can i leave DR with an expired passport?

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
my passport is due to expire in July, so i was planning on visiting home around that time and get a new one.

well, now something has come up so i'd be helpful if i could postpone that trip by one month, my passport (austrian / european union) would be expired by then.

is it still possible to leave the country?

(i haven't checked yet with the austrian embassy if i can even enter austria with an expired passport, one step at a time)

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
I guess no, as first the airline will not take you on board.
But I have never done it, so the risk would be to high.

Simply get a new one here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My understanding is that you can always enter your home country on an expired passport.

(Renewing a US passport using the US consulate in POP takes three weeks). No idea if an Austrian passport can be renewed within the DR.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I would suggest ringing your embassy or consulate to get a definitive answer.

A quick google search reveals that your nearest embassy is in Caracas, Venezuela

Avenida Orinoco (entre Mucuch?es y Perij?)
Las Mercedes, Torre D & D - Piso PT - Oficina PT-N
Caracas
Venezuela
Phone:
+58-212-999-1211
Fax:
+58-212-993-2753
+58-212-993-2275
Email:
caracas-ob@bmeia.gv.at
Website URL:
Au?enministerium ?sterreich -> Botschaft -> Caracas

And there is an Austrian consulate in Santo Domingo
KM 11 Autopista Duarte, gegen?ber "Alfareria"
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Phone:
+1-809-9477888
Fax:
+1-809-5325603
Email:
cdo.austria@codetel.net.do
kostreicher@freewater-trade.com
Website URL:
www.cdo-austria.org.do

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
My understanding is that you can always enter your home country on an expired passport.

(Renewing a US passport using the US consulate in POP takes three weeks). No idea if an Austrian passport can be renewed within the DR.
I second this. If you are an Australian citizen you have an automatic right to enter Australia. You are ALWAYS allowed to enter your home country with an expired passport. What you can not do is enter a country you are not a citizen of with an expired passport. To be clear you can enter a country you are a citizen of with an expired passport. Once in your home country you MUST renew your passport before you are allowed to leave. Therefore, you must take this into account if you are planning a short trip to your home country on an expired passport.

NotLurking

I second this. If you are an Australian citizen you have an automatic right to enter Australia. You are ALWAYS allowed to enter your home country with an expired passport. What you can not do is enter a country you are not a citizen of with an expired passport. To be clear you can enter a country you are a citizen of with an expired passport. Once in your home country you MUST renew your passport before you are allowed to leave. Therefore, you must take this into account if you are planning a short trip to your home country on an expired passport.

NotLurking

Austrian

Not Australian....

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
If you want to be absolutely sure; report to the Austrian consulate that you cannot find your passport anymore and ask if they will issue (temporary) travel documents.

They are surely able to do this.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
If you want to be absolutely sure; report to the Austrian consulate that you cannot find your passport anymore and ask if they will issue (temporary) travel documents.

They are surely able to do this.

this sounds like a plan, especially the hint with the airline was helpful.

my problem is not if i can enter austria or not. a short call or email to call the embassy/consulate and that's solved, i oc have all the contact details from them. my question was rather if i face problem when leaving the domrep/boarding the plan.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

my problem is not if i can enter austria or not. a short call or email to call the embassy/consulate and that's solved, i oc have all the contact details from them. my question was rather if i face problem when leaving the domrep/boarding the plan.

Yes, you will. I showed my expired passport by mistake to the airline, and they would not give me a boarding pass. Luckily enough I had my good one with me as well.

BelgianK

Jan 9, 2004

The answer is YES. In order to receive a boarding pass from the airline you will need a valid passport....and an expired passport is not valid.

D.Rep had it right in post #3.

You have plenty of time to take care of it before your upcoming flight.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

NotLurking

PUT ANOTHER SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE

[video=youtube;rOFjCWEB52M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOFjCWEB52M[/video]

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
No you wont have any problems if traveling to a country you are a citizen of. All citizen have an inherent right to enter their country.

NotLurking

Yea.. but not an inherent right to fly on a plane. AND IT'S A LONG SWIM TO EUROPE. LOL

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
I would recommend sorting the passport issue before you go to the DR. Your vacation in paradise could turn into an extended stay in an island full of strong poverty. It will not be so fun if you are stuck there. I was stuck there years ago after my passport got wet in a rain storm on the beach. I thought it was safe in a towel and in a plastic bag. My vacation funds dwindled and the paradise looked more like a dead end, hopeless place. If you are stuck there and no one honors the old passport, go to the embassy for your country immediately and explain what happened.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Agree with that

If for any reason the plane needs to go down somewhere else then you would need a passport or be stranded like Victor in the movie The Terminal and the airline won't take that risk.

Yes, you will. I showed my expired passport by mistake to the airline, and they would not give me a boarding pass. Luckily enough I had my good one with me as well.

BelgianK

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
If for any reason the plane needs to go down somewhere else then you would need a passport or be stranded like Victor in the movie The Terminal and the airline won't take that risk.

This the reason they won't allow you on without valid documentation. Get the (temporary) travel from the consulate before you fly.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
But have the old document with you. I renewed my passport in Panama and then when leaving presented it, they wanted to see the old one for proof of when I arrove. Didn't have it with me, they drew me to one side and we talked for almost an hour but they did allow me to board the plane at the last minute.
Der Fish

Wow! I believe what you're writing but can't help but wonder what would happen in case of loss or theft? If you have valid travel documents then you have valid travel documents period.