Google voice in DR

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Anybody knows if google voice works down there? Have a friend that's pretty tech save and said he couldn't get it to work down there.Have an iPhone 4S,don't know if that makes a difference.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have Google Voice on my Android smartphone, using an app, GrooveIP. It works, but not very well. I use the Magic Jack app on my cell phone much more, and the sound quality is far superior.

Feb 7, 2007
I use my PC to initiate Google Voice service, it works well. You must set up GV through a U.S.-based IP address.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
There are also ways to setup Google Voice even not residing in the US, google it (Use a Google Voice Number from Outside the U.S.).
If you have google voice already setup in the US then it'll work just the same in the DR.
With iPhone's, you can use talkatone which is GrooVe Ip's equivalent.

I am very impressed with the quality on GrooVe Ip here on Wifi.
The key is to be physically close to the router and tweak the microphone and speaker levels to eliminate the echo.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Anybody knows if google voice works down there? Have a friend that's pretty tech save and said he couldn't get it to work down there.Have an iPhone 4S,don't know if that makes a difference.

It does work! I've used it on my computer many times. Never tried it on a cell phone though.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Use GV all the time to call the DR and when in The DR to call The US. It works well if you have a decent connection. I have Talkatone in my Samsung Galaxy Note II and it works flawlessly with an Orange flybox.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I'm having problems also. I set up my Google voice number in the US so that when someone calls me on the US number it will forward to my GV. This has worked well and allowed me to view missed calls and listen to voice mail on my computer.

I've been here a week and the only calls I can see are ones made before I left the US. I've set up a VPN but stlll no new calls. I called my US number and I have 20 voice messages.

Any ideas what is wrong?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i have been using google voice since past few years on my android cell phone with groove IP. works like a charm.
AZB

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I'm having problems also. I set up my Google voice number in the US so that when someone calls me on the US number it will forward to my GV. This has worked well and allowed me to view missed calls and listen to voice mail on my computer.

I've been here a week and the only calls I can see are ones made before I left the US. I've set up a VPN but stlll no new calls. I called my US number and I have 20 voice messages.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Sounds like your U.S. number is not forwarded to your GV number.
If the U.S. number was forwarded, there should be no voice messages on it.

35dc193.jpg

Foxy

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Sounds like your U.S. number is not forwarded to your GV number.
If the U.S. number was forwarded, there should be no voice messages on it.

Thank you that's was the problem. I changed my plan before I left but taking away call forwarding was not part of it. The company reactivated that feature, and now all is well.