Dominican Postal Service dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathty

Apr 24, 2013
How do I know if someone is receiving their mail or not. I am trying to get a message to my husband who is visiting his Mother in Santo Domingo. His phone is not working apparently. I am not sure Verizon has service there. I have written nearly every day. I have not heard from him.

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mail is rarely delivered in the DR, although in some parts of Santo Domingo the mail system is reported to work.

If you send a Fedex letter that requires a receipt, then you can at least see who signed for it.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
How long has it been since you heard from him? Are we talking about snail mail or emails?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pretty sure that SD has a full coverage of all cell phone companies...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Verizon should work. Claro and Verizon agreed as a sale clause that Verizon users from the US should still be able to get roaming services, even on CDMA.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Not really, my cell will not work there.

dominican companies, i mean. now i read again it looks more like the husband traveled from USA to SD, correct? i know roaming is patchy: some of our visitors could use their mobiles and some could not.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
How long has it been? If you don't have any of his relatives phone numbers, then the best thing
to do is wait awhile until he contacts you.There are call centers.

Kathty

Apr 24, 2013
Yes he went from USA to SD. He has been gone since April 4, 2013 He was going to Fr

dominican companies, i mean. now i read again it looks more like the husband traveled from USA to SD, correct? i know roaming is patchy: some of our visitors could use their mobiles and some could not.
He has been gone since April 4,2013 He was traveling to San Francisco de Macacoris. I am not sure what area this is. thank you for your input.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Kathy, snail mail can take 6 months to arrive, IF it ever actually gets there. San Francisco de Macoris has been busy with a strike/protest too.

Do you not have his mother's phone #? Does he have a return flight booked?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Doesn't seem a little odd to anyone that this husband has not contacted his wife since April 4th. She can't get a hold of him but don't you think he would have made some attempt to contact her. Very strange.

LTSteve

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Doesn't seem a little odd to anyone that this husband has not contacted his wife since April 4th. She can't get a hold of him but don't you think he would have made some attempt to contact her. Very strange.

LTSteve

I agree, but it's not that unusual. Mr. AE took many trips alone to DR to visit family when our kids were still in school, and once a Dominican gets on their home soil the rest of the world often disappears. The difference is that I had all of my in-law's phone #'s [this was before widespread cell use] and could reach him if I needed to.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
He has been gone since April 4,2013 He was traveling to San Francisco de Macacoris. I am not sure what area this is. thank you for your input.

Kathy, why haven`t you called your in laws? Do you have their names and numbers?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
have you heard anything from him at all? email? text message? phone call? 3 weeks without a word is worrying. do you know where does his family lives? address? phones of his friends or family members?

is he an american citizen? if yes then i suggest you contact the embassy. you can also try a search of his name on dominican news sites to see whether he run into any trouble: arrest, accident.

other option is that he does not want to contact you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Have you tried some of his "Dominican Wive's" phone #s, Girlfriends, Cabanas, car wash, colmados ?????????
Hope that helps.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This guy isn't calling you back because he doesn't want to. And he doesn't want to because he's chillin' with the babes and the booze.

Don't worry-he'll call you back with some sob story about being in the hospital with some amoeba he caught from drinking water from the tap, eating bad fish or something along those lines. And he was in such a delirious state he couldn't remember his phone number back home to give to a family member to call you to tell you he's OK.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
This guy isn't calling you back because he doesn't want to. And he doesn't want to because he's chillin' with the babes and the booze.

Don't worry-he'll call you back with some sob story about being in the hospital with some amoeba he caught from drinking water from the tap, eating bad fish or something along those lines. And he was in such a delirious state he couldn't remember his phone number back home to give to a family member to call you to tell you he's OK.

No, he'll call when the money runs out

Status
Not open for further replies.