Looking for a job in Punta Cana... Mission Impossible?

Claudimel

Apr 14, 2013
First of all hi everybody, I'm so happy I had the chance to have a life experience in this amazing country.
I moved to Punta Cana few days ago to follow my girlfriend as she works in one of the many resorts here in the area. I'm trying to find a job too but it's getting so pretty hard. Before coming I thought it would have been not so difficult as I speak Spanish too and I work as well in the hospitality industry, but until now all the hotels and resorts I've visited keep telling me there are no available positions.
So, I'm just wondering, is possible to find an occupation here? Maybe I've come in the wrong period? I'm starting to be worried because if I don't find anything within the next weeks I have to leave the Country. Is there anybody here that can give me some tip? Have you experienced the same problem?

Thanks a lot in advance

Dec 26, 2011
My gf's brother and SIL recently moved to the area from Moca. It took him a little over two months to land a job.

Don't give up.

Doesn't your gf have some connections that would help?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
first, I'll say that moving to a new country with no job, no prospects, and only a couple of weeks of "float" money saved, was either very brave or very ... ok, I'll be nice... very naive.

Pollo is right... it's all about the connections. Meet as many people as you can, and try to network as fast as you can. With strong Spanish and English, there should be a place for you somewhere. Try EVERYWHERE. Also, don't expect to get paid what you would make back home... it's gonna' be less... a LOT less.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
First of all hi everybody, I'm so happy I had the chance to have a life experience in this amazing country.
I moved to Punta Cana few days ago to follow my girlfriend as she works in one of the many resorts here in the area. I'm trying to find a job too but it's getting so pretty hard. Before coming I thought it would have been not so difficult as I speak Spanish too and I work as well in the hospitality industry, but until now all the hotels and resorts I've visited keep telling me there are no available positions.
So, I'm just wondering, is possible to find an occupation here? Maybe I've come in the wrong period? I'm starting to be worried because if I don't find anything within the next weeks I have to leave the Country. Is there anybody here that can give me some tip? Have you experienced the same problem?

Thanks a lot in advance

Are you legally allowed to work in this country?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is more to the area than hotels and resorts, but it depends on whether your qualifications, skills and experience can be transferred to another sector. e.g. The Centro Mac in Plaza Paseo San Juan was looking for someone, I saw an ad last week.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
a thought just struck me... IKEA is relatively new in the neighborhood... and growing. The few times I've purchased there, language has been a hurdle. They have a growing gringo clientele, and while we struggled along and I got what I needed with my limited Spanish and their limited English... someone bilingual would have been a big help. Just one thought... but you can parlay that to ANY kind of business which might profit from having someone fluent in both languages.