Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. slams the country?s planned coal plant

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
[h=2]Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. slams the country?s planned coal plant[/h]
Santo Domingo.- Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., environmental activist, diver and who knows the Caribbean, says energy is the Antillean archipelago?s most pressing environmental problem, ?somewhat ironic when you consider that they have the world?s best energy; solar and wind.?
Interviewed by listin.com.do, the member of the famous U.S. family of politicians warns that hoarding by ?multinational corporations of the best coastal land and thus access to the beaches, the sea, the wind ?is isolating the inhabitants in the center.?
Kennedy is slated to dictate on Thursday the lecture ?Our Environmental Future? at the ?Green Revolution? hosted by Logrosa and Markatel, with the support of DMK, ECORED, Rizek Cacao Group, CEPM, CESPM and Listin Diario.
Coal or solar
The environmentalist doesn?t understand how Dominican Republic can spend money on coal, as announced by the government, before making a commitment to renewable energy. ?Coal is a dirty fuel that apart from being a threat to public and global health and binds the country to a relationship of dependence on other nations to import energy.?
Kennedy?s statement is in reference to Energy czar Ruben Bichara?s recent announcement of a deal with the U.S. based power company AES Corp, to build a coal-fired plant in Haina, near the Dominican capital.
Source: DT

May 12, 2005
If he doesn't like it, let him put his checkbook where is mouth is. Pay for a "green energy" plant out of his own pocket. Otherwise STFU and mind your own business.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
WOW. ! The article says he is a diver as well. They could have used him a few years ago in Chappaquiddick.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Remember: the Kennedy's got the wind farm off the coast of MA (Martha's Vineyard) killed several years ago because they didn't want their view spoiled...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
When has the DR gov ever been overly concerned about the air quality or for that matter the Environment as a whole. They are going to go with the least expensive option to generate electricity. Should they invest in solar and wind? Yes without a doubt but that is a possibility down the road. For the present the DR will do what it has always done and use traditional methods. Kennedy can rant all he wants, this is not the USA. Perhaps he ought to come to SD to meet with members of the gov to talk face to face. It is very easy to make a statement to the media, back it up with action.

LTSteve

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
When has the DR gov ever been overly concerned about the air quality or for that matter the Environment as a whole.

LTSteve
I read somewhere that the DR has the largest % of it's land dedicated to national parks and reserves that can never be developed than any country on the planet.

That shows some concern.

It's a poor country. As one Dominican environmentalist confided in me out of frustration: "Environmentalism is the domain of the wealthy..."

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Solar and Wind are not enough to fuel any nation. If the technology was there countries like Germany would be off of fossil fuel.
The Kennedys should worry about keeping thier kids off of drugs and booze and keeping their pants zipped.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Solar and Wind are not enough to fuel any nation. If the technology was there countries like Germany would be off of fossil fuel.
The Kennedys should worry about keeping thier kids off of drugs and booze and keeping their pants zipped.

He should concentrate on the two plus billion metric tons of CO2 emissions that the USA emits from coal plants.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have said this before but how about garbage burning steam generating turbine electricity. As we all know, there is plenty of garbage in the DR. This would create an incentive for people to clean up garbage and bring it to the plant.

LTSteve

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
He should concentrate on the two plus billion metric tons of CO2 emissions that the USA emits from coal plants.
Or the massive volume of hot air his family has produced the last century...that alone, eliminated, could plunge the world into an Ice Age.

Wanna bet he flew down in a private jet?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be Nice!,"RFKjr". is still in mourning for his best "Bud" Hugo Chavez.
Kennedy has a "Corporation" in Boston that gets "Free Oil", not "Cheese" from "CITGO", Venezuela's oill dealer in the USA.
I would love to know how much he "pockets" from that deal?????
What a big surprise, he "Like's Free Oil", and is against The DR using American coal!
"WTF"???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 5, 2007
Be Nice!,"RFKjr". is still in mourning for his best "Bud" Hugo Chavez.
Kennedy has a "Corporation" in Boston that gets "Free Oil", not "Cheese" from "CITGO", Venezuela's oill dealer in the USA.
I would love to know how much he "pockets" from that deal?????
What a big surprise, he "Like's Free Oil", and is against The DR using American coal!
"WTF"???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CC, are you sure that isn't Joseph Kennedy II you are talking about?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I read somewhere that the DR has the largest % of it's land dedicated to national parks and reserves that can never be developed than any country on the planet.

That shows some concern.

It's a poor country. As one Dominican environmentalist confided in me out of frustration: "Environmentalism is the domain of the wealthy..."

And the LEFTIES.