14 Years of Waiting For Santiago Bypass To Be Conpleted

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
VERY needed. Driving through Santiago can be a nightmare...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Read it in English, DR1 News covered it today:
14 years waiting for the Beltway
Some two months ago the Minister of Public Works and Communications, Gonzalo Castillo announced the resumption of construction work on the North Beltway and other road projects of the city with an investment of US$350 million. Castillo said that the projects are at the "stage of budget and engineering studies, in order to later sign the final letter of understanding and officially start this set of roadway solutions for the city of Santiago in May."
He said that the solution to traffic problems in the city included the construction of overpasses, ecological parks, improvements of the ecological avenue and other major roads. Other projects to be constructed are the completion of the Central Park, the installations for the National Police, and the Pontezuela Ecological Corridor, which will be 7.5 kilometers long, as well as the underpass at Estrella Sadhala Avenue at the corner of Argentina Avenue, which will be 500 meters long. In addition, the plan included a 640-meter overpass at the intersection of Estrella Sadhala and Bartolome Colon avenues, which goes to the Buena Vista sector and another at the intersection of Estrella Sadhala with Padre de las Casas avenues, which will be 441 meters long.
But businesspeople, freight haulers and bus drivers from the Cibao region are complaining the work has yet to begin. As reported in Diario Libre, they say they have spent 14 years waiting for the completion of the Northern Beltway around the city.
The road will eventually cover 24 kilometers from the Duarte Highway to the Santiago-Navarrete Highway. The project was begun in May 1999, during the first Fernandez administration, with a budget of more than RD$2 billion. The president of the Fetranreno transport union, Gervasio de la Rosa, is calling on the government to fulfill its promise to finish the avenue, after pointing out that the roadway is one of the projects that is most anticipated by the transportation sector and drivers in the Cibao.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I don't know if we'll ever see it completed. Imagine a PATANA free, CAMIONES free Santiago ***sigh*** one can only dream.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Too late, for what I care.
If I'm going to Puerto Plata I take the Samana Highway. I only drive on Duarte highway if there is no other way to get to a place.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Is truly sad how the government has basically abandoned Santiago, and the rest of the Cibao region. I hope that Danilo is different and that he keeps his promise of finishing this bypass. Anyone who lives in the city knows how chaotic, and time consuming is to drive through any of the main avenues. I feel bad for anyone who has to pass through the city every day.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is truly sad how the government has basically abandoned Santiago, and the rest of the Cibao region. I hope that Danilo is different and that he keeps his promise of finishing this bypass. Anyone who lives in the city knows how chaotic, and time consuming is to drive through any of the main avenues. I feel bad for anyone who has to pass through the city every day.
In the 5+ years I've lived in the area Santiago has gone from a tad busy to traffic-choked chaos. I don't like going there any more unless necessary...

But I disagree somewhat on the Cibao being neglected. There have been major improvements in roads and infrastructure. Just not the bypass...and I look forward to it's completion. It will save Santiago from Death by Traffic.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Pichardo will say its the fault of prd administration from 10 years ago!

Last edited:

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
I just noticed it, but there's a flaw in this article, Santiagueros have been waiting for this bypass for more than two decades, and not just 14 years like the article states. This project was started by Balaguer before 1995, the article says that it was started in 1999, but Leonel was president at that time. The sad thing is that if it weren't for Balaguer, this project would've probably have never even been started.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
But I disagree somewhat on the Cibao being neglected. There have been major improvements in roads and infrastructure. Just not the bypass...and I look forward to it's completion. It will save Santiago from Death by Traffic.

I highly disagree, is not just the bypass that has been abandoned by the central government, but many other projects that are vital for the city of Santiago. Let me just name a few; the central park of Santiago, which will be located in the old Cibao airport, this project was announce by the government way before the former airport even closed its doors, the project is more than a decade old, and nothing has been done. The "avenida ecologica" this avenue is going to start by el Retiro primero, and will end somewhere in Gurabo, is more than a decade old. The expansion to four lanes of the Santiago-Puerto Plata highway, it will probably never happen, at least not in our lifetime. Expansion, and prolongation of the Rafael Vidal Avenue (announced by the infamous Felix Bautista), expansion of the Hermanas Mirabal Avenue, Expansion to four lanes of the Juan Pablo Avenue to Moca, none of these projects which are essential to solve the traffic problems of the city have even been started. The two hospitals that have just remained in paper. During elections the PLD works on many of these projects for a bit, and then simply abandon them. Truth is, nothing has been done to really improve the infrastructure of Santiago for the pass decade, the existing one is design to handle the traffic of a 1990 Santiago, while the population and amount of cars have probably almost doubled since then.

Not to mention that many of the big projects in the pass two decades like the Cibao international airport, and the HOMS hospital have been built by local business man, because if it was up to the government Santiago wouldn't have an international airport, one that has become a total success.

Just because they pave, and fix a few existing roads here and there doesn't mean they invest back what the Cibao contributes to the national economy, we definitely deserve more than what we're getting back. Note that I'm only talking about Santiago, and not the rest of the Cibao in general, because this is the city I live in and know, I'm pretty sure the situation is probably worse in other towns and cities of the Cibao.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
23w72nd.jpg

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Years waiting for the expansion of the Santiago-Puerto Plata highway to 4 lanes, countless times hearing the government announcing the start of this project, and now all of a sudden they announced that they're just repairing the existing two lane road. Ohh and the reparation works are expected to last "10-15" years so lets not expect this highway to be built for at least two more decades.

CristalyColores.com: Ministro Obras P?blicas dice se repara en sus 2 carriles carretera Puerto Plata/Navarrete; no ser? de 4
Puertoplataoete.com - Ministro Obras Publicas revela gobierno no construira carretera a 4 carriles

So who still thinks the Cibao region is not neglected by the central government? Or is paving a few neighborhood roads sufficient investment for a region so important?

Last edited:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
And dont forget the tram from sti airport to santiago.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The present road will not be upgraded to 4, only repaired because the new 4 lanes road can't be carried out using the present trace.Leave it to news in the DR to present stuff their way...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The present road will not be upgraded to 4, only repaired because the new 4 lanes road can't be carried out using the present trace.Leave it to news in the DR to present stuff their way...

Anyone who has ever driven on the road would have noticed the difficulty in widening the road. After all this time your cronies finally state the obvious?

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009

Then why spend so many years promoting, and announcing this project? Or you're going to tell me that after all these years it was just recently that they found that out? when the first thing that should be done before starting such a project, is to study the terrain, to determine if whether its construction is possible or not.