No solution to electricity problem - Imbeciles are in charge.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
[h=3]The Dominican Electricity Industry Association (ADIE) says that the government has an accumulated debt of over US$760 million with the electricity generators, which is why the sector is certain to experience problems with its suppliers.[/h]
ADIE has no hopes that the authorities will pay what they owe, as the last time they discussed this, in October, the government just mentioned making big investments in the electricity generating sector.

Otto Gonzalez and Milton Morrison, president and executive director of ADIE, as well as Marcelo Aircardi, financial vice president of EgeHaina, and German del Toro, from AES Dominicana, complained about the lack of transparency within the electricity distribution companies and said that in order to solve the problems there needed to be a global investment of between US$8 to 10 billion, including distribution, transmission and generation.

Gonzalez said that all sides needed to agree, and that the electricity law was not being adhered to neither with the tariffs nor the transmission and that the distribution of electricity needed a lot of resources and attention, just as the generation did.

He said that it was correct to lower the cost of generation but that it was cheaper now than before and yet the problems of the sector had not been resolved. If the distribution problems are not resolved, and they are in debt and received subsidies, it did not matter how low the cost of generation was.

www.diariolibre.com/economia/2013/04/18/i379700_generadores-quejan-por-deuda-del-gobierno-que-supera-los-us760-millones.html

[h=3]North suffers most with blackouts[/h] In the last four days the blackouts affecting the country have worsened with a fifth of the energy system affected, and this has led to protests all over the country.

Yesterday, Wednesday 17 April, it was estimated the deficit was 17%, and according to the Electricity Superintendence, Monday, 15 April was the worst day when there was a deficit of 21%.

The northern region has been the area worse affected with longer blackouts, and only 368 megawatts produced over the last four days, whereas in the east it was 894, and the south 591.

www.diariolibre.com/economia/2013/04/18/i379683_apagones-incrementan-esta-semana.html

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Santo Domingo.- A US$10.0 billion investment is what it’ll take to solve the country’s electrical problem, said the CEO of the State-owned electric utility (CDEEE) Ruben Jimenez Bichara Thursday, just hours after the power companies grouped in the ADIE demanded payment of a US$750 debt in arrears.
He said US$1.2 billion are needed just on the power lines and transformers of the grid, "which should’ve been changed more than 50 years ago."
Jimenez Bichara said it’s time to design a comprehensive plan with all the sector actors: private power companies, government and a mixed sector.
The official also revealed that an American power company, “with more than 100 years of experience,” will enter the market with a gas-fired power plant. He didn’t specify the name or place where the company plans to install its plant, but mentioned the port of Manzanillo as a site to build a gas fired facility.
Speaking on Hoy Mismo Channel 9, Bichara Jimenez added that the country will need to install around 1,451 megawatts in the next four years, to satisfy a demand of around 2,200 megawatts at night.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...-needs-a-US100B-energy-fix-top-official-warns

The government made a huge mistake taking over the distribution companies and now there is no way clear of the mess they made.

Santo Domingo.- The government owes the power companies more than US$760 million in arrears, for which the sector affirms it started having problems with suppliers.
The country’s power companies ADIE on Wednesday said it doesn’t know when the government will pay the debt since the last talks were in October.
ADIE president Otto Gonzalez and senior executives of the power companies AES Dominicana and EGE-Haina also complained of lack of transparency by the electricity distribution companies (Edes).
They denied having reached any electricity agreement with their sector, as has been reported, and Gonzalez noted that any such pact has to be comprehensive and involve all actors.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When you are giving away electricity to close to a million people, and you want the rest of the customers to pay for it at outrageous prices, of course the service will be poor. Fraud, with illegal connections, and big players avoiding payment all together make things worse. Barrios where pay-as-you-go meters were installed have been a success, but the CDEEE does not have the capital to do this for everyone.

Anyone want to count the CDEEE/Ede employees?

No easy solution that might be politically viable.

Get ready for more blackouts...

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When you are giving away electricity to close to a million people, and you want the rest of the customers to pay for it at outrageous prices, of course the service will be poor. Fraud, with illegal connections, and big players avoiding payment all together make things worse. Barrios where pay-as-you-go meters were installed have been a success, but the CDEEE does not have the capital to do this for everyone.

Anyone want to count the CDEEE/Ede employees?

No easy solution that might be politically viable.

Get ready for more blackouts...

HB

As I said, Imbeciles who are also ladrones are in charge.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I take it that your electrical, or lack of, is still an issue with you and I would guess with others as well according to your post.

For a few years we ALMOST had 24/7 at our place but the costs became outrageous when 24/7 was being delivered. (I STILL think I had the Gringo meter.) Knowing the past problems with people not paying; equipment getting old, not maintained and no money to upgrade. Cost of fuel and knowing that what is owed to anyone and everyone (US $760M. Does that include what is owned to Venezuela?) and NO way is someone going to come up with $10 B to start over.

The "Imbeciles" keep shooting themselves in the foot as far as the Country is concerned but I'll bet they got more Pesos then ... With the power problems goes the tourist industry, free trade manufacturing companies and construction that produces jobs and taxes.

I'm very surprised that the whole system has not just shut down!

I don't notice it very much (at all) being 95% solar. But I do worry about so many that DEPEND on electricity and don't know how to live without it. Depending on a Generator to live, work and keep batts charged is not a good option and would send the price of fuel due to supply and demand beyond being able to afford buying the fuel for most people.

We KNOW what the answer is but we are not in charge or have a vote.

I hope all are well but I think you should have a plan for BIG energy cuts.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Medina needs to solve this problem or risk looking like a leader who has no "power". Electricity is no longer a basic right, it is a must have in todays electronic world. I would rather pay a higher kilowatt per hour charge than not have electricity all together. On the Samana Peninsula we have a private electric company and no blackouts. The government needs to get out of the electricity business and leave it to a more effecient and profit driven private sector.

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There IS, a fast, effective, and cheap solution to this historical problem!
Make EVERYONE pay for what they consume!!!!!!
We all know that no DR government will EVER do that!
They not only do not have the "BALLS" for that, they use their control of the electricity system to their economic and political gain.
Today, "Flush" will a BILLION US DOLLARS in their pockets,(Borrowed money!) they are proudly proclaiming that they don't have to let the "IMF", or any outside entities dictate how they run the DR economy!
I can tell you exactly WHERE they are "Running" it.
In To The TOILET!!!!
Save US Dollars, IF, you have any left after paying your, soon to increase, electric bill!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i cannot complain. we have an inversor and after 12 hours with no power we switch off the water pump and open the gate by hand to save the charge and make our 8 batteries last 24 hours. in four years in costambar only once we had a blackout long enough to drain batteries and leave us in complete darkness. for five minutes, literally, because street power cam back.
our two next door neighbours have generators and in case of a major problem we can all chip in for petrol to keep going.

we've been thinking about going solar but the quote from the company we contacted about it was just too high. still, there is hope, as you can bring your equipment yourself. i believe there is some sort of government system in play with free taxes/aduanas. so maybe, maybe, one day we will go solar. we have a perfect roof for this.