Hispanolian parrots

ken kopas

Jun 22, 2003
The other morning while walking on El Choco Road in Sosua I spotted several Hispanolian Parrots. There was no mistaking their distinctive profile in flight and their green color. They landed in a tree at the edge of a field and gave me another good look at them confirming that they were definetly green parrots. I have been walking up and down El Choco for years and have never seen a parrot, I must have been in the right place at the right time. The parrots are becoming scarce due to loss of habitat, the ones I saw were at the edge of Casa Linda Phase 7...interesting.

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
The other morning while walking on El Choco Road in Sosua I spotted several Hispanolian Parrots. There was no mistaking their distinctive profile in flight and their green color. They landed in a tree at the edge of a field and gave me another good look at them confirming that they were definetly green parrots. I have been walking up and down El Choco for years and have never seen a parrot, I must have been in the right place at the right time. The parrots are becoming scarce due to loss of habitat, the ones I saw were at the edge of Casa Linda Phase 7...interesting.

Beautiful birds, let's hope we keep seeing more!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in 7 years here i have never seen a parrot in the wild... so sad... i hope their population is restored once again. such beautiful birds...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
We had one that visited our garden for a while, Bright green, beautiful but it was so tame I figured it had escaped from someone's home, had no idea this might have been a wild bird, not in the centre of the capital, we also have a lot of pigeon hawks (I think that is what they are), beautiful, huge feet, look like owls, maybe there is more wildlife in the city than in the wilds, I never see jack when out in campo.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there has been a flock in the neighbourhood for a while, several of them are escapees from my neighbour they used to circle around not knowing if they should come back

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Unfortunately the fact that they can "talk" has been their undoing as people want them as pets, and some people go to great lengths to capture them. Rarely will you see them in the wild nowadays.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many times i thought how nice it would be to have a parrot but then i think how nice it is for them to be free and i feel guilty. there are better off living the life...

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
When we lived in mirador sur in the capital it was very common for their chatter to wake me in the morning since we had a large tree right outside our bedroom from which they enjoyed eating the seeds. I guess the wide spaces with adult trees of the condo complex plus the parque mirador del sur right across the street were the ideal urban environment - their visits were one of the best things about our location. It has been awhile since we lived there - sad to hear that this would no longer be a common happening.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
If you have a chance to visit the colonial zone, especially the ruins of the Temple Y Hospital de San Nicolas de Bari (Calle Hostos) you will see multiple pairs up in the ruins - I think I have counted as many as 20 pairs living amongst the pigeons there. Very noisy