bringing a car as a part of the residency package

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am totally out of touch with this so excuse me if my question is super dumb.

the time has come to sell my little honda capa and get something bigger and better. i've had residency for years and i never used this option of bringing a container of something free of aduanas (otherwise i'd have all nivea cream i could ever need).

could i still bring something? or, to be more precise, a car? granted, i do not have a car. i would have to actually buy it (in the USA). but i am pretty much sure i need to own the car i decide to import for a while, correct?

and i do not even know if i could bring a container of anything from any other place than the country of my previous residence (UK or PL).

can anyone tell me how things stand at the moment?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think you have to have owned it for at least a year. Then you have a limited amount of time from the date of your cedula to bring it in (6 months?)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You had to do it at the proper time when you first obtained residency and you had to own it for a year outside of the DR. You are no longer eligible. Sorry.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok. this is exactly what i thought. we'll have to bring it over with normal channels unless we'll find a good deal in DR. i will let you guys know how it went if we ship it over here.
i am to have a much bigger car too :( already worried about driving it... from capa to jeepeta is a long way...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You had to do it at the proper time when you first obtained residency and you had to own it for a year outside of the DR. You are no longer eligible. Sorry.

not only did you have to have owned it, but it had to have been registered with the DMV for a year before you decided to export it. besides, the window to import on the basis of mudanza has long since closed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks for all the responses. i will keep you posted if we decide to ship it. should be fun, non?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
thanks for all the responses. i will keep you posted if we decide to ship it. should be fun, non?

Most of those that have done so, even using the residency reduced duty approach, have regretted it.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Buy the car in the DR. By the time you have paid to go to the US and find a car, arrange shipment and pay duty you won't be any further ahead. Don't buy a new car. Find one through a private owner that has been well taken care off.

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Buy the car in the DR. By the time you have paid to go to the US and find a car, arrange shipment and pay duty you won't be any further ahead. Don't buy a new car. Find one through a private owner that has been well taken care off.

LTSteve

that is as good as advice can get

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Most of those that have done so, even using the residency reduced duty approach, have regretted it.

Not me , Windy.... my wife and I did the residency together.
If I could, I would make 2 separate applications....

and I would bring 2 cars.

I'm very happy with my car here.... $2,000 in taxes if I recall.
2005 Jeep Wrangler valued at $18,000........ January 2009 importation.

Its nice to have your own car- more of a comfort than buying used here.... I've done both.

However, if you're just buying used anywhere (RD or US), then - yes, buy here
Waaay less hassle and time

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not me , Windy.... my wife and I did the residency together.
If I could, I would make 2 separate applications....

and I would bring 2 cars.

We're thinking of doing just that WW. Mr. AE can bring any car, I don't think he has to own it a year, using the 'returning Dominican' law. Then later when I get my residency or my citizenship [more likely], I can bring another.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's the way to do it.

After a year or so, have the other spouse apply.... and do the import thing all over again

A year after my container, I had a list as long as my leg for things I 'shoulda, coulda, woulda' brought.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We're thinking of doing just that WW. Mr. AE can bring any car, I don't think he has to own it a year, using the 'returning Dominican' law. Then later when I get my residency or my citizenship [more likely], I can bring another.

If you do import cars, must make sure the models you import have parts available for them locally.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have not seen the Toyota Venza here, is it sold here? There is one listed on supercarros, which makes me think it was imported from the US. You may become an expert at importing auto parts.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have not seen the Toyota Venza here, is it sold here? There is one listed on supercarros, which makes me think it was imported from the US. You may become an expert at importing auto parts.

I think Toyota makes the Venza only in the US, so I presume any in DR came from there. Parts shouldn't be a problem, from what we are told it uses Camry parts. Some call it a Camry Wagon. I've been told it is also very similar to the Lexus RX350, just about 3" lower and $10,000 cheaper base price. We drove Mr. AE's cousin's RX350 for this past month in DR, and I agree - the same car, just a lot more extras in the RX350 interior.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that my FIL still has a license to import vehicles from USA (he had a car business for a while) so we may use that route. miesposo is thinking about tucson. i do not get to drive large cars often. it will be a challenge for me, at least at the beginning. sometimes i ride our highlander but it is quite stressful, i cannot see well and i am not sure about dimensions of the car so in the city i tend to drive it slowly...