Where to eat in Cabarete

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Go to Ocean Dream Plaza, you have Sushi next to upscale Caribbean food, next to Gorditos (California-Tex-Mex)--fresh Dorado Tacos & Burritos, next to Indian food. All of them are next to each other in one plaza.

FRank

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We passed by ocean dream plaza but end up in casita de papi ( there now).

But I'll keep the suggestions for tomorrow! Thanks!

Any place here to rent a movie?

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Uh-oh, its the pizza debate again!

My favorite places in Cab:
Pomodoro's and Ahorita for italian (though Ahorita is moving to a smaller menu for the summer)
Casa Mami...great menu del dia
Mojito's (when its working properly)
Papi's for langostinos (when someone else is paying)
El Caminante in Islabon for langostinos (when im paying!)
Gorditos...always excellent
The Chinese for a plate of noodles
Brasero does nice fish
Ali's surf camp...though this seems to have declined in quality a bit of late
La Ruta (past the police station...we call it La Puta :)....for great dominican food

Er, thats about it

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would add Los Locos d'Enfrente and Bayerischerhoff to the list.

The German restaurant you mentioned is really good. Actually the chief cook and owner is Ricardo, who is Swiss. I can't spell the name either, but it is a right turn at the Claro tower and on your left. :knockedou

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The German restaurant you mentioned is really good. Actually the chief cook and owner is Ricardo, who is Swiss. I can't spell the name either, but it is a right turn at the Claro tower and on your left. :knockedou

Yes, that is the place and Bayerischer Hof is the name. Been going there for years. The employee chef with no hair is especially good.

Jan 17, 2009
I would add Los Locos d'Enfrente and Bayerischerhoff to the list.

I hear Los Locos d'Enfrente, which was my favorite restaurant when in the mood for a good hamburger, is closed now Tuesday and Wednesdays, and all other days closes at 6pm. No more barbecue/grill either.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
There is also a little bar / restaurant between La Otra Cosa and Janet's supermarket adjacent to Vellero Hotel. The food is good (and the waitresses are hot) afterwards you can walk next door to the restaurant in the Vellero for desert. The restaurant is right on the water, awesome view.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
There is also a little bar / restaurant between La Otra Cosa and Janet's supermarket adjacent to Vellero Hotel. The food is good (and the waitresses are hot) afterwards you can walk next door to the restaurant in the Vellero for desert. The restaurant is right on the water, awesome view.

Paul, are you're talking about the Rincon Latino? I

f so, that's a thinly disguised whore bar... nice for some if you like that sort of thing; but hardly a family/business venue..

May 20, 2012
Go to Ocean Dream Plaza, you have Sushi next to upscale Caribbean food, next to Gorditos (California-Tex-Mex)--fresh Dorado Tacos & Burritos, next to Indian food. All of them are next to each other in one plaza.

FRank
Yes, Frank, it's a Caribbean "Restaurant Row" and it's brilliant! I think there is another empty space. Maybe an American Diner idea but spelled and executed correctly w fried chicken, cheeseburgers, real milk shakes, homemade pie, etc?

Back to OP question: Maraja has excellent, consistent service and food at reasonable prices with good sized portions. It's location directly on the beach, with inside and outside dining makes it one of our favorites.

Also has secure off street parking and fewer beach vendors. There is a nice pool too, but don't know if restaurant patrons can use it.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If you want to spend some money try La Otra Cosa, classic French cuisine on the beach behind Janet's supermarket.

Laten rollen die pesos!
We doubted last night between La Otra Cosa and the Beach Club of Seahorse Ranch. Based on tripadvisor reviews that several people spend 300 bucks for two people at La Otra Cosa we decided for Seahorse Range. That was a mistake. Excellent service but no good food.

After 7 years living in DR (with a 5 year intermezzo) this is the first time I'm spending time on the north coast. I always had a bad impression of Sosua / Cabarete / Purrto Plata, but it's not bad at all. I can imagine expats / pensionados living here don't like coming to Santo Domingo.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
We doubted last night between La Otra Cosa and the Beach Club of Seahorse Ranch. Based on tripadvisor reviews that several people spend 300 bucks for two people at La Otra Cosa we decided for Seahorse Range. That was a mistake. Excellent service but no good food.

After 7 years living in DR (with a 5 year intermezzo) this is the first time I'm spending time on the north coast. I always had a bad impression of Sosua / Cabarete / Purrto Plata, but it's not bad at all. I can imagine expats / pensionados living here don't like coming to Santo Domingo.

So what did you have at the Beach Club in SHR; it is one of my favourite restaurants as I love the view and I always get great food?

What did you not like about the food?
The taste, the way it was prepared, who was your server...

La Otro Cosa is pricey yes, but I never spend more than DR$ 6,000 for two persons, with a very moderate alcohol intake and a starter, main and a dessert.

There are ways of spending more than that, but they would involve real truffles, real champagne, real cognac and the like..

HIRAM

Mar 19, 2005

You can try BLISS,entrada callejon de la loma, it?s not bad at all. Here in the DR we have to use other standards about dining and restaurants. Dining should be a whole experience, an experience that is absent here.
- I live here now for 10 years, in the cibao. -
Buen provecho.