coconut oil by chez and brug

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
they were selling coconut oil at super super but didnt have any today and the girl working didnt know if more was coming

anywhere else in sosua or puerto plata that sells this

the bottle says made in dominican republic by chez and brug

thanks

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I bought mine in the capital. Lovely stuff!

i fail to see why it is so scarce. it is the healthiest cooking oil, exceedingly easy to make, and there is a huge supply of raw material. some businessman should start a factory, and make a killing. why import that hideous vegetable based crap like Crisol, when you can make coconut oil?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it may be another of "too expensive to sell in DR" cases. and local people may not like the look of it. i'm starting to get interested in coconut oil myself. the very same oil utilized in cooking can be also used as body lotion and hair treatment...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i think it may be another of "too expensive to sell in DR" cases. and local people may not like the look of it. i'm starting to get interested in coconut oil myself. the very same oil utilized in cooking can be also used as body lotion and hair treatment...

in the British caribbean, housewives make their own coconut oil for cooking. it as as simple as dirt, and imparts a wonderful taste to food. it is healthy in that it does not break down into transfats when it gets hot, like that evil tasting crap like Crisol. all in all, it is a winner. ever seen all those coconut trees along the north coast...hmmm

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
You can buy coconut oil from the guy who goes around the streets of sosua selling fruit for his cart.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
the bottles at super super were 8oz for 175 pesos and i bought 4 of them. i had one in my backpack while i was reading at a casita and pulled it out to put on my head for the sun. when the dominicana working saw it her eyes lit up. i offered her some and she started rubbing it in her hair. right now i have some in my mouth and swoosh it around for 15 minutes when i first wake up. its called oil pulling and its a ritual now for me. also i use it to shave and my face is like a baby's bottom.

thanks for the responses, ill visit the checkpoint and fruit vendor next time in in sosua

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Send Eddy a PM, I think he's the owner of Super Super
http://www.dr1.com/forums/members/eddy.html
Perhaps he can let you know when he's getting some more.

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
In Sosua, Antonio is the gentleman with the pushcart that sells a container of cut up fruit for 50 pesos (very good).
He sells coconut oil for 300 pesos (in a small rum bottle). But only after he makes up a batch, he doesn't have it all the time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
see? i said it, too expensive for daily use. but i see the potential there, DR exports lots of coconuts, making 100% pure organic oil for export would be a great idea. coconut oil in very much in now and lots of big names are making cosmetics with coconut...

i imagine making it yourself is still a lot of work, thou.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
see? i said it, too expensive for daily use. but i see the potential there, DR exports lots of coconuts, making 100% pure organic oil for export would be a great idea. coconut oil in very much in now and lots of big names are making cosmetics with coconut...

i imagine making it yourself is still a lot of work, thou.

it is labor intensive, and, heaven knows, we have a lot of idle hands in this land. i am sure hordes of Haitians would love a steady job husking coconuts. it is low tech work that takes minimal skill.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
true enough. plenty of almonds too and i am pretty sure the same press could be used for both. and heck, some of the local people open those almond thingies within split second, so again, something that could be done from scratch...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Talking about coconuts, what happened with literally thousands of palm trees along route 7 from Santo Domingo to Nagua?

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
To make coconut oil the old way. First take the center of the coconut and put it in the blender with a little water grind it into a find mixture than heat. When hot squeeze out the liquid and return to the heat boil off all the water and what you have left is coconut oil. My mother in-law makes it when we can find coconuts. it is great stuff.