Counterfeit Dominican Effectivo

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
I started checking my Dominican money with a UV light. Around half of the 200 peso notes I see are counterfeit, so many that I always hand them back and ask for 100 peso notes instead.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I started checking my Dominican money with a UV light. Around half of the 200 peso notes I see are counterfeit, so many that I always hand them back and ask for 100 peso notes instead.

The high percentage of bills you believe are bad makes one wonder about the reliability of your test. On the other hand, cashiers rarely check bills of RD$100 or $200, so it would be an easy to circulate counterfeit bills.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it makes me wonder what machine do you have or where the heck you live. i used to work for few years in our own business, handling money on daily basis. on few occasions i had to turn down the payment because i thought the money was fake: mainly 2000 pesos bills, 100 dollar bills, few 1000 and once, ONCE a 200 that looked like washed out 50 reprinted with 200.

so i think either your machine is crooked or the neighbourhood is. maybe there is a money printing business few doors down from you? because, damn, that's too much...

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Be careful with those machines. My brother and I were buying some stuff in Gaspar Hernandez, and he paid with a RD$2000. The clerk flashed it throught the machine, and said it was a fake. I asked to see the proof, and she showed me and explained that it was a fake. So, with her husband (owner of the store), off we went to the local Banco Reserves to check out this bill. We handed it to the bank manager and he checked it and said it was FINE! Owner argued with him and he told him to correct his machine, because he says it was fine. Anyway he still wouldn't accept it, so I stood in line and changed it for 2, $1000 and off we went.
Moral of the story, the machine ain't always right.

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
I bought the UV light after a merchant tested the 200 pesos note I handed her and gave it back to me. There's an obvious watermark that fluoresces. Where I'm at, the only people who handle 200 peso notes are little bodegas. None of the big stores offer them as change.

I had a friend here who was always in the wrong place at the wrong time. He made some new friends drinking in a discotheque. They drove him to a bodega to buy beer--a lot of beer--and handed him bad bills. It didn't end well.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
who would bother making counterfeit $200 RD bills??? even a moderately good fake takes some effort. and there's the risk of being caught. who's going to do that for chump change?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
because the world is full of idiots, that's why... i have a visitor (she comes to DR regularly, btw) who calls dominican money "thingies" because she cannot remember the word "peso". and she asks me with every transaction "how much is that in dollars/pounds?"
for the likes of her a badly done 200 thingies note will do. she'd have no idea anyway.

in any case, by far the most popular note to fake is, of course, 2000 pesos. thingies. i have seen numerous. some stores do not accept 2000 pesos altogether. when i refused the note some people would fume. i did not give a single ****. i'd have to pay it from my own pocket if i accepted a fake note on my shift.