Global Entry - Nexus - Trusted Traveler

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
I got my Global Entry card about a year and half ago and my TSA precheck invite from Delta a couple of months after that. Takes me a couple of minutes to get through security in Atlanta and about 5 minutes to get through customs in Atlanta on my back. I can't say enough good things about the program especially if you live your life on planes. :classic:

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
The one downfall is if you live away far from one of the airports that do the pre-screening. I would love to get my card as I come down 1-2 times a month, but I am 6 hours from my house to the nearest screener. Other than that it looks like a great program.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
The one downfall is if you live away far from one of the airports that do the pre-screening. I would love to get my card as I come down 1-2 times a month, but I am 6 hours from my house to the nearest screener. Other than that it looks like a great program.

Do it in conjunction with a trip. Just get to the airport an hour or two earlier then you normally would. That's what I did.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Completely agree...best 100 USD I've ever spent. Has saved me tons of time and aggravation. Last week for the first time since I have the card I got sent to the customs inspection area,, but even there it was simpler than other people. Basically just scanned my luggage and on my way I went.

Just be very careful once you have it, as any small violation (i.e. not declaring some duty free stuff) will invalidate your card.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't kid yourself..... they're watching now.

Here's one..... my Cdn friend was sent to Maryland to run Clubhouse foods..... applies for his drivers license....

They pull him inside to "talk"..... Sir, are you sure you have no outstanding charges against you? Definitely not - I'm positive.

Think again, sir...... Vermont.

Well, my friend used to shortcut thru Vermont on his way to the Cdn east college he attended.
In his senior year (about 1967/8) he got a speeding ticket - which he ignored figuring he'd never see Vermont again after graduation.

Remember - this is before computers - he could have not been licensed over this but they let him go.

When immigration talked to my Cdn BIL one time - questioning his overstaying in the US - they referenced his sister (my wife) as a US resident..... they knew his family tree.

They know more than you think - and certainly more than you want them to know.

The NEXUS/Global Entry Program is growing in popularity and the gov't encourages enrolment to maintain or to reduce current border staffing levels

Took my daughter an hour in line y'day at JFK returning from RD..... she applied this morning to NEXUS

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
It's not only great for immigration - especially if you have to fly through Miami, but you have a preferential treatment line at most airports for security so you don't have to stand in line with the cattle!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It will be the way of the future as the gov't tries to control their labor costs and to improve travel/border efficiency.

Beware ---- not everybody gets approved.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
It's not only great for immigration - especially if you have to fly through Miami, but you have a preferential treatment line at most airports for security so you don't have to stand in line with the cattle!

Not only Miami, but Atlanta can be a nightmare coming back from an international trip. Now I just walk up to the kiosk, scan my fingerprints, get the printout, and walk out. Literally takes longer to walk from the plane to the kiosk then it does to g o through customs now. Put that in conjunction with TSA Precheck and now I don't dread the airport in Atlanta anymore. The worst part about traveling for me is the 45 minute drive to and from the airport. :)