Oct 8, 2011
Does anyone know this area?

is it close to the metro?

If anyone can shed light on this,

i will appreciate it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yes, I know Villa Mella quite well, what do you want to know. If you need metro stops then look on net, it is not difficult.

As a general consensus among foreigners this is not the place you will want to live. I rented a 4 bedroomed, 3 bathroom house ther for RD4500 a couple of years ago for the guys looking after my pigs. It is fine if you are poor, but if you are anything other than poor then you become a target unless you are known well.

tell me what you are looking for, I live in the region now, but not Mella. I know what's on offer and general prices and what the area is like around most areas.

Dec 26, 2011
I had a place there in 2010. On Calle Minerva Mirabal, off of Ave. Hermanas Mirabal. The Metro runs right through the area. I used the Gomez station when riding. I never experienced any danger or felt threatened, but it does have bit of a reputation.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
half of the 1 st metro line runs through the main corridor of Villa Mella, lived there for 4 years and still work there after 13 years.

What do you want the light shed upon about V.M.?

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
half of the 1 st metro line runs through the main corridor of Villa Mella, lived there for 4 years and still work there after 13 years.

What do you want the light shed upon about V.M.?

i was actually trying to compare Villa Mela to an area like Gazcue in terms of safety, crime, cost of living,

how much will it cost to rent a one bedroom apt in Villa Mela?

I am actually trying to find an inexpensive area of tbe city that runs along the metro.

any advice?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i went to villa mella on my recent trip to SD. you could not pay me enough to go and live there. it's not even about the safety but the dirt and the noise in unbelievable...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
i was actually trying to compare Villa Mela to an area like Gazcue in terms of safety, crime, cost of living,

how much will it cost to rent a one bedroom apt in Villa Mela?

I am actually trying to find an inexpensive area of tbe city that runs along the metro.

any advice?

I think you should go live there, will make for good entertainment on DR1 and maybe even a National Geographic issue :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do you mean, Villa "MELLA"?
Great "Barrio"!
By actual count, I have had sex with 469 girls from "Villa Mella".
And half of their mothers!
At the SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Abuelita" watch the kids.
She was PI$$ED", wanted some of the action!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There is only one reason to want to move to Villa Mella. If you've already visited the place, you know this barrio is the home of the sweetest looking morenitas in the whole Santo Domingo area. It has the same rep the Cibao has for the nicest looking light-skinned Dominicanas.

I would understand how you, as an expat or expat-to-be, would want to be there for that particular reason, but comparing Villa Mella to Gazcue is a stretch even the most unseasoned rookie couldn't make with a straight face. Also, you must think of your safety.

You could live in Gazcue and have your ladies come and visit you. They can take the metro into the city and you'll be in a much safer environment.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Find the thread or the blog of Danduva, and you get first hand description of the living in VM :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think i remember the thread but my search for a danduva blog brought up this:
Santo Domingo Diaries

last post from august 2012. and just reading that... gosh... if i were contemplating moving to DR and read that i would think sierra leone was a better place :) man, am i happy to have health insurance!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and yes, this is the blog from the guy who used to live in villa mella. but not anymore. i am reading it slowly. it's very much like something by grahame greene. desperately sad.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
I had a super hot lady in Villa Mella. I went there often. It is a place full of hot women but it is not safe. Gascue is full of foreigners and people with money. Wealthy, local Dominicans ride through in expensive SUVs in Gascue and they own places there. VIlla Mella is full of poor and desperate people and the police will not respond as well and as quickly there. I would pick Gascue over Villa Mella as a foreigner to live. You can always visit Villa Mella to get laid but live in Gascue. Also, you will find barrio chicks that just want some fast and easy money and visas in Villa Mella but in Gascue you have the chance to meet classier and educated Dominicanas.

Dec 26, 2011
There is only one reason to want to move to Villa Mella. If you've already visited the place, you know this barrio is the home of the sweetest looking morenitas in the whole Santo Domingo area. It has the same rep the Cibao has for the nicest looking light-skinned Dominicanas.

I would understand how you, as an expat or expat-to-be, would want to be there for that particular reason, but comparing Villa Mella to Gazcue is a stretch even the most unseasoned rookie couldn't make with a straight face. Also, you must think of your safety.

You could live in Gazcue and have your ladies come and visit you. They can take the metro into the city and you'll be in a much safer environment.

?Y los chicharrones?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Gazcue obviously doesn't compare to Villa Mella but I wouldn't call it a neighborhood for wealthy people. I would never live in Villa Mella but neither in Gazcue.

web

Nov 5, 2005
make sure you ride with them the first time on the metro so they can learn the turnstile and escalator
;>)