Homelessness in santo domingo

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
Saludos,
hope you all are fine.
I guess my earlier post was erased.
to the administrators, as i mention we can meet!
i am a dominican, social worker of many years and togther with some freinds and volunteers, are going out two or 3 nights a weeks and reaching out to the homeless, food, blankets, etc they are all over the city, but we do concentrate more at this time in zona colonial and malecon, because it is a safer area after midnight.

in a couple of weeks journalist judith lecrec of CDN will showcase our work in her show WEB SHOW MIL HISTORIAS CON JUDITH LECLERC - YouTube

We are just concerned citizens and hope to concern others as well,if any folks in santo domingo are interested, please let me know!
thanks
fraternally
felix
felix.cepeda@gmail.com

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
I applaud you for trying to better mankind here. I wish I wasn't leaving in a few days. Next year I hope to be devoting a good portion of time here to volunteer work, I have copied your email with a note on my calendar for this coming January. If you are still doing good work, I may be interested in helping. God Bless you for your service here.
J.Baby

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
Hey Hope you are fine.
our imediate and main goal, is to make them feel that they are not alone, its really cool, that soemthing so simple as spending some time, speaking to them and giving them a sandwich, means so much to them and it also means a lot to us!

our long term goal, is to start a dorothy day house of hospitality in santo domingo.
Info on Dorothy day: she was featured in this book, the 100 greatest americans of the 20th century, a social justice hall of fame.

The 100 Greatest Americans of the 20th Century: A Social Justice Hall of Fame: Peter Dreier: 9781568586816: Amazon.com: Books
Dorothy Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please let me know if you are interested, I can email you more information, or you can google her, there is a lot of reading material, and videos on her, we need all the help possible.
thanks
fraternally
felix

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Felix

Great work! I am also interested in the homeless and in fact am doing my masters thesis on low income housing here in the DR. My goal would be one day to present this to the government for infrastructure support and then team up with a private investor for funding. The crux of this type of development is reducing the cost of construction for apartments to no more than US25 a foot and low income housing to US12 a foot using recycled materials and/or new building systems. I will be finished in August.

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
sounds great!
good luck!

just in case it helps, and you do not know about them: the idustrial areas foundation:Industrial Areas Foundation

has done really interesting work in creating housing in poor neighborhoods in nyc and all around the usa
fraternally
felix

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
Be very careful with these people.. Some of them are schizophrenic and they tend to be pretty violent due to lack of medication.

felixelgato

Sep 25, 2007
thanks, i have some experience with the homeless and its true what you are saying. i am a Scaredy Cat, but i always hope, that fear does not stop us from doing good, which does not mean that we dont have to be carefull.
fraternally
felix