citizenship seems to be a long wait

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I applied for Dominican citizenship about 1 year ago and now my residency is up for renewal. Do I need to renew my residency I have already had my interview six months ago and they say it is up to Interpol to check things out.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
It takes time, buddy... Interpol just approved me, but I still don't have a date for the next step. I started around October... My residencia is probably "vencida"...

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
It takes time, buddy... Interpol just approved me, but I still don't have a date for the next step. I started around October... My residencia is probably "vencida"...

Can you schedule a specific date for the Spanish-language interview and for the swearing-in ceremony (or choose from a selection of dates), or are you assigned a fixed date that you must show up on?

How far in advance are these dates communicated to the applicants?

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Is there anyone that can give me an idea of where to go from here. I have filed all the papers some year ago and had the interview and they are supposed to contract me through my lawyer. Well I have been trying to contact my lawyer and he seems to have disappeared and I don't know if the government has tried to contact me or who to call to find out.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
You've been screwed by your lawyer if he/she disappeared.
Start over.
With a reputable lawyer.
Suerte

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Is there anyone that can give me an idea of where to go from here. I have filed all the papers some year ago and had the interview and they are supposed to contract me through my lawyer. Well I have been trying to contact my lawyer and he seems to have disappeared and I don't know if the government has tried to contact me or who to call to find out.

Did you use a well-known firm or a low-cost lawyer?

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Call the interior y policia. The secretary is pretty helpful, and it doesn't matter that you started with a lawyer. If he actually deposited your papers, then you can continue the process without him.

If the problem is in Interpol, you need to call Interpol every week until they give you an answer.