Chartering a Yacht or small Aeroplane for inter island (Caribbean) transportation...

hueman

Jun 21, 2012
Good day, Guten Tag, Buenos Dias!
Does anybody have any info regarding possibilities and maybe even pricing etc. for chartering a Yacht or a small Aeroplane for a group of people to travel to another Caribbean Island and back?
We are hoping to go to St. Thomas in October with 10 Residents from the North Coast and are looking into ways of doing so. Obviously, Air tickets prices are outrageous therefore we are looking into alternative ways.
Any info or ideas greatly appreciated :)
Thanks!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
St. Thomas is quite a haul from the DR. A 10 passenger plane won't be cheap either. You might consider taking the ferry from SD to Puerta Rico and then look at alternate ways to get to ST.Thomas. Perhaps you could hitch a ride on a frieighter as deck hands.

LTSteve

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Puerto Plata to St. Thomas is roughly 400 miles. Since the prevailing winds would be against you, I assume you'd want a motor yacht, not sailing. That would be a pretty big vessel for a blue water passage. I'm not so familiar with motor vessels, so I don't know how long it would take, but it would be a while, I'm sure. Not cheap either... charter a vessel that size, plus gas??? Big bucks.

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
Hi LTSteve,
Do you know how or where I would find any up to date info - prices on round trip ferry service from Puerto Rico to SD. I did a yahoo search and also a search on DR1 but couldnt come up with anything that is recent or a current web page with pricing-reservations etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

May 5, 2007
Good day, Guten Tag, Buenos Dias!
Does anybody have any info regarding possibilities and maybe even pricing etc. for chartering a Yacht or a small Aeroplane for a group of people to travel to another Caribbean Island and back?
We are hoping to go to St. Thomas in October with 10 Residents from the North Coast and are looking into ways of doing so. Obviously, Air tickets prices are outrageous therefore we are looking into alternative ways.
Any info or ideas greatly appreciated :)
Thanks!

You should be able to charter a Beech or similar (9-10 passenger) turboprop out of San Juan for about 15-1900 each way. don't even consider a jet cost is prohibitive and not really any faster for the short trip

Only works out to $300-400 or so per person R/T and convenience of setting own schedule

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
i found few pages regarding air travel, renting a plane, to be precise. the cost is about 1800 dollars per hour, for jetstream capable of taking 10 people (and more)...
you can ask them for a quote:
AERODOMCA | Aeronaves Dominicanas, CxA
CARIBAIR :: Una diferencia del cielo a la tierra
SAP Group - Inicio

1800 per hour, to another island? From DR? Really? hmmmm. I called one of those companies (don't remember which one) 3 years ago with the question about charter flight to Montego Bay, Jamaica. I called them because I remember that I took charters from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas 7 years ago and the price was really cheap... so, I called them and the guy on the other end said that the charter from SD to Montego Bay will cost 25000 dollars on a small turboprop. I said no thanks and forgot about that idea.

May 5, 2007
You should be able to charter a Beech or similar (9-10 passenger) turboprop out of San Juan for about 15-1900 each way. don't even consider a jet cost is prohibitive and not really any faster for the short trip

Only works out to $300-400 or so per person R/T and convenience of setting own schedule

Disregard my post, no idea what I was thinking about but didn't include repositioning etc, just costs :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1800 per hour, to another island? From DR? Really? hmmmm.

yep. that's what one of the websites said. rolling my eyes as well. of course there are folks here who must be able to afford the price or the businesses would not exist. right? :ermm:

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
DV8, read my post again, not just the first line :). 1800 per hour to another island is too cheap to be true in DR. Maybe the website said that, but just call them to ask the real price :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi LTSteve,
Do you know how or where I would find any up to date info - prices on round trip ferry service from Puerto Rico to SD. I did a yahoo search and also a search on DR1 but couldnt come up with anything that is recent or a current web page with pricing-reservations etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Contacto
I called once and could not get through in SD but they answered in Puerto Rico and immediately started speaking to me in English.. guess my accent is not so great..

I think that the price at the time came to about the same as the air fare

May 5, 2007
DV8, read my post again, not just the first line :). 1800 per hour to another island is too cheap to be true in DR. Maybe the website said that, but just call them to ask the real price :)

That is on the high end of hourly charge for a King Air 300 (9/10 persons) but I know nothing about other charges such as repositioning etc

If you start looking into G 5's etc, expect $5,000 per hour and no advantage on a 400 mile flight

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i did read your entire post but sort of did not make a metal note to translate rate you quoted (25k) into time pattern :(
when i looked at 1800 rate from the website i figured they charge for every hour, including waiting time. so if the actual flight time is, say, under two hours, the whole trip each way will be 4 hours (pre-flight checks, loading passengers, taxing, unloading, putting in the fuel and so on). so roughly 7k, right? and i presume you'll have to pay for the plane to go back too? boils down to lots of money...

oh, the life of ricos :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
All you have to do is go to a travel agent and they will have all the info on the ferry. There is also a lot of info on line if you google it.

LTSteve