Vehicle Homicide in Santiago - un cuento muy trsite, pero VERDAD !!

N

njrocco

Hola I am a first time poster on DR1. My brother and I (Americans) have read and used this site for much useful info and also amusement over the past decade. We made our 1st trip to the DR in 2002, and were hooked..for life,,,,,mainly the great weather, killer beaches,,,food,music,, and of course mujeres linda. My brother gave up the States and moved to Santiago ( found employment as a chiropractor) in 2004...paradiso,,the hero of me and all the other poor souls trapped in the great North American rat race ( our male amigos). I visited him and my novias every 6mths and in the summer work permitting he would visit the States. Eventually against Hillbilly's Golden Rules I fell in love with a very attractive Santiaguera , got the coveted K-1 Visa, married in the States 5 yrs ago. My brother was dating her sister before. Good people, nice family. ..........On Feb. 25th my wife and I flew to Santiago where my brother was to meet us for lunch @ family's casa...as he did not return my last few e-mails nor phone calls before my arrival I was "concerned". After several hrs. I KNEW something was wrong. My cunado drove my wife and I to his apt...up Juan Pablo Duarte...Calle Mexico directly across from the supermercado Tesero....Landlord and fellow in other apt. didn't see "Pedro" in 10 days or so....checked his apt..bed made...everything orderly...suitcase, muchila in closet...Cell phone on dresser....Went to Police Station...not sure,,around los Jardines ?? They know nada...no report of a missing/deceased gringo...we filed missing persons report. Next day first thing found a Dominican who "knew some police, had connections, etc."..for un poco dinero of course....Back to the Police= nada....Oficina de Transito by the Fortaleza/Zona Colonial=nada...Public Hospital ( Maria Cabral/Baez)=nada...finally arrived @ the Autopsy/Forensic building next to the Semma ? Hospital on calle San Luis Bono? where my wife,cunado and "helper" went inside to speak with one of the Dr's. After 15min. my wife exits in tears and informs me that mi hermano lindo, PEDRO es MUERTE....as it was about 85F in the sun @ high noon, that declaration didn't set too well with me...but Maria y Neno saw the autopsy fotos, his tattoo, ropas fina....no it was he, no doubt..... death by accidente de vehiculo......NO WAY!!! YO NO CREO..ES IMPOSIBLE !!! Because this is my first time posting and I'm not sure how long I can ramble on ( sorry I also don't know how to indent to start a new paragragh) this will be all for now. I would like to continue this story from this point on , say, manana...because it gets REALLY sad, futile, sickening,,,,FRUSTRATING !!!!! goodnite, ,, nyrocco

Pablo29

Mar 23, 2013
Sorry for your loss. May God gives you and your family the strength to overcome the situation.

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Oh my so sorry...check everything here in dr anything is possible. condoleances.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
check and double check again: bring in some stuff from his home or provide own DNA sample and make sure it was him. i also suggest you run his name against searches in dominican newspapers, they usually print stories about accidents, especially involving foreigners. it is worth to be sure...

my condolences. it is a tragic story. contact american embassy for help in case you need it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What a tragedy, my condolences to you and your family.

dv8 has offered some good advice, please keep us posted as to what you learn.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Very sorry to hear this! My most heartfelt condolences. Do you have any more information as to where this happened?

HB

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
Cuento triste indeed.

At least it sounds like you can have the consolation that he had a good life and fulfilled some of his dreams in paradise (if it is he).

May he rest in peace.

N

njrocco

Vehicular Homicide in Santiago... an update from njrocco

This is njrocco continuing with the Vehicular Homicide story that happened in Santiago involving my brother. First of all thankyou all for the kind words, they are appreciated. I am new at this,,I just wrote another semi-detailed account continuing my story with more details. I think it got "lost"...I submitted it but I don't see it..hmmmm.As this box sez quick reply I don't know how much I can write. I basically summed up the 3 days after I was informed by INACIF ( forensic /autopsy office) of my brothers death by motor vehicle. The accident happened on Sat Feb 9th around 11pm @ Calle Las Carreras y R. Cesar Telentino during el Carnival...Pedro crossed the calle from THE ONE WAY BAR and was struck by what witnesses say was a larger White SUV possible Toyota Prada..GOING THE WRONG WAY with 3 occupants...SUV skidded , turned around and split..no one got the plate..the POLICE showed up and LEFT !!!!! No Police report exists...only the BOMBEROS report which lets just say.. is not the quality , or fact-filled report I would expect concerning the death of a person from a HIT & RUN HOMICIDE...depending who you speak with @ the Bomberos.. my brother was killed instantly ( after which he was robbed lying in the calle),,was DOA,,,or died in Maria Cabral y Baez hospital....the time of the accident/death also varies depending on who tells the story = very very frustrating....I've seen seagulls hit on the street here in Atlantic City,NJ warrant more care/attention. From the day I was informed of my brother's death my wife, her brother and I literally spend 16 days in Santiago going from one agency/person to another IN CIRCLES...The US Embassy knows the deal...hey,,"you're in the DR, don't expect much"...My brother and I knew/know the deal ...semi-paradise...less constraints and all those silly nuisance laws that they constantly beat you over the head with in the States...however....when you on occasion...and this is one suck occasion, need some LAW,,,,guess what...in the DR THERE IS NO LAW !!!! dig it ! BUT...this is my brother...my MAIN MAN !!!! We were extremly close always and I couldn't/won't just let him go without at least trying to get to the bottom of what happened. I have been back in the States since Mar 13th, my cunado from Santiago has been hittin the bricks most days since....speaking with bartenders @ The One Way Bar...the chicas across the calele were the accident actually happened...there is a sign/bar that sez Felo's Super Fria above the driveway...and a small bar in the back of the drive...the girls witnessed the accident right @ the curb where the yellow metal trash barrell and cement pole with the Plaza Lama sign on top....They say the Police came or were there ( it was carnival time on a Sat eve. Feb 9th) and either depending who you speak with..saw the driver....took a bribe...either way said.." wait for the Bomberos to pick him up"... depending on WHICH Bombero you speak with + different story as too victims condition...@ the hospital..which I understand is a PUBLIC one..we visited it 3x....no record from emergency room or attending physicians of my brothers arrival....but a Police official there did have an entry in a notebook that my brother arrived DOA @ 1am. Witnesses on the calle say the Bomberos transported him to the hospital @ 11-11:30pm...hmmm...close enough I guess, what's all the fuss?? These gringos are real sticklers for the details,no? relajar, no problema!!!Well in my neck off the woods it's called MURDER by AUTO....people go to jail for 5-10yrs for this crime...I've been told that certain people know the driver and the other 2 passengers, no doubt..the driver has 2-3 cars is an older person and lives in los gurabos,,,$$$$$,,yeah that sounds bout right,no..maybe he spoke with the cops...hey, make show you make my next BBQ, gonna be a blast..later...Also looked for video cameras in the vacinity of Las Carreras y Tolentino...the Cambio..think its Guzman"s ( my wife knew the owner from school or something....didn't speak with him..) they have camera...but no view of street?....then my cunado sez he saw the chica inside the cambio looking at monitors that clearly were focused on the calle....he went to the local or a local Santiago TV station...seems there was video footage from a reporter covering the carnival....they had the accident on tape....well....they had to byrn a disc...for a price of course..$600...$300...how bout...oh...no tape exists....then there's Jose Gutierrez the Santiago Radio/TV host...seems he's all about seeking JUSTICE...my cunado spoke with him..re: some exposure concerning my brothers accident...Jose has some "juice"/connections....looked good...fizzled...he's wants $$....so as off now I'm going back and forth with the Embassy and INACIF to obtain the toxicolgy results from my brothers autopsy...one month ago it was 1-2 more days...Sat eve..Carnival season...my brothers @ the ONE WAY BAR ( we had drunk there a few times on past trips.. for a quick one..) yeah I believe

N

njrocco

Pardon me, njrocco here again...having my problems here writing/posting about my brothers accident...maybe I should get my 14yr. old daughter to help me.. I had all spelling errors corrected ( I'm not this fried usually) and the text was longer..it didn't end with ...yeah I believe...anyway, basically my family has been living/trying to cope/ find some answers as to what really occured on calle Las Carreras y R. Cesar Tolentino on the eve of Sat. Feb 9 around 11am. Someone got away with murder in my mind and knowing that true JUSTICE may never be served is a real bummer... my brother was a GREAT, FUN-LOVING guy...what a horrible way to go. As of now we're just going in circles. People have video tape,,there is no tape. We get a good lead,,,and boom it's nada. I'm basically grateful that we visited the DR when we did , were able to claim my brothers body, have him cremated as to his wishes and bring his ashes home. In the summer on his b-day some ashes will be scattered out in the ocean in front of our house via the kayak that he loved. Also in the future I will visit our fav playas in the DR: Preciosa, Rincon, Fronton, Madama, Sosua and do the same. My cunada did the same with a little around the Monumento area where Pedro would go to exercise and walk/run "the steps". As my brother used to rabidly read and discuss the latest posts/topics on DR1 comparing notes as to what Marco/Rocky (used to like talkin to him and checking out his computer @ Rocky's) sez, AZB's gringo guide to Santiagueras ( forget it rubes, you don't have a chance,,go to Boca Chica !!Ha!), AZB's always sage advise ( if I only followed it more,,,I'd have been more lonely BUT now richer $$$..He he),and all of the other interesting, helpful members were discussing, I always thought my 1st post would be a Trip Report of a past great visit to the DR...who knew? La Vida es corta, es verdad....hey, in between all the horror/stress/tears , mi esposa and I did manage one eve to visit Casa Blanca to hear one of my favs, Raulin Rodriquez dedicate to me for my brother: Ay hombre, olvidarla es imposible, ay hombre para mi esto es terrible,,,,amen R.I.P. mi hermano lindo Peter Joseph Leonardis aka "Pedro" 7/15/1958 - 2/10/2013

N

njrocco

Sorry to ramble on...hey I work the graveyard shift...I least I stay AWAKE !!...speaking of the public hospital in Santiago; Jose Maria Cabral y Baez..my brother would only visit the clinic/hospital Union on Juan Pablo Duarte for his medical needs and we saw firsthand why...I pray my brother was indeed passed when he was admitted to Cabral y Baez...it simply is the most FILTHY, DIRTY hospital I've ever been inside of....if you had to go there with serious injuries or for a nose bleed for that matter, you would surely contract some sort of an infection or health threatening condition...DEPLORABLE CONDITIONS !!!.. My wife tells me they have no blood,,,no drugs ( family must go outside and purchase from farmacia) and that Pedro would have and maybe he did pass away outside in one of the filthy hallways on a filthy stretcher waiting for one of the harried over-matched medicos to attend him. Good luck trying to find someone responsible enough to obtain the medical records or the treatment that was rendered to a patient and who was the attending physician on Feb 9-10th, 2013

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
njrocco, so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm afraid this is an important reminder to those of us living hear and a necessary lesson for those thinking of moving here. It may be "paradise" but it can be a living hell as well.

Feb 15, 2005
Bro, sorry for your loss. If I was ****ed off as you are, I would just take out a HUGE ad in the paper, seeking information (reward) of a hit and run on such and such date describing the vehicle. Put in a bogus email account and leave it at that. No calls for the reward and no threats from anyone, just a shock to the perp. He now will constantly think someone is looking for him. The mind is one ****ed up thing, when it's in turmoil and worried.

Very discretely place a sign up outside the place, that a reward is being put up and say when the ad in the paper is being published. When the ad does come out, have someone go by and drop it off. Tell them to say "wow, ustedes vieron esto?", leave the paper and walk out.

What would this buy me you ask? Just letting the dude know that someone hasn't forgotten and that, in itself, will not allow the perp to be too forgetful, knowing someone else hasn't forgotten either.

Peace

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is nothing you can do in terms of justice. even if you were there to witness the accident and grabbed the sleeve of the driver, took his cedula and all his details. DR has a pretty straightforward system in place: if you cause a fatality in a vehicular accident you pay the rate (about a million pesos) to the family of the victim and you are free to go. if you cannot afford to pay up you may do a short stunt in prison but then you pay whatever you can to get out early. there is no other punishment here. occasionally a celebrity will be dragged around to the court because the family smells cash and they want more.

your are not likely to get any justice for this. you did all you could. at least you know what has happened. do not think about him being taken to the public hospital. it is always done as no one knows whether the person injured had any insurance or not. beware that a private hospital would chase you for paying the bill and trust me, even if your brother arrived already dead there would be a bill to pay.

your story may come as a small reminder to those here, who live in DR alone: to arrange for some things beforehand, have someone check on you, maintain in touch with the family so they get alerted if you stay quiet for too long.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
So sorry to hear what happenned to your brother and the ordeal that you and your family are going through right now. May he rest in peace!

vida

Mar 18, 2010
I am sorry for your loss. My advice, hire a lawyer to search the information for you. It is easier and less painful. Some money up front and more money if he finds the information you want. I never deal with unusual situations without a lawyer and the lawyer is hired by a Dominican with my money. I wish all the people who are eager to live here would read your story. The systems they may be familiar with in their home countries may not exist here. Words here do not signify the same things as the same words in countries like the USA. Police, firemen, hospitals, records, lawyers, etc..come to mind.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Like the others who have posted here I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. DV8 probably has posted the most accurate info to date here for you. Keep the good memories of your brother in your heart because that is the only thing you will have of him anymore. The story about no records in the hospital does not surprise me at all, especially if it's a public hospital. I've been to the ER of a private clinic here and writing out writing out a record much less checking out vital signs seems to be a missing part of health care here. I think persuing this further is just gonna cause you grief in the long run.

N

njrocco

njrocco here...just want to thank everyone for their input/advise...I agree that I must simply let it go, time will take the edge of the anger/pain/frustration I'm presently feeling...as was stated I have a lifetime of fantastic memories of the really great moments we shared juntos...every trip or visit we both made/had juntos in the DR was classic,,,aye yi yi,,,the things we did, the sites we saw,,,sensory overload....makes me smile and laugh. If I lived in Santiago I would pursue it mas...ie. big ad in paper..."gringo killed, hit & run...money-bag gringo hermano offers BIG $$$$$$ reward offered to rat out your drinkin buddy", etc,,,Ha! sounds like a reality show in the making....I can just imagine the STAMPEDE of people offering tips, the confessions of truth...I could probably rent a store front on Las Carreras next to the scene of the accident,,,or better yet operate out of a push cart on the calle...hmmmm.....yeah, that's it....anyway today my wife informed me that her brother in Santiago visited the public hospital AGAIN...and wait....the Police dude in the scurvy moldy office said.." oh, wait a minute,,,yeah,,,that's right...we have a video system in the emergency room of everyone one that arrives...it's filmed,,,yeah,,,I forgot to tell you this before".....OK,,,,great....let's check the tape and see what time REALLY the hit & run victim arrived......hmmmmmm, he sez,,,,"when was the accident?,,oh,,,Feb 9th-10th...the tape automatically erases/resets after a 2 month period"...,,"yeah and today is past 2 mths...yeah,,,lo siento"...darn !!! i HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS,,,,WE WERE ON TO SOMETHING, BIG !!!!!! yeah OK.....I'm actually laughing along with my departed brother Pedro now......I can just hear him saying......"COME ON ROC, LET IT GO,,,LOOK WHAT WE'RE DEALIN WITH HERE,,,,THEY"RE TOTALLY FRIED.....IT"S OVER.....PASS THE BRUGAL, I'M IN A GREAT PLACE UP HERE IN CIELO,,, I"LL SEE YA WHEN YA GET HERE,,,NO HURRY, I GOTTA GREAT BABE ALREADY PICKED OUT FOR YA,,IT"S GROOVEY MAN"..so thanks again for the support, kind words.....Hopefully one day when I get it together I'll post some fotos of some past trips/fotos of me and the love of my life ( mi hermano) kickin back in the good ole DR.. Adios ,,caio....p.s. TEN CUIDADO esp. cuando tu cruzar la calle.