

Sorry for this. I expect that some more video will surface...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In the US you could probably find an airshow of some sort every weekend. In the UK, there is at least one a month during the summer.

The DR has ONE every year and their safety record isn't very good.

With all due respect Beeza air shows are about showing off so it would be better to lament the fact that these guys aren't given the budget to get the training they need than to make this a cultural issue.

NY2DR

Nov 21, 2009
Yes very unfortunate. Their instructor was on the news emphasizing how they were properly trained, I guess he was trying to deflect the blame. On another note is it just me? but I'm becoming desensitized to the DR media when they publicize accidents like this one. I just watched the clip on the news of the plane going down in the water & they must have repeated it about 10-15 straight. I initially thought it was excessive but I guess I'm used to it by now.