Upgrade Planned For North Coast Beaches

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]The Tourism Minister, Mr Francisco Javier Garc?a announced that a team of architects is preparing proposals to improve the infrastructure of the beaches of the province of Puerto Plata. These beaches are in Maim?n, La Ensenada, Sos?a, Puerto Plata and Cabarete.[/h] [h=5]Minister wants to improve the beaches[/h]
[h=5]The intention is that the sometimes rickety 'casetas' disappear and that entrepreneurs can rent a business space in new to build 'plazas'. Furthermore, there should be constructed toilets, parking lots and drinking water supplies. There will also be stricter control on the hygienic preparation of food and drinks and noise nuisance will be better controlled. The Deputy Minister for the North Coast, Mr C?sar Jos? de los Santos said the entrepreneurs af the various beaches reacted positively to the plans and want to cooperate. With these measures, the north coast will be more attractive and safer for the beach visitor.[/h]

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The vendors at Sosua beach reacted favorably? Can anyone confirm this?

It could be. I know years ago when there was a similar upgrade planned for Cayo Levantado, the vendors were cooperative, which was a surprise.

It depends, I think, on whether they see the plan as a way to get them off the beach or to help them improve business. It sounds like what is proposed here is not a threat to their business.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The intention is that the sometimes rickety 'casetas' disappear and that entrepreneurs can rent a business space in new to build 'plazas'.

It sounds like what is proposed here is not a threat to their business.

If they touch any of the casetas on Sosua Beach there will be a few tires burned, you that Ken!

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
The Playa Grande beach was "cleaned up" in this manner. The casita's were moved down to the other end of the beach, fewer of them built, and real toilet facilities were installed. They also built a small parking lot for about 50 cars. It reminds me a lot of Disneyland. :(

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Time will tell, but I am optimistic. Especially since the new North Coast Tourism Director is involved. To be
successful, he must have the cooperation of all segments of the tourism industry on the North Coast, and that includes the vendors on Sosua Beach.

I do not see him turning the Sosua Beach vendors against him and cause them to burn tires and in other ways show their displeasure. Alienating the vendors is definitely not to his benefit. I tend to think that the vendors will be included in the planning and that the change, whatever it is, will be made with their cooperation.

I am more concerned that the beach may be made too sterile. I find the rickety casitas rather charming.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Playa Grande project was private enterprise..... the parking will double shortly.

It seems to me, from my conversations,(as recently as yesterday) that every single vendor/chef is happy with the new situation.... more business and better working conditions.

I, too, like the old shacks better, but.........

That was a costly conversion - more than a million $$US.... but that included significant storm sewer work.

The new shacks are designed to keep an island flavor..... some like it, some don't.

The important factor is that the vendors are doing better and are happier..... IMO.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
I am more concerned that the beach may be made too sterile. I find the rickety casitas rather charming.

Yeah, They will tear down the casitas and build new ones that look like the old ones to "preserve" the local island flavor. Do you see the irony here? Pretty soon it will look like "Punta Cana North". YUK!

bob

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I think it is charming the way it is. There is an adequate parking lot. And the toilets are plentiful and clean. I wonder what their view of "more attractive" is. It would be nice to see a plan.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
but it is good? new casitas will be cleaner, better and they will last longer. i am all for it. but mostly for toilets and showers, please.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
but it is good? new casitas will be cleaner, better and they will last longer. i am all for it. but mostly for toilets and showers, please.

True, Deviate

One important plus to the new system is that the shacks now have power (PG had no electric, prior)
Colder beer, safer food storage....

toilets/showers are still clean - so far... a few months in to the new world... December it opened if I recall

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]The Tourism Minister, Mr Francisco Javier Garc?a announced that a team of architects is preparing proposals to improve the infrastructure of the beaches of the province of Puerto Plata. These beaches are in Maim?n, La Ensenada, Sos?a, Puerto Plata and Cabarete.[/h] [h=5]Minister wants to improve the beaches[/h]
[h=5]The intention is that the sometimes rickety 'casetas' disappear and that entrepreneurs can rent a business space in new to build 'plazas'. Furthermore, there should be constructed toilets, parking lots and drinking water supplies. There will also be stricter control on the hygienic preparation of food and drinks and noise nuisance will be better controlled. The Deputy Minister for the North Coast, Mr C?sar Jos? de los Santos said the entrepreneurs af the various beaches reacted positively to the plans and want to cooperate. With these measures, the north coast will be more attractive and safer for the beach visitor.[/h]

The question was asked a few days ago about about who the No Coast Tourism Minister worked for - if anybody.

Its the man above,,, the quoted man wearing the square shirt tail.... Garcia, I think he's the big shot in the country.
Front row, second from right....don't count the second row man.

He spoke at the Aman Hotel announcement......
Was he Danilo's bag man?