Daytime violent crime in Santo Domingo

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
From the reports I have read, it seems like the vast majority of violent crime in Santo Domingo takes place after sundown.

For people who live in Santo Domingo or know the city well, how would you assess the risk of violent crime targeting foreigners during the daytime? In particular, I'm thinking of possible hold-ups to and from the airport or being robbed or murdered nearby the government and immigration offices. Are there accounts of this happening?

Also, what about foreigners being attacked inside their hotels (daytime or nighttime)?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
To be honest it isn't a problem among foreigners, the PN are the ones who are most likely to pick up foreigners and create problems for them. Your average street thugs just kill each other. The issues here are when a gringo tries to integrate into a low life level and are set up over time for a big deop, random muggings of gringos aren't an issue, although they do occur when people are drunk and forget where they are.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Violence is going to occur whether it is night or day. The advantage for the potential victim and/or victim is day allows you to recognize the make of the :bandit: perp or perps sport shoes.

Advice, :nervous: take care of yourself here the same way as you would do at home.

Regards,

PJT

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
be cautious changing money in the street around the consulate. In fact watch out changing money in the street anywhere.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Swiss Cheese

Are you sure that's good advice to give someone who lives in Switzerland?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A citizen practicing the yearly mandatory training.

Gun politics in Switzerland are unique in Europe. Switzerland does not have a standing army, instead opting for a people's militia for its national defense. The vast majority of men between the ages of 20 and 30 are conscripted into the militia and undergo military training, including weapons training. The personal weapons of the militia are kept at home as part of the military obligations; Switzerland thus has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world.

Gringo does not equal Toto, but there are fewer of us here and we can't blow away all the bad guys...too bad!
Yeah, so watch your six.!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I get "Mugged" on an almost daily basis!
In my own home!
My wife does it!
"Dame Su Dinero"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Are you sure that's good advice to give someone who lives in Switzerland?

G
That is where I go back to work every year, and yes its a pity but now u need to watch urself too, in towns especially.
The whole world is going mad!!!

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
I get "Mugged" on an almost daily basis!
In my own home!
My wife does it!
"Dame Su Dinero"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

LOL! How about these girls asking you "just" for 50 PESOS (because they're short of money)..

LIKE EVERY HOUR!

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
The way I understand things here is that the police rather kills a ladron than actually trying to arrest him.

That fact is know around the people, therefore a ladron must be really stupid or the amount of money you're carrying must be really high for these people to rob you in daylight.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
LOL! How about these girls asking you "just" for 50 PESOS (because they're short of money)..

LIKE EVERY HOUR!

i had a beggar ask me for money on an occasion when i had no coins in my pockets. i told him the situation, to which he responed

" no problem. i will just tell the barmaid to give me 50 pesos, and put it on your bar tab".

you can't make this stuff up. in the DR, you dont have to.